What are the most important gadgets?

poz

silly question, but why do you want a vario? do you intend thermaling?

Hi Ashley

It's funny you should ask that because I was just thinking the same thing. My line of thought was that I need an Altimeter and if I fancied thermalling or paragliding in the future then it would kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

However, I am need to cut back on the spending, so I figure that for the time being I will use my Garmin 196's altimeter, although it's not as accurate as a barometric one.

I've always dismissed altimeters on watches as a bit gimmicky and probably not very accurate or user friendly, but I'm slowly coming around to thinking that it could be very convenient for paramotoring. What do you use?

Cheers

Dan

re small field - at the fly in in sept i had to lift my legs up to go over the telegraph lines on the way out!!!

Re Altimeter, i have been using a cheap (but researched) altimeter watch (atech) its got good resolution and was only £20. I also used a garmin Geko as the screen is customisable and i had it showing Altitude (barometric from sea level for my maps) Speed, time + distance (very useful as it starts automatically when you start moving). I have just bought a Suunto X10 and so far am unimpressed, takes forever to acquire the satellites (3-4 mins) and you have to have the trip computer running to do it, plus it only shows qfe altitude (thats what i use) speed and distance on the one screen, plus i have to start manually, then there was the price..... may swap back, ill give it a few more goes

re small field - at the fly in in sept i had to lift my legs up to go over the telegraph lines on the way out!!!

Re Altimeter, i have been using a cheap (but researched) altimeter watch (atech) its got good resolution and was only £20. I also used a garmin Geko as the screen is customisable and i had it showing Altitude (barometric from sea level for my maps) Speed, time + distance (very useful as it starts automatically when you start moving). I have just bought a Suunto X10 and so far am unimpressed, takes forever to acquire the satellites (3-4 mins) and you have to have the trip computer running to do it, plus it only shows qfe altitude (thats what i use) speed and distance on the one screen, plus i have to start manually, then there was the price..... may swap back, ill give it a few more goes

Sounds to me like you had an ideal set up. The Geko for accurate everything bar altitude and the cheap watch for more accurate altitude. Me thinks you were tech seduced :roll::lol: