What are the most important gadgets?

poz

Paramotor and wing ordered and should be arriving next week (hopefully)

So, what else do I need? I am a self confessed gadge lover, as I think most of us are on this forum :wink: and I have a list of stuff I would love to get, but have limited budget. I know there is basic stuff that I will need, such as:

Jerry can

Funnel (is it worth getting one that filters everything out including water?)

Wind sock

Helmet/ear defenders

Stuff sack

Safety knife

Some sort of 2 stroke measuring jug?

Anything else essential :?:

And then there is the gadge list :D :

Variometer - looking at flytec 6010, but not sure whether it would be more practical to get a Suunto altimeter watch...?

GoPro HD - of course

GPS - I've already got a Garmin 196 from my GA days, but not sure if is suitable for PPG http://flighttraining.aopa.org/images/learntofly/gadgets/Garmin196.jpg

I would love to know which gadgets are genuinley useful, as right now the gadge mist has descended on me and that's when I normally end up buying without really thinking, so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Poz.

You're right that this is definately a good sport for those who like their gadgets.

Thinking through my own kit, some additional basics might include -

1) A sturdy pair of boots to protect your ankles and legs. (I use hi-leg military type boots)

2) I use clear glasses on overcast days and sunglasses on sunny days to keep flies and other stuff out of my eyes. I remember trying to pick a fly out of my eye when I was cycling and that was painful and distracting enough on the ground! (clear wrap around safety specs from screwfix)

3) A bog standard compass for navigation and confirming wind direction on the ground from your windsock. (milletts)

4) Talking of windsock, a telescopic windsock pole and spike is very useful (got mine from a kite shop)

5) An air map to show the airspace in the area you intend to fly (obtained from a flying school at a local airfield)

6) Flying suit to keep the wind off and provide pockets to store things. I use one piece motorbike waterproofs in the summer and Dickies quilted waterproof overalls when it's cold.

7) Earplugs to protect your hearing (I use custom moulded ones as I couldn't get on with off the shelf ones)

I don't use any special filtering fuel tanks. My collection of fuel containers includes a 20L metal jerry can with spout, several bog standard 5L fuel cans and an 8(ish) litre fuel/oil mixing/measuring tank. I also use a 100ml plastic measuring cyclinder for accurately decanting 2-stroke oil (got it from the wine making section of Wilkinsons)

I'm sure I'll think of some more and others will make reccomendations but these along with your list is good to be getting on with!

Regards,

Ian.

I have just got some of thesehttp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300388966190

I fill them with two stroke oil and then can mix straight into a 5ltr jerry can, I only use 5 ltr cans and only mix what I need (then I can put unused fuel in the car)

I made up some tags with "Mixed" and you guessed it ! "Not Mixed" :D these are very handy as before I could never remember if I had mixed the fuel or not.

-A mirror is very handy for checking fuel levels in flight.

Tom :D

I made up some tags with "Mixed" and you guessed it ! "Not Mixed" :D these are very handy as before I could never remember if I had mixed the fuel or not.

I use a bit of red ribbon tied to the fuel can handle to indicate when it's mixed with oil, and no ribbon when it's just petrol.

I was given the ribbon during my EP free flying course. They tie a red ribbon to the harness to indicate that you are a novice when flying among others.

Ian.

Every hobby is an excuse to buy more gadgets as far as I'm concerned.

- Anemometer, I use mine all the time to check gust speeds

- Mirror to check fuel in flight

- Flask for the car when you land on a freezing cold day

- Top quality pair of gloves and optionally electric warmers

- Dashboard to store and present your GPS etc.

- Digital SLR camera for top quality photos

- Tool box containing spark plug spanner, insulating tape, tools for the motor

Good Luck!

God I love this website :D:D:D

In one evening you guys have just:

a) Saved me a packet

b) Saved me a load of research

c) Made me feel a bit thick for not thinking of a lot of these cost cutters in the first place :oops:

Any other experienced based tips of the sport would really be welcome. Please don't be shy :D

Anyone got one of those concertina style packing devices? Any good, or just stick to a stuff sack?

Also...sorry guys, I'm on roll :) the dashboard/storage device. Can you realistically carry anything more than a couple of essentials? For example I noticed ScottishMotorMan mention a digital SLR :shock: I would love to take mine, but I ruled it out due to it's size/weight.

Anyone using a fancy watch instead of a variometer?

Sorry to be a pain asking all this basic stuff, but between you there is a ton of experience and I'm sure any newbie would find this post really helpful.

Thanks

Dan

concertina style packing devices

Had one for about two months then sold it,the problem I had and a few friends is that when you collect the leading edge together and put it in the retaining strap you then have force all the remaining air in the wing out through the wing towards the trailing edge.

I just stuff mine now every time.

Thanks Pete. Another decision made :D

Thanks Dan. I've been looking at this watch, and I know it's got the functions mentioned, but have you used a dedicated Variometer (eg Flytec) before, and if so, does the watch make a good, usable replacement?

Cheers

Dan

I don't think it updates quite quicky enough (or beeps) to replace a true variometer if you are wanting to PG or thermal, however for checking you are trimmed to cruise at a maintained altitude, or check max/min rates of descent it's worth it. I dont use any other instrument apart from the watch, I think it's perfect for PPG unless you want GPS tracking then you have to get their GPS model which Slim flies with.

Poz, regarding the windsock, a sock is not the best for showing small changes to the strength or direction.

I use a wind streamer: a 6m telescopic fibreglass fishing pole dropped over an aluminium rod that I hammer into the ground. The streamers are two 1.8m lengths of silk ribbon, one white one red.

You can tell how steady the wind is a lot easier than a windsock.

With my 5 litre fuel containers I leave the flexible hose off when unmixed and put it on the contained when mixed, simples.

Cheers,

Alan

concertina style packing devices

Had one for about two months then sold it,the problem I had and a few friends is that when you collect the leading edge together and put it in the retaining strap you then have force all the remaining air in the wing out through the wing towards the trailing edge.

I just stuff mine now every time.

here, here

Stuff it every time. When you look at the drag of our machines and the pressure inside a reflex wing then the treatment of mylars when stuffing makes burger all difference. A bit different if you are a top competition PG pilot. Stuffing is better than packing because it places less stress on the seams and allows the wing to breathe.

Stuffing is better than packing because it places less stress on the seams and allows the wing to breathe.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. :wink:

Concertina packing not only keeps the leading edge mylars in better shape (for easier launching) but has several other advatanges - depending on which bag you get. Mine has mesh vents around the leading edge and down each side, allowing it to breathe properly and easily expel air as you fold it up.

Even better, when you have to pack a damp wing, you can lay it out at home and unzip the bag to let a few folds from one side dry out in turn, then the other side - you don't have a huge mess of nylon to deal with by dumping it out of a stuff sack. Once zipped back up the whole thing can be slipped under a bed, loosely folded in half with zero stress on the fabric.

It is much neater when you come to use it again, as the lines don't get tangled - I can just unzip the bag, connect the risers and its ready to go. Its no quicker to pack away though, despite the claims, but doesn't take any longer either.

Stuffing is better than packing because it places less stress on the seams and allows the wing to breathe.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. :wink:

Concertina packing not only keeps the leading edge mylars in better shape (for easier launching) but has several other advatanges - depending on which bag you get. Mine has mesh vents around the leading edge and down each side, allowing it to breathe properly and easily expel air as you fold it up.

Even better, when you have to pack a damp wing, you can lay it out at home and unzip the bag to let a few folds from one side dry out in turn, then the other side - you don't have a huge mess of nylon to deal with by dumping it out of a stuff sack. Once zipped back up the whole thing can be slipped under a bed, loosely folded in half with zero stress on the fabric.

It is much neater when you come to use it again, as the lines don't get tangled - I can just unzip the bag, connect the risers and its ready to go. Its no quicker to pack away though, despite the claims, but doesn't take any longer either.

Why on earth do you take a stuffed wing out the bag if it's got a bit damp? Just ruffle it up a bit while still in the bag. When you stuff your wing lay the loops low down in the mushroom so the risers sit at the top of the bag with no other lines. The stuffers fly up until sunset while the packers land early to do their little routines.

stuff......

That's the point - it doesn't get packed away until after sunset when the dew falls ....

Anyway, each to his own. I treat my wing like my wife, and I find I get the best results from applying a little care & attention - a quick stuffing and ruffle in the damp would not do me any favours !! :lol:

Poz, regarding the windsock, a sock is not the best for showing small changes to the strength or direction.

I use a wind streamer: a 6m telescopic fibreglass fishing pole dropped over an aluminium rod that I hammer into the ground. The streamers are two 1.8m lengths of silk ribbon, one white one red.

You can tell how steady the wind is a lot easier than a windsock.

Good point, well made Alan.

I have taken to using 2-3 metre lengths of stripey red\white polythene barrier type tape instead of a proper windsock for the same reasons and in addition because it's cheap (or free depending where you find it!) and expendable.

Very visible from the air too.

This is the stuff I mean -

red-white-barrier%20tape.jpg

Regards,

Ian.

Stuff it....stuff it :shock: ....every time ...... :D those pesky plastic leading edge things are a pain any other way........I save myself 10 mins every time I pack away.......so I reckon I save a day every year.... :!: to go flyin :lol:

ps the plastic warning tape is a great idea until you decide to kick the windsock which I carnt seem able to stop doing......it wraps round the prop a lot better than any windsock

ps the plastic warning tape is a great idea until you decide to kick the windsock which I carnt seem able to stop doing......it wraps round the prop a lot better than any windsock

Then you must have some serious target fixation going on or an amazingly small field as I've never managed that! Lol! :)

Ian.

Alan, Ian, great idea! ta very much, that's another 30 quid towards my Go Pro :D

Think I'll go with the stuff sack. I'm flyin' off the beach and I want to get the wing off the sand, getting as little sand inside the wing as possible, so I figure the less time on the sand the better

Dan