Hello, I Need Advice Please

ricky

Hello everyone.

I’m planning to book my training course very soon and I have been looking recently for some second hand gear to get me started and noticed this on Ebay. I only weigh about 57kg and would like to know if this is at all suitable.

Motor - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Adventure-R2-Para ... 3a598dee97

Wing - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Silex-Paramotor-w ... 3a598e0787

I wouldn’t attempt to use it on my own till I’ve done my training and I wouldn’t be keeping It too long it’s just that I don’t want to lay out a great deal till I know I’m competent enough not to wreck it and it would be nice to have my own gear to get used to with an instructor.

I’m hoping to get my mate interested too who only weighs about half a stone more than me so I would probably be looking to pass it on to him once I’m sorted and got some better gear.

For my training I’m looking at http://www.flyingfishparamotor.com/trai ... ng-15.html because their not a million miles from me but if anyone has any recommendations then please feel free as it’s not booked yet.

I live in Walsall so I would need to travel a bit to fly which isn’t a problem as I have a van and this might seem like a daft question but is it just a case of asking a farmer if you can use his field or are their certain dedicated sites in the midlands. I used to work for a fella that used to go to look at jobs in a helicopter and he would just land in any field then ask the farmer afterwards if it’s okay but I don’t have that sort of brass neck.

Thanks in advance

Hi

I do not know too much about the paramotor, how old it is or any known issues? It would be wise to ask this question in the paramotors section.

The wing seems too big for you? but again, It would be better to ask in the paramotor "wings" section.

I would certainly NOT buy a wing from e bay that is of unknown providence without an up to date service report form Aerofix or The Loft.

Training - I do not know the company. but this doesn't mean they are not very popular or very good? I am trained so take very little interest in company's, people that offer training. If you are in Walsall then why not search here for a local instructor. I gather that the PMC have a pretty good training syllabus and there is a dude on this forum who works from Gloucester? Pete? It is better to get the training as close to you as possible due to the weather being a fickle mistress. If you drive for 2 hours then it gets called off its going to be a bummer, you may also be able to take advantage of an evening session with short notice etc.

I would also suggest that whist it may be alluring to buy all the kit, you really should consider getting at least some of the instruction first. I know that some instructors will not train you on anything, you may turn up with your motor and be told that they will not train you on it, rare but does happen! An instructor is also the best person to offer you advice on kit, they may in some cases be biassed to certain manufacturers but even when this is the case it is not in there interest to sell you or recommend anything that would hinder your progress or be unsafe.

Good luck with the training.

Dan

THATS AN ADVENTURE PPG WITH A RADNE RAKET ENGINE FITTED,IT WOULD FLY YOU EASY AT 57KG.BUT YOU WOULD WANT TO TAKE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS ABOUT PARAMOTORS WITH YOU SO THEY CAN CHECK IT OUT,AS DAN SAYS DONT BUY A WING FROM EBAY ESP WITHOUT RECENT TEST FROM LOFT AREOFIX ETC/PLENTY OF GOOD WINGS FOR SALE ON THIS SITE AND OTHER FORUMS. GET YOUR TRAINNING DONE FIRST PETE BALWIN FROM GLOUS IS YOUR MAN AND HE IS LOCAL FOR YOU TO GET TO,, DONT BUY TILL YOU HAVE STARTED TRANING AS YOU NEED TO LEARN GROUND HANDLING FIRST..YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME TO THE FEILD IN WORCS TO WACTH US WHEN WE ARE OUT,,,PS REMEMBER WHEN YOU CAN FLY MOST OF THE AIRSPACE AROUND BIRMINGHAM WILL BE A NO FLY AREA,,,

Ricky ive looked at the silex on ebay and its not the wing for you.buy your kit from the chaps on this site,that way you will get decent kit.someone on here will know of kit to suit you.i take it you want second hand kit or can you afford new..have you done any type of flying paragliding or ppg.if you want to have a tandum paragliding flight let me know.wont cost you anything....

Thanks lads

I’ll take your advice and hang fire on buying anything just yet.

This Pete fellow sounds like he could be handy for me. Does anybody have any contact details for him? If not I’ll try to find him on here when I have more time.

Jock – top man, I'm definitely interested in your offer. I’m working down Plymouth at the moment mostly Monday to Friday and some Saturdays. I imagine you lads go out whenever the weather permits but if it happens to be on a weekend the please give me a txt/call. I’ll be down there like a shot even if it’s just to have a chat and see what it’s all about. Never done any ppg whatsoever. I did a tandem skydive on holiday last year and thought the best bit I thought was the glide down and it got me thinking about this sport. I wanted second hand kit to start with because I was thinking it would be the sensible option – been watching a few videos on youtube of people smashing up their equipment. Plus my mates interested and I would just pass it on to him on the cheap if he wanted to get into it. New or really good second hand kit would be my aim once I know what I’m doing with it.

Jock, Dan – Thanks a lot. Up till now I have been finding it all a bit inaccessible for someone new so your advice is very much appreciated.

Ricky

07823 884034

• 2 weeks later...

No worries Ricky, if you want to know anything just ask.

Very short notice but will be out today if your anywhere near Worcester. not too sure of times and I won't be around for long, probably just a quick hour. Maybe if the weathers looking good on a weekend (wind around 5mph +/- up to about 10mph on the surface and a nice day) put a post up here asking if anyone is out then you can arrange to have a look and a chat.

The guy Pete has username "pete b" on here. his website is http://www.paramotortraining.org/ I don't know him personally but I gather he is good and follows the PMC training syllabus, just ask around here or give him a shout. If you want to try paragliding first then Mark Dann of Beyond Extreme has to be the best in the business, an elementary pilot course would be a great starting point. you can find him here http://www.beyondextreme.co.uk/index2.html

Dan

Ricky,

I did my training with Pete B out in France, he comes highly recommended. Not only will he teach you to fly safely but at the end of your training you will also know all the ins and outs of your kit as well. What Pete doesn't know about motors ain't worth knowing, he is the guru.

He's also quite a nice chap, but you should try and avoid being alone with him in the dark :)

Good luck with your training.

Ricky,

I did my training with Pete B out in France, he comes highly recommended. Not only will he teach you to fly safely but at the end of your training you will also know all the ins and outs of your kit as well. What Pete doesn't know about motors ain't worth knowing, he is the guru.

He's also quite a nice chap, but you should try and avoid being alone with him in the dark :)

Good luck with your training.

did some one mention THE DARK :twisted::twisted:

Hi Ricky if you want a chat just give me a ring on 0770 338 II97, (always on).

sorry for the delay picking up on this post Ive been a bit busy.