Where to buy????????????

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any top tips on where to look for a good second hand paramotor wing. I am 74Kg with a RAD Paramotor (25 Kg inc fuel). I am assuming that I require a small/medium wing. I only have a budget of about £500 at the moment which is quite limiting I know but I need to save the rest for training.

Many thanks

Sam :coptor:

At 74kg with a RAD I would advise you to stick with a refular PG wing rather than a reflex paramotor wing as you do not really have enough thrust to safely fly level at faster trim settings. Reflex wings are more power hungry than PG wings and excess thrust is something a RAD does not possess.

Your sizing guess is also a little out. Get at least a medium if not a large PG wing. Reducing your wing loading will help your low power output. You will be slow compared to everyone else though.

Be very careful buying a second hand wing, after all, your life could depend on it.

Look on this (Paramotorclub) web sites classsifieds ads.

And this web site also.

http://www.paramotorsuk.co.uk/wings.asp

That should get you going.

Wings can be checked by two companies.

http://www.theloftworkshop.co.uk and

http://www.aerofix.com

That will get you started.

Cheers

Mike

See if you can find a medium Apco Thrust. The first ones produced should be selling for around about that figure. Its what I use with my Rad MXL , so easy to launch it can be done no-handed, on the other hand the wing I had before that was a large Apco Fiesta which was hopeless, not so much the wing but the size meant that wing just didnt want to know on forward launches, always falling to one side. The old Swing Arcus,s used to be easy for ppg also. I tried my mates small Apco Tetra, I flew it but I wouldnt recommend it to a beginer weighing what I do (81kg).

Hi Sam

I would also tend to be of the opinion that a non reflex might be best to learn with, as you have limited power. I wouldn't neccessarily think a large size would be good though. I saw a guy learn to fly a 120 Rad on a large hill flying wing. He weighed 80 kilos or less and took the wing back to the dealer after one scarey flight. He had no speed and it wallowed around sluggishly. Fell back behind him when he powered up to climb. The wing was a Z one. They weren't bad wings according to many.

I'm reluctant to advise but for me personally, would keep the wing loading up and try to find an efficient wing with a glide ratio of above 8 to 1. Try to find a dhv 1 that will achieve this, but the low end dhv 1-2's fly better when you've a few flights logged. Good luck

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone had any top tips on where to look for a good second hand paramotor wing. I am 74Kg with a RAD Paramotor (25 Kg inc fuel). I am assuming that I require a small/medium wing. I only have a budget of about £500 at the moment which is quite limiting I know but I need to save the rest for training.

Many thanks

Sam :coptor:

ads_item.php?id=85

http://www.para2000.org/wings/index.html

Forgive my ignorance as I am new to this but isn't a wing more stable (safe) with a higher loading on it?

Hi Sam

just as a point of note the biggest safety feature is your ability to understand and choose the correct weather to fly in.

Spring is the time of year where the most accidents happen, this will all be covered in your training

best of luck with your choice.

Simon

Which RAD paramotor do you have? They are not as bad as some think. I am 90 Kgs naked and I have flown my mates RAD Arrow on a medium Swing Arcus (too small really), taking off with the trimmers out. I still got off OK and flew a couple of curcuits, even had a bit of thermaling. The biggest downside of RADs is the noise, but this can be lessened.

I do agree though, that you would be better off with a free flying wing. Probably a medium, if it is too big for you it can be difficult to ground handle.

I (like many people) have motored on an Arcus and they make a very good wing to start out with. Phone the seller and ask him about getting it checked out by one of the inspection companies because if it gets a clean bill of health it looks very suitable.

I have the sting powerplay 160 wich is a development of the swing arcus, they are a great begginers wing, very stable and docile, very easy to launch, I flew all through last summer in some quite dramatic thermals and it never strayed too far from directly above my head, you will biuld your confidence well on one of these wings.

Just read an article about the Swing Arcus being prone to parachutal stalls. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Sam

:acro:

No but if it happens just push the As gently and it will start Flying as normal again

You would only get in to a parachutal stall if

You applied the brakes slowly and progressively

You flew in to a gust that slowly stopped your forward motion and then the gust dropped off