paramotoring in Ireland

Donegalwing,

As Norman mentioned ( thanks Norman) there is a website which was set-up by a number of us pilots in Ireland ( a group of us Cork based): www.paramotorireland.com

We set this up as a contact point for pilots in Ireland, and as an information resource, dealining particularly with flying in Ireland. We hope to add information very soon for visiting pilots, once we make some progress with simplifying the process of legalising the flying in Ireland.

At the moment in Ireland, you need to apply for an exemption, by producing our BMAA or BHPA paperwork, and provide a class 2 medical, and the Irish Aviation Authority will legalise you, by issueing an 'exemption'. This is soon to be replaced by a liscence, which will we assume be much the same as the exemption.

It is a bit of hastle, and for this reason, many pilots have not yet applied for their exemptions. This explains why those flying here have been keeping their heads low!

A group of us who have been flying together have been getting our paperwork organised, are hoping to be 'legalised' this side of Christmass, and as soon as we are we can finally be more open with our activities! At that point we will publicise our flying a bit more and welcome people to join us to see some flying and talk paramotoring! All will be welcome to join us then!

As soon as we make progress on simplifying the rules for visitors, we hope to promote a few flyins here in Ireland and invite pilots North and South in Ireland and particularly UK pilots who have been put off by our 'regulations' in Ireland.

Many thanks. Hope to see some of you in Ireland in 2008!

Oisin :lol:

Hi again Oisin.

I looked into getting an exemption after your last post as i am jkeen to fly in your beautiful country. There are many pilts in the UK who dont have BHPA or BMAA quals, we dont actually need them here. I wrot to your CAA to find out what they would consider as an "approved" training. They havent replied yet. I was hoping that one of our independent trainers, whose training is every bit as good as the BHPA, could get his course approved by your CAA.

I will try and get over there in Feb around the 18th and meet up with you guys.

Francis

Francis,

We would love to meet anyone interested in flying here.

As I say most Irish pilots have been flying 'without exemption' here for some time, and it may just be easier for you to join us and keep the head low.

We will however be working to try to make it easier for visitors!

Keep in touch.

Oisin

Hi Oisin,

Like Francis, I would love to fly in Ireland. I spent part of my youth in the North and in and out of Faranfore a couple of times in the eighties for an owner with a C421.

....we are we can finally be more open with our activities! At that point we will publicise our flying a bit more and welcome people to join us to see some flying and talk paramotoring! All will be welcome to join us then!

And just a small scoop of the black stuff.

PS: I tried to leave a note on your website but for some reason it never appeared - never mind. Just form an Ireland Branch of the paramotor Club. :roll::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Guys

Many thanks for your help...I have also spoken to a guy in Omagh Co.Tyrone who is extremely helpfull

I am on the border to Northern Ireland so I wouldnt be too put off by the licence issue, besides by the time I learn to fly it will most probably be put to bed!!!

At the moment it looks like I will head over to Simon for a few lessons during the hols...weather permitting!!

We also have a flying club in Letterkenny with a 350 metre tarred strip , hangarage and clubhouse(mobile home with a heater!!) with around 16- 20 microlights flying out of here, ranging from a flex wing ..X-air...Icarus c-42...Rans...to name abut a few

We hold an annual fly-in every year in August.

Check out the website for more info and some pics...... www.letterkennyflyingclub.com

Black stuff galore that weekend Norman!