HD video / how to view ?

Dave,

It records in H.264 but saves it as MPEG4 so you need to download a player that will play that format.

I use Quicktimehttp://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/ it's free and works well.

Tom :coptor:

Thanks Tom. I can play the video now but it jumps a few frames each second. Can I get round that too. Nice clear picture though

Dave

HD video uses a hell of alot of RAM memory.......

I've got some Pinnacle software, and when just viewing HD tapes it can use up to one Gig of memory and even more when editing. My old PC only had one Gig of RAM and that did the same thing, jumping frames and a chequered effect appearing on the screen.

Thanks Tom. I can play the video now but it jumps a few frames each second. Can I get round that too. Nice clear picture though

Dave

Hi Dave - video formats, such as H.264, are very complex to decode and require a lot of processing power - especially when dealing with HD quality.

Your problem is likely due to one of the following (or combination of): graphics driver, cpu utilisation, H.264 decoder efficiency.

Graphics Driver: We will skip this - as it sounds like you have checked online for the latest version of graphics driver for your PC.

CPU: Can you check the cpu utilisation when you play back a typical clip.

Does it typically max out for most of the playback? If so, there are a number of ways to possibly reduce the cpu usage.

What PC do you have; CPU, GPU and RAM ?

Have you noticed much difference in the frame skipping when you reduce the video window size ?

Decoder: An alternate option is to use a more efficient decoder (if one exists). For H.264 video there are a number of free and open-source fast decoders available.

But before going down this route please let me know more about your PC

Cheers,

Andy