Here's a real GEM (and NOT Dell!)

Cracking video Dave :!:

A lot can be learnt from it, I've certainly made some of those mistakes when training. I knocked the bottom of the cage when attempting a low fly past due to the lag between opening the throttle and gaining more lift.

I think one of the most important points is that there is a short delay between pulling on the brakes and getting the flare you're hoping for when there is no brake input. Apply a little brake sooner in the glide to slow you down, then brake for the flare.

Cheers,

Alan

I think one of the most important points is that there is a short delay between pulling on the brakes and getting the flare you're hoping for when there is no brake input. Apply a little brake sooner in the glide to slow you down, then brake for the flare.

I'd certainly go with that idea with a reflex wing. I reckon there's 2 very distinct phases to landing a reflex, speed reduction then progressive but full flare. Perhaps not though on a basic PG wing where you have less energy to start with.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd certainly go with that idea with a reflex wing. I reckon there's 2 very distinct phases to landing a reflex, speed reduction then progressive but full flare. Perhaps not though on a basic PG wing where you have less energy to start with.

this could sound a silly q.. so excuse me if it is...

my synthesis is reflex,, but for take offs and landings i have trimmers in... so isnt it therefore behaving like a pg wing? or do you guys land on trimmers out???... i thought that would be way too fast for me??

Although there is nothing to say that you can't land with the trimmers out, it is best kept for those windy days if you get caught out.

If you are still making headway into wind with the trimmers in, leave them there to land. If not let them out a little until you are.

Don't forget that the wind speed will be less closer to the ground in most cases.

SW :D