What do you like/dislike about your paramotor?

Hello Dave,

I fly a Parajet Macro I have found this to be a fantastic machine lots of power for those nil wind days you will not struggle to launch.

I bought the macro because i want and do fly cross country so i wanted a machine capable of this and to be honest even if you just want to fly around a small area i would still recommend one.

As for other machines who fly from our club I would certainly recommend a Pap paramotor, one chap who flys a Pap 80 1400 weighs over 16 stone and this amazing little machine flys him although you have to have good ground handling/take off technique which he has.

A massive plus on the Parajet is its an English machine the parts and after sales service are second to none thats all i can realy say Dave cheers Alan.

I also have a Parajet Macro......And although I've only had one flight, it seems a great machine. It's very powerful and does'nt seem to struggle to lift me off the ground ( I weigh 15 stone). Build quality is also very good, and it starts on the button every time. :D

I have a Custom Air cruiser.

Good Points.

Lots of power, deeper sound than most other 2 strokes.

Strong good frame and cage, made of Titanium.

Prop is fully encased by cage and not sticking out at the rear!

Very strong netting on cage, which is good for beginners.

Nice throttle.

Parts easy to get as its English made.

Lipo Battery option! (less than 300grams)

Bad points.

Cage does not fully collapse down, but still esay to get into any Hatch Back.

I noticed both Parajet owners did'nt put in any bad points. So I will.

Parajet Bad Points.

Can be Heavy

Many people dont like the throttle.

No Netting (finally an option)

I do like the Parajets a lot though..... Would be my second choice!

Just my opinion!

Cheers

Mikey

Edited by Guest

I fly a pap 1100 as

Good points:

small cage size

parts easily bought through skydragons

comfortable harness

electric start and pull start

since changing the carb its been pretty reliable and I have seen a marked improvement in economy

Bad points:

solo engine so a little down on power for the wieght

could be easier to pull start

one peice cage

other than that its been pretty good and has given some lovely flights.

Custom Air Cruiser

Great Support as UK Built (spares arrive within a couple of days and manufacturer will carry out service for you)

Plenty of Power

High Build quality

Strong Titanium Frame

Light

As Mike mentioned frame does not break down into 4 pcs but I can fit mine into the rear seat of (BMW 3 series saloon, Audi A4 saloon) no problem at all

Down side

Quite pricey - but as with everything in this life you get what you pay for

Eddie

I have a parajet macro, I did my training on a macro and decided that I didn't even want to try anything else.

Positives:

-Loads of power

-British built

-Great service and very quick on parts (not that I have needed anything major)

-Easy to take apart and fits in the back of an audi a3 (with one seat folded down)

-Huge tank (long range)

-Good fuel economy

-Good design

-Looks the best out of an paramotor I have seen (in my opinion)

Negatives:

-Expensive to buy new (they all are)

-Bloody heavy, you don't want to be stood around for long with it on your shoulders!!

-Much better looking than the horendous looking flat top!(my opinion :shock: )

-Fuel tank does not come out for filling up at petrol station on an xc

~~~~trying to think of any more~~~

My wing is a Paramania revolution, I did my training on a gofly and was very happy with the quality of the wing so decided to stick with them and got the revolution straight after my training and fly it in full reflex using the tip stearing and find it very nice to fly.

I got all my kit second hand and that worked well for me, the wing came from ebay (£1000) and the motor was from a private seller (£2800) if you get a second hand wing then you can get checked for around £50-60 at the loft or aerofix (and more im sure).

My only other bit of advice is buy a british motor, for two reasons 1:supporting our economy 2:easy to take back if the need arises :?

Tom :coptor:

I wont diss British made too hard because I would like to think we make the best stuff over here and hope we will in the future. At the moment though, do buy the best looking motor you can get, because it's nice to have something nice to look at when you land.... 40 miles short of where the guy with the doggy looking thing sets down. Then he pulls his tank and runs to get petrol, easily,at the nearest fuel station, and sets of again, before you can catch his rear end up. Dont forget, also, when you're writing out your next cheque for a £240 prop, that he didn't have to.

Sorry..... You aske for it ! I'm a nice guy though.... Ask Simon

I wont diss British made too hard because I would like to think we make the best stuff over here and hope we will in the future. At the moment though, do buy the best looking motor you can get, because it's nice to have something nice to look at when you land.... 40 miles short of where the guy with the doggy looking thing sets down. Then he pulls his tank and runs to get petrol, easily,at the nearest fuel station, and sets of again, before you can catch his rear end up. Dont forget, also, when you're writing out your next cheque for a £240 prop, that he didn't have to.

Sorry..... You aske for it ! I'm a nice guy though.... Ask Simon

Nice one Dave lol and where are you getting a Macro three bladed propeller for £240 are you holding out on us Parajet broken prop sufferers.

Saturne Konig 430, 3 cyl radial

pros:

Comfortable

Reliable (12 years old)

Small demountable cage

Demountable tank

Powerful - 21hp

Quiet - scimitar prop with winglets and a large exhaust.

Ali cage which easily bends back into shape ...

Cage encloses prop

cons:

Heavy, 28kg (dry)

Fuel consumption 4.5l/h/

9 litre tank

No in flight battery charging

2 stroke? ...

No manufacturer support at all ...

Richard

Good groundhandling and knowing where the kill switch is will help to ease your fear there Mike. My mates prop is within the frame (and only 3 inches clearance) and he still managed to wrap a line around his freewheeling prop (clutched motor) Brakeline too. Pulled his hand back into the cage and broke his finger. I must admit to damaging a line against my prop too. Dont intend doing it again though.

Dave

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENu5WAuwLM&NR=1[/youtubevideo]

Not bashing the brand featured. Loads of them will do it. Mine wont thats all.

Another good reason to have the prop well back away from the netting is to keep your fingers if they should poke through it. Yes, good technique should prevent that too I know but it still seems to happen alot.

Dave

[youtubevideo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KENu5WAuwLM&NR=1[/youtubevideo]

Not bashing the brand featured. Loads of them will do it. Mine wont thats all.

Another good reason to have the prop well back away from the netting is to keep your fingers if they should poke through it. Yes, good technique should prevent that too I know but it still seems to happen alot.

Dave

Reminds me of my first take off attempt at The Flagpole!!........... :roll:

Reminds me of my first take off attempt at The Flagpole!!........... :roll:

And your prop is in one lump still if I am not mistaken :D

Dave to be fair mate, I see this happen alot, not just from students and flying different paramotors, at a guess, I would say that out of every 10 times it happens, I see a prop go. Its just not an every day thing for people without a flatty as you assume.

I have fallen and stumbled a 1000 times over the years and only ever broken one prop.

Ref the take off:

It should have been a) aborted, or at least b) held off on full power until everything was nice and symmetrical.

If your piloting skills require you to have a frame made from scaffold to save you money on props, I would suggest spending a day or two with an instructor.

SW :D

I think you're pretty lucky then Simon. Probably fairly natural to it aswell. Mike seemed to think that the prop being too far back out of the cage was a problem. I was just trying to demonstrate why it is placed with good clearance. If you skin the braid off a line it's gonna cost you £ 8. If you smash a prop it's £100 to £350. There are compromises on all machines.

This is all information that the chap who started this thread needs to know. He has even outlined the specifications that he requires. None of us has a commercial interest now, so I dont suppose the facts need to be restrained.

I do apologise if that video embarrassed anyone.

Dave

Who has it embarrassed?

we don't know who it is, and if we did... We have all done it as some point. nothing to be embarrassed about. (unless he was being watched by the Sweedish 18yr olds girls Vollyball team.) then that would have been a tad :oops:

@ 22 seconds, to much left input for too long, followed by to much Right hand brake for too long.

When the wing is directly over your head it is trying to lift you, as it moves off to a side, that lift is reduced. The effect is a 'pulse' of lift every time the wing is over your head, and reduced lift when off to a side. (this causes its own problems, and can make you feel very disorientated during take off.

He was picked up @ 26 seconds while the wing was off to one side leaving the inevitable pendulum effect to kick in and finish the job.

If its not flying nicely over your head and (under control) abort the take off, set up and try again.

This post remided me of another youtube video I have seen.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

The usual suspects are commenting that the answer to all his problems is to get a flattop but in reality he just need to spend more time learning how to ground handle a wing imho

Tom :acro:

Tom

I'm still about the only Flattie pilot in UK.. I've found it to be leagues ahead of others I've flown and much cheaper to run. It suits me....Forums are for the sharing of information..Rest assured that I enjoy reading everyones posts.. aswell as sharing my findings. I was very glad to discover many safety points about paramotors that I would never have thought of..It's probably made me a safer opperator. This state was developed through the sharing of information. IF the Flat-Top was known to be the safest unit available, and someone was known to be requiring max safety, would it not deserve a mention ?

Forum.....a place where information can be sought or exchanged, freely

BTW. No offense taken

regards

Dave