New airspace GPS

dantheman

At first glance it looks in many ways ideal. It performs the task that NATS have invested effort into, helping you remain clear of controlled airspace.

What it does seem a little short on is navigation information, but that is after a quick look at the website as I am about to vanish out of the door and across the horizon.

It looks like a bargain and I suspect it has been designed to be so.

At first glance it looks in many ways ideal. It performs the task that NATS have invested effort into, helping you remain clear of controlled airspace.

What it does seem a little short on is navigation information, but that is after a quick look at the website as I am about to vanish out of the door and across the horizon.

You can upgrade and get the navigation pack, bit pricey then though

You can upgrade and get the navigation pack, bit pricey then though

I think the battery life may be cut quite a bit shorter than 2 hours out in the cold as we dont have the luxury of cockpits, you can buy a battery extender(whatever that is) but again more expense.

Beside, theres no excuse for not knowing the airspace you are using, most modern GPSs have a proximity alarm wich can be set for various locations before flying.

• 3 weeks later...

Looking a bit closer at the amended site it does seem to be a really handy piece of kit. When you look at what a standard GPS costs and then add mapping and navigation functionality to it the cost can rise well above this price point.

The Airspace alerting tool with its free update service adds value; NATS have been really proactive here.

AirspaceWarning

• WARNINGS
    Audible and visual warnings are given for Airspace and Obstacles.
    The warnings occur at 10 minutes range
    Warnings are altitude sensitive
    Warnings contain relevant information such as class, distance, levels, name
    The system contains the full obstacle database as per the CAA database
    An altitude information box gives current GPS altitude for comparison
    NAVIGATION PACK
    For users who want the extra functionality of being able to enter and store routes, a navigation pack is available and offers the following features.
    Ability to set destination and add waypoints simply by pressing on the screen.
    Enroute Track, Bearing, Groundspeed, Distance and ETE information
    Load and save an almost unlimited number of routes into the system. Set often-used routes as favourites.
    View routes including distances and bearings
    Reverse routes when you get to your destination

• 3 months later...

Judging by the bearing, height and distance from lyneham.

Do I get a prize for figuring out someone was doing a spot of dogging over White Horse hill? And the start point was just east of Grove? :D

I might have to get me one of these new fangled iPhone things.

Colin B