Light wind take off

Tried my first very light/nill wind take off today on my Pap ros, Fusion wing.

Try as I might the wing just dragged behind me,could not get it more than 45%.

I then put on my Paragliding/Ground handling harness,tried again and the wing popped straight up and sat perfectly above as I ran forward.

Am I doing anything wrong ?

I then put on my Paragliding/Ground handling harness,tried again and the wing popped straight up and sat perfectly above as I ran forward.

Just a thought but maybe it was easier to run without your motor on hence being able to get the wing up in the low wind conditions.

make sure your hands are only going up and not pushing too forward too much on the a lines, remeber you are only guiding the wing up not pushing it.

Dave

Thanks everybody,

Will try your advice next time.

Never tried a power launch,always worried I could blend my wing and lines so I make sure the wing is flying before I hit the power.

Whats the technique?

You do not need to power launch a fusion it will almost come up with no As at all.

Are you sure you are not pulling on the As too much?

Looking back I think I was pulling way too hard on the A's,

Each time I failed to get the wing overhead I pulled harder than the time before until I was pulling with The A's well in front and almost forcing them downward.

You do not pull on the As you just use them to guide the wing up over the cage, Just do it gently

Looking back I think I was pulling way too hard on the A's,

Each time I failed to get the wing overhead I pulled harder than the time before until I was pulling with The A's well in front and almost forcing them downward.

you dont have to "force"the wing to fly, it already knows how to do that, it just needs a "little" guideance :D:wink:

Dave

Power power power everytime.......go on try it once ......it works for me no broken lines no mangled wing I fly the same set up as you....I hit full throttle whilst looking at the ground for around ten seconds then ease off a bit and start to lean back when I am looking forward I am back up to full throttle and OFFF the wing just Pops up over you once the wing is up I use the throttle accordingly .....SIMPLES :P

If you're timid about powering through the wing lift off (wash can be scary), try running your motor up to comfortable push levels and blowing air OVER TOP of your wing for 20-30 seconds. Sharply chop power and begin your run to let the wing climb through the airflow you created, and when you feel it 'pop' off the cage you know it's clear of wash and you can power back up to takeoff level.

Also remember how important those tiny steps are when wing is coming through "hard point" and don't forget to make them with motor on as they translate into a large amount of vertical wing motion.

The Fusion has no hard point I can feel. With a start like above it just wants to fly as soon as you start moving when set to takeoff trim.

Vid courtesy captain of the maritime reflex squadron:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]