The Higest High

• 1 year later...

5,400ft for me..... or 1 mile. It's pretty amazing actually- I'm located pretty centrally in Northern Ireland and from that height you can see pretty much all of the top end of the country on a clear day.

Regards,

GD

PS- got some great pictures of the Giant's Causeway last Sunday, check photos section at website below, or go straight using this link- http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/Pelgis/FL ... trimCoast#

www.gordondunn.co.uk

H&E R80/115, H&E R120/99, Paramania Action 27

I love to fly high. I like to cruise at around 4000 but go to 6000 if I can. You can see the curve of the earth and on a clear day England looks very small. Above hampshire you can see to the Bristol Channel and the isle of Wight, the Dorset coast to weymouth and London and eastbourne. Its usually raining North of the M4. I crossed the Solent a while back at 6200 on tick over and had to lose another 2500 on the other side to get under a 2500 ceiling. If you climb out gently you can glide back down a long long way in the event of engine failure (I wonder if there is a fuel saving in this?)Pete?

I have not been much higher than 6500 on a PPG but on a PG I have been to 10500. Everything is very blue and the earth, even big mountains, is flat like a map.

we have a FL 105 over the Island so I suppose I should take the PPG up to say "Hi" to Norman or Ian(s) if (t)he(y) is(are) flying to Spain or North Africa, as (t)he(y) go(es) by. Will a (my) two stroke go that high?

Mmmmmmm, nitrous :)

supercharger better, its the thinner air that causes the problem, to make it work to its best efficency you would proabbly need EFI too.

I would like to see someone fit a supercharged bike engine to a trike to see just how high they could get.

If you climb out gently you can glide back down a long long way in the event of engine failure (I wonder if there is a fuel saving in this?)Pete?

Possibly

If you climb out on full slow to maximise lift and then cut your engine and let the trims out and put full bar on you should be able to cover quite a distance

????

Dont know for sure, but it would be intresting to find out :?:?:?

Pete b

My record is a smidgen over 4100 feet on my Reaction and RAD combination. I was bumping in to the bottoms of the clouds so had to stop going up but on another day I plan to keep on going :-) It gets mighty cold up there.

Someone else mentioned EFI. I've been wondering about this myself. Does anyone have any experience of EFI on a two stroke?

Back home at the weekend and looking forward to getting my wing back from the Loft. Please oh please can someone do something about the weather ;-)

Stuart

If you climb out gently you can glide back down a long long way in the event of engine failure (I wonder if there is a fuel saving in this?)Pete?

Possibly

If you climb out on full slow to maximise lift and then cut your engine and let the trims out and put full bar on you should be able to cover quite a distance

????

Dont know for sure, but it would be intresting to find out :?:?:?

Pete b

Remember that maximum speed does not necessarily correspond to maximum glide distance.

I think full speed trim and speedbar at altitude would make you drop like a stone.

My H&E + Large Action stops climbing at about 5k. Got to 7.4k in Scotland but assisted by the terrain and thermals.

Still got a hanglider (solar wings Typhoon) with trike unit and solo 210 (no power exhaust). On t is I could reach behind and lean the carb when over 3k which smoothed the running and made it more fuel efficient.

Could try and fit a mod to do this on a PPG:

Regards

Whitters.

If you solder a length of (for example) push bike brake cable outer onto the top of your mixture control, then put a knob of some sort on the other end, that'll work. An exhaust temp sensor, or better yet an air/fuel mixture meter would help you get the best out of it

Mixture screws seem to be put in the least accessible spot when you have the engine running. It makes setting up a pain in the bum!

Would something with the power of say, a leaf blower, provide any measure of forced induction?

My high is 1600m but I have never take an aim to get high. Some of guy on our Island gets relly high. More than 4000m. My friend has reached 2000m in the end of august. For him its a real progress because he was afraid to look down from high buildings. :)

On russian forum one guy wrote how he flew 60km cross country forward with his back(back to front) while tried to reach high! Wind changes with the height.

For him its a real progress because he was afraid to look down from high buildings.

That's an interesting point. I was in a skyscraper in the USA last week, about 500 feet up, and I felt much less secure standing behind super strong glass looking out over the Atlanta skyline than I do at 2000 feet in my paramotor. It is all about perspective and frame of reference. :-)

Stuart

• 1 month later...

Joined the mile high club and some yesterday, up to 7500ft on Simons Parajet and the view was worth it (thanks Francis) as was the long engine off glide back but I reckon once you are above the clouds there is not a lot to be gained apart from frostbite. Next time must remember to take the camera for some cool pics....