FAI world paramotor speed record

FAI world paramotor speed record

A new FAI powered paraglider world speed record was set on 19 September from Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany, by Raffaele Benetti (IT). On his U-Turn Morpheus with Vittorazzi Fly 100 Evo 18 motor he achieved an average speed of 64.94 km/h and top speed of 68.63 km/h.
Just in case anyone missed this news...

At just over 40mph - that is much slower than some folk have claimed elsewhere.

Is there somebody out there willing to bring the record home? - we showed the world with Thrust2 and ThrustSSC :wink:

Time for your jet propelled paramotor Simon ! :lol::lol::lol:

Andy

If I am not mistaken Surrey-Dad while faster speeds are no doubt legit and honestly stated, they are in circumstances that would not qualify to set a speed record in e.g. strong tail wind (?) - ..... and then, as with all records like the distance and altitude records (both of which have been exceeded unofficialy), the other requirement is of course having the officials form the appropriate auditing organisation to confirm the conditions and qualification of the equipment been used - they guys need to be in place when the record is attempted - otherwise you could break it by however much, but it qouldn;t be noted as a record officialy.

Pete B and I both clocked 74mph on the tip to tip (mph not a typo)

And whitters, 76mph!

Not offical of course, but I am sure that many will have had similar speeds on high wind flights.

I know Pete B looked in to the rules and regs and it is doable. .. ..

There are also a number of UK records that are as yet, un set.

SW :D

I believe so Phil. Hence my ThrustSSC remark.

Andy

That's a respectable speed then. Not outlandish, but quite respectable. For most of us to better it, we would require very still conditions, as the gains you make on the downwind leg are never as great as the losses you make on the upwind one, so all the fantastic single direction speeds that people quote are pretty meaningless. A triangular course is even worse, as you lose either way on any crosswind element, which by definition, at least two of the three legs will have.

Phil