What licence would I need?

Hello folks,

I am going to sign up for a taster session for paragliding/paramotoring and I am sure they will answer everything I need to know then, but I am to thrilled about the prospect to wait to ask some a questions that I was hoping someone could help me out here!

Ultimately, I would like to get into para-motoring and be able to take off and land from where-ever I like. (Within reason obviously!)

I am confused by the little information I find on licences. Maybe the information is not there or maybe I am just easily confused!

As I understand it, if I do a course and get up to club pilot I can take off and land at club sites, but not, say a field of a farmer I buddy up with. Is that right? What exactly does club pilot mean? is it just that?

If so, what then would I need to get a 'full' licence?

Thanks for your help folks!

Paul.

Hello folks,

I am going to sign up for a taster session for paragliding/paramotoring and I am sure they will answer everything I need to know then, but I am to thrilled about the prospect to wait to ask some a questions that I was hoping someone could help me out here!

Ultimately, I would like to get into para-motoring and be able to take off and land from where-ever I like. (Within reason obviously!)

I am confused by the little information I find on licences. Maybe the information is not there or maybe I am just easily confused!

As I understand it, if I do a course and get up to club pilot I can take off and land at club sites, but not, say a field of a farmer I buddy up with. Is that right? What exactly does club pilot mean? is it just that?

If so, what then would I need to get a 'full' licence?

Thanks for your help folks!

Paul.

Hi, you dont need any form of liscence to fly a paramotor, however correct and professional training is a must if you want to get in the air safely and legally, you could teach yourself but as the old saying goes, "the man who teaches himself has a fool for a tutor", get yourself familiar with this and other sites as there is much information to be found regarding this sport, a correct and well set out course is the best route to take.

as for flying sites, you can pretty much fly from anywhere providing you have the land owners permission and the airspace above does not come under any airspace restrictions, such as being close to an airport, for this you will have to look at a up to date airchart.

The route to getting in the air can sometimes be frustrating and surprisingly physical but the reward is SO worth it.

Good luck :D

Dave

Very similar to the PMc but A LOT more money, have you asked the cost yet?

BHPA

Paramotoring Syllabus

Phase 1-7 Club pilot

For students coming from paragliding hill or tow, exercises 1to 7 inclusive should only require checking/refreshing as long as those students are of at least Paragliding Elementary Pilot (EP) skill level and show the required level of ground handling skill.

PHASE 1: Ground Training - Unpowered

Exercise 1:- Introductory talk - Airfield briefing, intro to equipment and inspections.

Exercise 2:- Avoiding and minimizing injury - Parachute Landing Falls(PLF's).

Exercise 3:- Pre-flight checks - Learn pre flight procedures.

PHASE 2: Ground Handling - Unpowered

Exercise 4:- Briefing

Exercise 5:- Preperation

Exercise 6:- Launch and Landing Procedures(1) - Practice take offs.

PHASE 3: Unpowered Hops

Exercise 7:- Launch and Landing Procedures(2) - Take offs with short flights to 20ft

Exercise 8:- Launch and Landing Procedures(3) - Short flights and turns.

PHASE 4: The Power Unit

Exercise 9:- Safety - Learn to asses and understand the dangers.

Exercise 10:- Introduction to the Power Unit and Associated Equipment

Exercise 11:- Fuel - Gain an understanding of fuels and its dangers.

Exercise 12:- Maintenance and Repair - Learn maintenance and servicing.

Exercise 13:- Starting Procedures - Learn starting and safety procedures.

PHASE 5: Power Preperation

Exercise 14:- Torque Effects - Learn primary propeller effects.

Exercise 15:- Launch Procedure and Abort - Practice aborted launches.

PHASE 6: Powered Flights

Exercise 16:- Eventualities Briefing - Conside and plan for the unexpected

Exercise 17:- Commands and Communications Briefing - Radios and radio procedure

Exercise 18:- Responsibilities Briefing - Realise you are 'Pilot-in-command'

Exercise 19:- Flights (1) Local Circuit - Complete 3 powered circuits at approx 600ft.

Exercise 20:- Flights (2) Out of Circuit - Complete 2 flights of 15 mins above 1500ft

Theory Syllabus - Club Pilot (Novice) stage

Air Law

Principles of Flight and Aircraft General

Airmanship and Navigation

PHASE 7: Club Pilot (Novice) Examination

Exercise 21:- Club Pilot (Novice) Paragliding (Power) Theory Examination

Final Assesment for Club Pilot (Novice)

Exercise 22

The Club Pilot is now qualified to fly unsupervise provided that he/she heeps within two miles of the take off point and that a BHPA Instructor or Coach had checked the sire airspace. (As with all new BHPA pilots, the pilot is encouraged to fly under the guidance of a coach.

PHASE 8: Improving Skills 1

Exercise 23:- Planned Approaches and Accurate Landings - Cut engine at 100ft.

Exercise 24:- Forward Launch Technique - Show good techniques.

Exercise 25:- Reverse Launch Technique - Show good techniques.

Exercise 26:- 360 Degree Turns - Fly co-ordinated and controlled turns.

Exercise 27:- Engine Failure Practice - Cut engine at 500ft and accurate landings.

Exercise 28:- Weightshift and Pitch/roll co-ordination in Turns - Smooth control.

Exercise 29:- Big Ears - Show effective use of raid descent techniques.

Exercise 30:- Exploring the Speed Range - Understand fast and slow flight.

Exercise 31:- Trimmers and Accelerator Systems - Understand and use.

Exercise 32:- Active Flying - Understand the concepts of coping with turbulance.

Exercise 33:- Airmanship - Display the ability to fly safely with others.

PHASE 9 Improving Skills 2

Exercise 34:- Weather Assessment - Accuratley assess suitability of flying weather.

Exercise 35:- Total PPG Time - Have minimum 5hrs logged airtime.

Exercise 36:- Total PPG Flights - Minimum 25 flights as Pilot In Command.

Exercise 37:- Consolodation - Must have flown on 8 separate days within 9 months.

Exercise 38:- Navigation - Complete 30km triangle with chart based navigation.

Exercise 39:- In Flight Engine Stop and Restart.

PHASE 10: Pilot (Power) Examination

Exercise 40:- Pilot (Power) Examination Completed

Final Assessment For Pilot (Power)

Exercise 41:- Attitude and Airmanship

That look s like an interesting break down. Not sure why you mention it though? Are you saying that I should go a different way about it?

I am trying to figure out what the best route is at the moment.

I saw your site and saw a price for paramotor training which looked interesting. Was that from beginner? Where do you fly from?

Does PMC issue the same licences/awards?

Thanks,

Paul

That look s like an interesting break down. Not sure why you mention it though? Are you saying that I should go a different way about it?

I am trying to figure out what the best route is at the moment.

I saw your site and saw a price for paramotor training which looked interesting. Was that from beginner? Where do you fly from?

Does PMC issue the same licences/awards?

Thanks,

Paul

I mentioned it because I thought that's what you were asking and you said you were going the BHPA route.

Quote" As I understand it, if I do a course and get up to club pilot I can take off and land at club sites, but not, say a field of a farmer I buddy up with. Is that right? What exactly does club pilot mean? is it just that?

If so, what then would I need to get a 'full' licence?" end quote

Yes the price shown is from a complete beginner through to being able to fly safely with a full understanding of all you need to know.

I am currently training at Lambourne as I am looking for a new site at the moment (forest of dean Gloucestershire).

We do not do club pilot you will be fully trained with no restrictions at the end