The best meat is...

norman

Farmer Dave,

I am with you there ref meat.The 'Butchers Shop' restaurant in Jo'Burghas the most amazing meat. It is hung till it is dark and displayed beautifully in the front of house. The guy behind the counter selects a fine cut for you, depending upon your taste and then almost pushes his finger through it to demonstrate its tenderness.

Funny thing is, a lot of the meat they provide is from..... the UK!

We still don't understand meat in this country, the supermarkets have 'educated' us well to accept flavorless, pink, under-hung meat.

Agreed,

As Farmer Dave said, the supermarkets are not intereted (although you can buy 'special' 28 days steaks) in most of the supermarkets in the UK now people think 'Hey lets be a bit posh and go for some 28 day steak.....' when in fact that should be the norm with all of the steak on the shelf.....'

Our country produces the best beef in the world, but we are just in to much of a rush to notice and enjoy it.

SW :D

The Butchers Shop in Sandton Square, Johannesburg is my number 1 for meat too. Used to bring back an entire fillet off every trip until Customs got the hump and stopped us. I used to take a cooler bag and freezer blocks to the restaurant the day before we left and then just before check out I'd go and collect the bag and the meat cooled to perfection for the journey. It all started to go wrong when you had to avoid trips landing back into LHR on a Friday or a Saturday as Customs would do a rummage to stock up for their weekend barbecues!

I think we need to start a campaign to bring back hanging! :twisted:

Ian,

There are those who obtained an import license. It isn't that difficult but requires a bit of research and legwork apparently.

The black looks of the customs guys was worth every micro joule of effort by all accounts. The volumes enabled by the license easily cover the amounts you might want to bring in.

Customs are a rule unto themselves... until someone produces a rule that beats their greed.

An Import Licence to Import meet from SA which more than likely started its life in the UK and required an Export licence to get there.....

And the odd thing is..... was it WAY less expensive than if you have got it here? of course it was. (just a shame about the carbon footprint on that lump of beef, transportation, packaging, e.t.c)

If Alians could see us now......

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::twisted::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::roll::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

SW :D

Ridiculous isn't it? As for the Aliens, they would piss themselves at a number of things wouldn't they?

"They do what? They pay thousands to dangle beneath strings and a large bedsheets to fly slowly around their planet?" [Accompanying laughter from the Cadburys Smash advert Aliens.]

:lol::lol:

• 3 months later...

Norman - fantastic meal at the Butchers Shop last night for 230 rand. Went to a new place called Pigalle tonight which was going fine until 2 of our group ordered 21 year old whiskeys at over 120 quid a glass. If only I'd had the nerve to say "I only had the salad"!!!