Pete Baldwins help is requested

edwardc

This thread has gone completely off the subject!

I have not now, not ever, not since my first flight had any problem whatsoever getting into the seat of my Paramotor. I have no need off 'special needs' training to get into it and, as far as I can foresee, never will have!.

The point I was making,which seems to have got lost with fanman is that if my arms are low enough to get into my seat on climb out with the control toggles in my hand, are they too long?

I am not in the practice of doing this, I do not advocate it in any way, I certainly do not advise it and I certainly won't be doing it.

I have spoken to SW about it and I will be taking a look at the brake line length to check it.

I welcome advice, as most of you know but if someone is going to tell me what to do I, at least, want to know their bloody name, where they are from and why they think they can tell me what I should and shouldn't be doing!!

There is a big difference between criticism and advice.

Now let it go, if I need help I will ask the person or persons I know will have the knowledge and experience to help.

Hope that is not too 'cuddly'!!

Eddie

:D Dont you just love him :D

il give 50 quid to anyone that can teach ME to get in my parajet seat with no hands!!!.

Tie a length of bungee to one ankle, attach that to the kick in strap. When airborne, 'find' the kick-in strap courtesy of the bungee and use the other foot and the bar to slide back into your seat. No hands required. No kick-in strap? get one.

Not my tip ownership (MC via PD) otherwise the 50 would be welcome. :lol:

The point I was making,which seems to have got lost with fanman is that if my arms are low enough to get into my seat on climb out with the control toggles in my hand, are they too long?

Actually edwardc, the point that is so very very important that is not registering is that your personal procedures seem to require you to feel resistance from brake lines in your hands before remembering to let go of them to get in the seat. If you need to use hands to help yourself into the seat then your routine should involve parking the brakes and letting go of them before moving your hands down. That is the point I am trying to make and while you may not like hearing it as you have reached the dizzy heights of PPG1 (whatever that means) it might just be the thing that saves your neck. You declared something that is a flight safety issue, sweep it under the carpet if you like but although you say you don't usually do it you have ACTUALLY done it without intending so redrilling yourself (either personally or through instruction) has been proven to be needed.

Just because your skin is thick doesn't mean it won't hurt when you hit the ground.

Fanman

Thank you for your concern in the last mail. It was so much better than the first mail you sent.

I can assure you that my take off procedures are that I stay on climb out keeping the control lines in my hands and after easing off and maintaining a climb without the brake lines I stow the brakes and get into my seat at a safe altitude (as I have already stated) I appreciate that you are trying to make a point and seem to think I need help.

I had already dealt with the issues of brake line length before I even posted so thank you anyway.

I hope this clarifies the matter

Cheers

Eddie

ps Please look at the training courses on this forum if you want to know what PPG1 is.

I think most of us get it Eddie ;-)

I have a similar brake line issue on my Thrust HP, and the last couple of landings I have even taken a couple of wraps to get a good solid flair. I was actually thinking of using a pulley on each brake line, to double the amount of line pulled in from the amount your hand moves (slip pulley onto brake line and tie off end of brake line to maillon or suitable anchor, then attach brake handle to pulley instead). The effort of pulling would be doubled, but that would be no bad thing as you would need much less hand movement before you got to the stall point, and the pressure would make you more aware of the pull you were exerting.

Phil

Incidentally, I'm one of the 20-50' crowd.

Hello Alan

I find that once you are airborn and are no longer in need of the control lines to keep the climb rate then (providing you have had a good look around and everything is clear) it seems like an okay time to just get in your seat and concentrate on the climb.

I do realise that there will be a lot of opinions on this but wing size, motor power, weight etc will all have a bearing on how you feel on the climb out.

I have seen people let go of the brakes to get in their seat at anything from 20 feet upwards!

What do other people think?

Regards

Eddie

Ed, malcs has the same motor as you and had trouble getting in the seat, we played around with the adjustments on his harness and got it to a point where he was able to just drop into the seat not needing to reach down at all, I think if you try adjusting your harness you may be able to sort it out a bit better.

Dave.

il give 50 quid to anyone that can teach ME to get in my parajet seat with no hands!!!.

I will go for that easy £50 please :-)

Pop down :-)

SW :D

Regards

Eddie

Ed, malcs has the same motor as you and had trouble getting in the seat, we played around with the adjustments on his harness and got it to a point where he was able to just drop into the seat not needing to reach down at all, I think if you try adjusting your harness you may be able to sort it out a bit better.

Dave.

I will go for that easy £50 please :-)

Pop down :-)

OI! I saw him first :evil::D

Dave

All,

I just wnt to say now, PLEASE DO NOT shorten your brakes unless you have an instructor present. It can be VERY dangerous indeed!

Not suggetsing you were going to, just saying.

On a side note (well sort of)

when I did some slow low flying on the fusion I had my hands down level with my waist, so dont think that your brake lines are too long just because you can pull them down a lot with out stalling the wing.

Pasky can fly with masses of brake on.

DO NOT try this at home

Thanks for the replies and advice but the issue is now sorted, for me anyway!.

I didn't actually have an issue when I started the post and was quite happy. Now I feel that I can't fly a paramotor or get in the seat when I do :D !

Seriously though, Pete B is closest to how it seems to me.

I think that coming from the skydiving world I am used to more radical and responsive kit.

After ground handling the wing last night I have about 4" of play in the brake lines which is okay.

I will get an instructor to have a look and maybe take a couple of inches out (I'm sure I could have worded that better!) next time I am in Lambourn.

Cheers

Eddie