Videos of the Week

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed the video chaps... :D
..A wierd effect of filming showing a curved propellor at 6:17 :? Wow.
Yes I was going to ask about that - as I have never seen anything like it.

Does anyone know more about this type of prop - and if so what are the supposed advantages ?

Andy

That would be the latest design bananna prop, same length but bent hence smaller radius which is less likely to come into contact with frame/lines etc.

That would be the latest design bananna prop,

Good one Dan but I'd rather have a banana to eat thanks.

The apparently curved prop is an artefact of the frame rate/propellor speed. I watched the video again this morning and you can see it at 1:10, 2:43(briefly), and 6:12.

The shot at 6:16 to 6:17 gives the impression that the prop is changing shape as it revolves :shock:

Brilliant.

Alan

Hi Guys,

That's an awesome vid and even my missus said she wouldn't mind flying if she could see scenery like that! (As long as she could use the mountainboard undercarriage take off technique (MUTT!))

I do have one slight concern,which is the over the water bit. I'd want some proper safety inflation kit installed to my rig if I was doing that flight!

Propellor wise, the Merlin and later variants of the Lynx helicopters utilise BURP technology to provide amore efficient lift/thrust and later varients of the Hercules C130 have some funny twists in their propellors, presumably for the same reason.

On a geologic theme, can you see the different levels of strata in the cliffs? V. V. Nice. There's so much you can get from this hobby apart from the flying itself!

Cheers all

Tj

...Propellor wise, the Merlin and later variants of the Lynx helicopters utilise BURP technology to provide amore efficient lift/thrust and later varients of the Hercules C130 have some funny twists in their propellors, presumably for the same reason.
Thanks TJ - and an easy acronym to remember 8)
On a geologic theme, can you see the different levels of strata in the cliffs? V. V. Nice. There's so much you can get from this hobby apart from the flying itself!
You are not wrong there. I am having great fun, and haven't even got my feet off the ground yet !

I think it is the expectation of that day (hopefully in the not too distant future) that is half the fun.. :D

Andy

NB: These are not my own video clips. They are just some of my favourites found whilst doing my newbie research into PPG.

I think this warning was my fault :oops:

Some fantastic shots of the rock geology and the flight along the sharp ridge down to Annecy, interspersed with nice computer 3D overlay of GPS tracked route.

(This is a Vimeo video. Click on image to view the movie

http://www.vimeo.com/7222770

I don't speak Spanish or I'd ask directly how (or what tool) the pilot used to get a smooth track from his garmin etrex and overlay it onto google earth. When I try this with the garmin software I get a blotchy trackpoint infested mess. I know flytec vario/gps tracks can do this too so I'm missing something. I don't want to derail this sweet thread so welcome a PM or pointer to a post somewhere.

...I think this warning was my fault :oops:
Hi T - no problem, as I managed to confuse a few people when I started the thread.

Fortunately most folks now realise that I am just a grounded newbie, who loves trawling the web for interesting PPG videos whilst I wait to complete training and get airborne....

Heaven help you all then, when I finally manage to get my cameras into the sky :wink:

I don't speak Spanish or I'd ask directly how (or what tool) the pilot used to get a smooth track from his garmin etrex and overlay it onto google earth.
I have already posted the author on the same question. I will get back to you if he responds...

Cheers,

Andy

NB: These are not my own video clips. They are just some of my favourites found whilst doing my newbie research into PPG.

Following on from the last video clip from Turkey, here is an interesting clip of PPG being used for one of their bank adverts.

Must confess to not having heard of the bank, or understanding a word of the script come to that. Nevertheless great to see the wider exposure of PPG in that country. Even if it gives the false impression that you can flout all airspace rules :D

(This is a Vimeo video. Click on image to view the movie

Picture%201.png

(Q) How do you think PPG might be used for advertising to the UK market ? :lol:

Andy

Curse my clumsy fingers - A & T!

To answer the other question there's loads of ways you could use paramotors in marketing. It's the use of them for personal gain that's the bugger to get over. I've had plenty of ideas myself. I'll have to goto the carribean for those though!!

Anyone know of the flying rules over there?!

Tj

It's the use of them for personal gain that's the bugger to get over. I've had plenty of ideas myself. I'll have to goto the carribean for those though!!

You can use a paramotor for personal gain over here in France, a number of instructors also offer aerial photography, but then you also need to be licensed if you are here permanently.

Cheers,

Alan

Here's Ali's trailer he has done for his upcoming DVD

This was shot last month at the comp in Korea.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Looks like a fun place to fly!

Thanks for posting that great video clip. 8)

You might have seen that one of my earliest favourite clips in this thread was from the same event back in 2006 :

Flying downtown in Daejeon, but your posting from this years meeting is far better and of much higher quality. :D

Daejeon certainly looks like a wild place to fly - where airspace rules are completely ignored ! :shock:

The sample clip was really well put together. I particularly liked:

2m00sec - flight under the bridges

3m15sec - flying around the Swarovski-looking pyramid

3m20sec - formation flying along the highway

4m10sec - flying over the monorail track, as if on a Maglev train

Just me, but not so keen on:

2m20sec - dive bombing pedestrians

2m30sec - target landing s*removed by admin*

3m50sec - close encounters of the hot air balloon kind

Anyway do please post any further clips you come across !

Meanwhile I noticed that Pascal Campbell-Jones won the competition in Korea, having also placed 2nd at this years UK behind Michel Carnet. Can we assume that he is related to Mike Campbell-Jones, designer and founder of Paramania Gliders?

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by Guest

Here's Ali's trailer he has done for his upcoming DVD

This was shot last month at the comp in Korea.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Looks like a fun place to fly!

Thanks for posting that great video clip. 8)

You might have seen that one of my earliest favourite clips in this thread was from the same event back in 2006 :

Flying downtown in Daejeon, but your posting from this years meeting is far better and of much higher quality. :D

Daejeon certainly looks like a wild place to fly - where airspace rules are completely ignored ! :shock:

The sample clip was really well put together. I particularly liked:

2m00sec - flight under the bridges

3m15sec - flying around the Swarovski-looking pyramid

3m20sec - formation flying along the highway

4m10sec - flying over the monorail track, as if on a Maglev train

Just me, but not so keen on:

2m20sec - dive bombing pedestrians

2m30sec - target landing s*removed by admin*

3m50sec - close encounters of the hot air balloon kind

Anyway do please post any further clips you come across !

Meanwhile I noticed that Pascal Campbell-Jones won the Korean competition in Korea, having also placed 2nd at this years UK behind Michel Carnet. Can we assume that he is related to Mike Campbell-Jones, designer and founder of Paramania Gliders?

Cheers,

Andy

Son

If you are terra firma bound this weekend, and facing hours of raking leaves on your lawn - here is a light hearted video of another use for your motor... :lol:

(As always right click on video to view YouTube in larger wide format & HQ)

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Andy

That would be the latest design bananna prop,

Good one Dan but I'd rather have a banana to eat thanks.

The apparently curved prop is an artefact of the frame rate/propellor speed. I watched the video again this morning and you can see it at 1:10, 2:43(briefly), and 6:12.

The shot at 6:16 to 6:17 gives the impression that the prop is changing shape as it revolves :shock:

Brilliant.

Alan

Thanks to the other forum for the specifics - it's a rolling shutter on the CMOS sensor that causes the bendy prop effect, either that or the Apache is using a Bananna prop too..

Focalplane_shutter_distortions.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_shutter

Have unfortunately been too busy to get onto the forum at all this week, but had to at least post one video :P

This clip demonstrates some impressive controlled flying to recover a windsock jammed in Pascal Campbell-Jones risers by one of his Paramania colleagues.

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Andy

Well considering the recent less than ideal weather over here in the UK lately, I thought that the following 10 minute video clip might serve as a timely distraction.

Perfect flying condition, some lovely autumn colours and great views over the beautiful Auvergne region of France. I particularly like the lake area (~6mins)...

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Andy

Off to the Far East now for the 2009 China International Airsports Fiesta.

Not a lot of flying, but this is a very well crafted video.

- Check out the formation flying team (12) at 40sec 8)

- Huge watching crowds

- Landing gong (nice sync)

- And the taxi driver at the end (been there many a time) :roll::lol:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Andy

Off across the pond now to sunny (but chilly) Colorado for the next video clip.

Fantastically clear weather, perfect conditions, pin sharp video, great low level footage skimming over and below the autumn foliage...

N.B. Skip to 1m30s if you just want the flight.

Also skip from 6m30 onwards if you don't want to see how he warms up his hands afterwards... :lol:

[youtubevideo]

[/youtubevideo]

Andy