What Fuel Octane

TerryW

Just good old unleded mate.

You can go up a notch and go for the 'super' stuff if you like, I am sure there will be some small benefit (but more cost of course)

Getting your petrol ready for your new motor mate :D :D I have a meeting a Parajet tomorrow afternoon and am also picking up your unit. (hope to be home at about 18:00)

Yippeeee, weather is looking like it could be on the mend... fingers Xed for late weekend / Monday.....

SW :D

Cheers

For your comments Si. I better get mixing the 2-Stroke!! :D:D

I'll be down sometime Sat. morning to collect.

Unfortunately the wind strength looks a little too strong for the next few days. But forecasts look ok at the moment for Mon.

See ya soon

Terry

A lot of people think they are going to get more thrust from using a higher octane fuel. This isn't the case, what it does give you is improved margin against detonation.

Just a quick note about oil/fuel ratios. 50:1 means exactly that. 50 parts petrol to 1 part oil. DO NOT be tempted to add just a bit more oil to be safe. The reason for this is it will make the combustion hotter, due to an effective leaner fuel to air ratio for the same carb. setting.

By adding more oil to the petrol, when this “pet/oil” mix is metered through the carb. needle & jet to obtain the correct fuel / air ratio for one combustion, say 51(50+1) parts of “mix” to1000 parts of air, the extra bit of oil you put in will now replace the same amount of petrol through the needle & jet, so your carb. metered amount of 51 parts “mix” to 1000 parts of air through the needle and jet would now be made up of 49.?? Parts Petrol and 1.?? Parts oil. Result in a 2 stroke, better lubricated bottom end but a hotter combustion temp. due to a slightly leaner fuel mix = possible piston to bore seize.

Anyone familiar with kart racing will know of the driver putting his hand over the carb. air box at the end of the longest straight to choke the engine, richen the air fuel ratio and cool the piston!

Anyone familiar with kart racing will know of the driver putting his hand over the carb. air box at the end of the longest straight to choke the engine, richen the air fuel ratio and cool the piston!

Could we get the same result reaching back through the cage and choking our engines in mid flight ?

Only joking, I have grown very attached to my fingers. :lol: