Instructors Course Prospectus + Application

norman

On 04/09/2009 at 22:39, Guest said:

i have spoke with on risk in detail and i have aprox fifty hours so no big air time and they will insure me to teach and cover my students for 2million and my self, because i am the instructor 50 thousand. This is all third party only, so my point is anyone can be insured to teach and i cant understand why. i think the problems could come if someone was seriously injured under your care then how would it stand in a court, to be fair i really dont think onrisk care who they insure because they aint insuring a persons safety, there insuring a tree or a roof or fence or if ya lucky enough a cow ,

i am interested if anyone knows of an instructor being taken to court over an incident?

strangely i speak with bhpa people and they know of instructors who have been taken to court and the instuctor has won due to havin the bhpa credibility, however they can never remember the persons name when i ask lol. so id like to hear of some real stories of what hapened and the outcome.

i have been aproached a few times to help them out with flyin but i do tend to shy away, not due to lack of capability more to due with how the law would view it if anything happened to them.

so my solicitor says if i taught someone to ride a bike and they crash and was badly hurt i cant be blamed, and he explains its the same thing, but other solicitors have different views and id like to know the reality of it which is accurate.

sorry for goin on i find the insurance and legalities interesting on this subject

Your solicitor is quite correct where the person you teach is of sound mind and of age to make their (note the correct spelling of the word) own decisions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Terry Owens said:

Your solicitor is quite correct where the person you teach is of sound mind and of age to make their (note the correct spelling of the word) own decisions.

I should quailify my statement: The above would be entirely correct but there is a grey area if you set yourself up as a professional teacher as opposed to someone that is giving flying lessons. Just because you can obtain insurance does not make you a professional teacher, ie. You need insurance to teach someone to drive but that does not make you a professional driving instructor. There is also a grey area regarding payment for lessons but that is another arguement.