Air Speed Indicator

poz

Not flying paramotors quite yet (another month to go). However, I cannot seem to stop myself imagining what it's going to be like and trying to find solutions to problems that I've not even encountered yet. (yes I know, very sad :oops: )

Anyway, coming from a GA background, I can't help thinking that I'm going to miss my ASI, I know I'll have a GPS to tell me my ground speed as I did in my fixed wing, but I was wondering whether anyone has used an Anemometer to get an airspeed reading. Together with a GPS ground speed reading the combination gives you a great idea of wind direction for landing.

Having not even taken to the skies yet, I may have completely overlooked something important. If this is the case.....go easy on me :D

Dan

:lol: Forget the ASI question Poz, you don't need one. 20 kts flat out and the things don't stop flying until they are moving quite slowly. Wind the window down in your car and stuff your head overboard at 23 mph- gentle breeze on face. If the breeze slows to a whisper, you stick your hands up 'cause you iz probably inputting a little inadvertent brake. :lol:

Not quite as simple as that due trimmer settings and bar etc but... not far off.

This might work but there isn't anywhere to put it where position error wouldn't screw it up. LOL

20090821-ty1if52uw6bjgxawcby4cm9mj2.jpg

Edited by Guest

You can buy dangly anemometers for PG but they are not really suitable for PPG as they present a prop hazard. These normally plug into a vario that has the function to read it. There is also the type that fit to your risers (well away from the prop suck otherwise you will get false readings).

It could also present a snag hazard in your lines if not monitored carefully.

Not sure how accurate it would be mounted on the outside of the cage but again perhaps a snagging hazard!

There are some here:

http://www.northern-paragliding.com/onl ... ators.html

Cheers

Mark

:propbreak:

Together with a GPS ground speed reading the combination gives you a great idea of wind direction for landing.

Forget the GPS and the anemometer. Just turn the engine off if you like landing with engine off or put it at idle if you prefer the engine running. Then start making tight circles and look straight down to the ground. You will know the wind direction by the drift you will notice on the ground below you.

I do that whenever I don't have a windsock indicator and it works. Best of all it is free and is very accurate.

Cheers. JC

For those with a flytec vario, the HG model:

HG_AirspeedSensor.jpg

of their windspeed sensor should suffice on a comfort bar and long as it's as far out in the airstream as possible.

Even on a free flight setup the dangly version is a liability.

I don't fly with mine often, but when I did it jived with the gps mounted on the nose of WJ comfort bars.