The flying circus!

pegasus1

Think it might as well be time to put in a training blog. I must be the longest gravity held paramotor pilot in the history of paramotoring! I came across Simon by chance about two years ago and thought why not have a go. Hate being in a jumbo to the point I actually experience serious, very real, pains in my head and body but want to fly and to take on my fear. Been sky diving, gliding, balooning, up in a microlite, helicopters and light aircraft - greatly enjoyed all of these. Think its a control thing, maybe even claustrophobia, but I am a wreck in a metal coffin breathing in everybody elses germs! As I set out to experience and conquer most forms of aviation I have learnt a little along the way, but I have much still to learn and as a practical person rather than a boffin, I am aware that I might not know enough. Show me once and its in the bag, explain it to me by the spoken/written word and I would test the most patient human.

My thoughts when coming across paramotoring were:

Wow- that looks fun

Great- I can afford to get myself one of those, run it and repair it

Fab - it fits in the car

Fantastic - I can control my flight so easily, be on my own, see the farm and have a space at home to take off from and land

Ticks all the flying boxes for me!!

So I went ground handling. Never flown kites before - think I missed out. Got the children flying kites now - think it should be something everyone does in their life. Building a wall, easy. Getting the wing up, no worries. Settling it above my head and keeping it loaded, all workable. Almost smug with myself ( a fateful place to be ), one good gust of wind and I am being dragged full pelt across the field, desparately hopeful that I will redeem the situation before I wrap a wing around the windscreen of the unsuspecting Swindon to Lambourn bus on the B4000. Mental note - none of you buggers who will remain nameless, lept up to save me I noticed as I spat out the dirt again. (First time this happened I even managed to knock a tooth out on what seemed to be the only stone in a 117 acre field).

Unfortunatley I had an accident of the terestrial kind and have only now been able to get back into the serious business of flying over a year later. The wing I ground handle is not suitable for flying but has been a great starting point. It does hang slightly and is a dinosaur in comparison to everyone elses but I can take it off on my own and play knowing that I am not trashing Simons kit. Its done the job.

If the dust devils decide to give me a wide berth and I have the wing settled, I have now started to turn and run. I tend to turn too slowly and can not run anywhere anyhow. Need to get that wing right over me and keep the forward power going. I get dragged back because of the position of the wing and my lack of fluid movement. Been pushed and pulled, which although knackering for those poor buggers volunteering doing it, has helped me to experience lift. I understand the principles. I can feel when the wing is right. I know when that wing is ready for me to turn. All I need to do now is leave those bloody brakes alone! Can not help myself. Turn then.... brakes on. Not helpful and why am doing it?? Learning to ease off the brakes. Should come easy really, hardly use them when I drive!

Now at the point where I would like to carry a motor too - mainly to see if I actually can, what I can and for how long. What is it like to have the motor at full throttle? What is take off like? What happens when I land? How will I land? Probably what everyone thinks about. Will I be able to have more than one go at taking off or will I be restricted by my own strength actually having the motor on my back? I want to be safe and it is not my kit I am using at present so I am nervous about damaging someone elses.

Hoping to be out with Simon and Pete B soon to take on these questions I have, weather willing...........

It seems you have had a hell of a journey so far, but keep up the good work and you'll know it was a good idea.

The first time you are running across a field with 30kg of weight on your back and a loud motor in your ear and you finally realise you feet are no longer touching the ground is totally irreplaceable.

You'll just want to keep on doing it again and again and again....... you get the picture.

Remember to tell us when that happens and we can all join in with your excitement.

Also remember loud 'Wooo Wooo's' when you first land again are obligatory!

:launchdance:

If your ground handling wing is hanging back your lines may have shrunk! It would be worth restretching them. It's the rear lines that tend to stretch mainly (although all will to an extent) as they are not loaded as much as the front ones and this has the effect of inducing a degree of stall in the wing.

Using a pulley fixed to a post or fence and fix a 20kg weight to the risers and thread the lines thorugh the pulley. Then go to the wing end and pull on the lines one by one for about 15 seconds to lift the weight. Alternatively attach the risers to a fixed point and use a fish scale and wrap the end of each line around it's hook and follow the same proceedure to 20kg. This should restretch the lines the their original length (or very close to).

Good work though!

Cheers

Mark

:propbreak:

If the dust devils decide to give me a wide berth and I have the wing settled, I have now started to turn and run. I tend to turn too slowly and can not run anywhere anyhow. Need to get that wing right over me and keep the forward power going. I get dragged back because of the position of the wing and my lack of fluid movement. Been pushed and pulled, which although knackering for those poor buggers volunteering doing it, has helped me to experience lift. I understand the principles. I can feel when the wing is right. I know when that wing is ready for me to turn. All I need to do now is leave those bloody brakes alone! Can not help myself. Turn then.... brakes on. Not helpful and why am doing it?? Learning to ease off the brakes. Should come easy really, hardly use them when I drive!

Have you done some top to bottom hill flights yet ? Might help

Dave

Ummm, guys...

As nice as it is... (the advice that is) Sally Ann is under the very best instruction with me :D

We are basiclly starting again, due to the long gap caused by horse/ground event. And going through the PMC manual

SW :D