PMC France Paramotor Holiday 2010.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you are all packing thermals..........looks cold according to the weather?!

Mike

:shock: And there was me thinking about getting a budget sleeping bag!!......

If it's going to be a bit nippy, I think I'll go for the all out/five season/duck down/Everest conquering one!!! :D:D:lol:

Hope you are all packing thermals..........looks cold according to the weather?!

Mike

Sometimes, living life to the max requires getting a little chilly. :-)

SW :D

Wow for that sort of money it will be cheaper to cuddle with Pete around the fire - ha ha!!!

Seriously though, i bought a cheap sleeping bag and got cold at the last fly-in!!! I know - 'wussss'

Best get the best you can afford and make up the rest in layers of clothes or women or something!!!!

The last thing you need is to be cold and have a miserable time.

All smiles........ :D:D:D

Mike

Hi Simon,

Possibly a silly question but do we need some sort of map holder for the route and will we be provided with paper route maps each day?

Getting really excited now.....

:acro::acro::acro:

I think this is where the Gin flight deck will come in handy!!....... :D:D

For those on the France holiday...

I now have the kit boxes here, if you are able to get here before the time to collect it so you can pack your stuff, please do come and pick up your box.

If you cant get here in advance, please do get here on the 31st with plenty of time to pack your kit.

SW :D

Mobile phones.

These type of trips generate a lot of phone usage, texting co-ordinates to the lost retrieve vehicle and phoning downed pilots etc. Having only a basic Orange phone plan I am looking for ways of making it cheaper whilst abbroach.

various 30 day bundles offer little saving. Therefore probably cheaper to buy a Sim card in France, £10 ish (gues) with Xmins / texts included. does anyone know about such things?

Whitters.

Hi Whitters,

I changed to a French Sim card last year, I only use the phone for emergency use, it's kept in the side harness pocket.

The cheapest I found in the local area was E.Leclerc Mobile (E.Leclerc is one of the supermarket chains).

The difference with French mobile contracts is that there is a fixed monthly fee regardless of whether you use the phone or not. The advantage with E.Leclecrc is that whatever top up value you put on it it is valid for up to 12 months. Other providers offer various packages of say 15€ top up per month but the value is only valid for the month, if you don't use it you lose it.

Leclerc offer three different packages:

Mini which gives call charge of 0.39€ per minute dropping to 0.35 then 0.3 then 0.25, ultimately 0.1€ per minute once you have reached 2 hours 30 minutes for the month. SMS costs 0.07€.

The monthly charge is 1.5€, the Sim costs 14.9€ which includes 10€ credit and the first month free.

Maxi gives call charge of 0.165€ per minute with SMS costs 0.07€ up to 50 per month then 0.06 for the next 50 then 0.05 for subsequent per month.

The monthly charge is 3.5€, the Sim costs 19.9€ which includes 10€ credit and the first 2 months free.

Crazy gives call charge of 0.165€ per minute with SMS unlimited. The monthly charge is 9.5€, the Sim costs 29.9€ which includes 10€ credit and the first 2 months free.

It's certainly not simple over here. I have gone for the Mini so it costs me 18€ a year just to keep it in the side pocket, but you don't have to make any calls to keep your number active.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Hi Whitters,

I changed to a French Sim card last year, I only use the phone for emergency use, it's kept in the side harness pocket.

The cheapest I found in the local area was E.Leclerc Mobile (E.Leclerc is one of the supermarket chains).

The difference with French mobile contracts is that there is a fixed monthly fee regardless of whether you use the phone or not. The advantage with E.Leclecrc is that whatever top up value you put on it it is valid for up to 12 months. Other providers offer various packages of say 15€ top up per month but the value is only valid for the month, if you don't use it you lose it.

Leclerc offer three different packages:

Mini which gives call charge of 0.39€ per minute dropping to 0.35 then 0.3 then 0.25, ultimately 0.1€ per minute once you have reached 2 hours 30 minutes for the month. SMS costs 0.07€.

The monthly charge is 1.5€, the Sim costs 14.9€ which includes 10€ credit and the first month free.

Maxi gives call charge of 0.165€ per minute with SMS costs 0.07€ up to 50 per month then 0.06 for the next 50 then 0.05 for subsequent per month.

The monthly charge is 3.5€, the Sim costs 19.9€ which includes 10€ credit and the first 2 months free.

Crazy gives call charge of 0.165€ per minute with SMS unlimited. The monthly charge is 9.5€, the Sim costs 29.9€ which includes 10€ credit and the first 2 months free.

It's certainly not simple over here. I have gone for the Mini so it costs me 18€ a year just to keep it in the side pocket, but you don't have to make any calls to keep your number active.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Thanks Allan. I will print that off which will save the whole group ages while waiting for me to scratch my head and work out which plan to go for. Can stock up on the boxes of red wine bread and cheeses in E-leclerk ready for the evening camp fire and P"*@ taking too :D .

Really looking forward to this. The route gives us lots of large open areas for the first half whilst settling in and gaining confidence before the route East increases in spectacularnesness (if there is such a word) allowing us the flight of a life time.

With help and guidance from the whole team we will all be better, more confident and competent pilots by the time we get to St Andres.

Whitters :D

:wingover: