Goldstar Headset & Icom A3e

woody

has it a chip module inside the ear piece which you can change for different radios? most have these

No......It won't work with the Goldstar unit- you'll need a Microavionics headset.

I've spoke to 'Mr.Goldstar' himself about this- (James Davies)- that's his answer.

Been there.. been through all the options with the Goldstar units.....

For PMR and 2M the Goldstar units are probably the best/most cost effective way to interface - but for Airband you need something a little more sophisticated- James himself would recommend 'Microavionics'

Bought the Microavionics setup myself last year- great job-... pricey.. but quality reception and transimssion.... essential when you're talking to GA

I've been doing some digging and it appears that the A3 requires a pre-amp and a different PTT circuit.

I think I can make up a small box which you plug your headset in to. This could attach to the radio.

This box would house a 9v PP3 battery, the pre-amp and a pair of flying leads which plugs into the radio.

The 3.5mm jack would just extend the speakers as they would work.

The 2.5mm jack I believe would become a stereo jack, where the tip would be grounded in a new PTT switch ( excellent as it could be extended on a longish lead, fed down your arm under your flying suit, to a velcro PTT finger switch, which saves pushing the Tit on your headset to transmit, I've already done this with my Headset :D ) and the output of the Pre-Amp to the ring connection.

The Pre-Amp kit is available from Maplin @ £4, PP3 Battery £2, Clip for Battery £1, Box £3, jacks, sockets, cable & PTT switch £5 = approx build cost of £15.

Saves buying a new headset just for one radio!

The box could also house a Double Pole Double Throw switch which could switch between a PMR / 2M Radio and the Airband..... Just an idea :D

If it were so simple why wouldn't James Davies already be doing this? The Goldstar units are already very cheap.... even a £30 increase to cover these costs would be good enough.

In saying that the Microavionics sets are the 'Rolls Royce'-- can accmpdate 2m, PMR, airband, etc.... the side tone function is a great feature also...

GD

if james is the prop man then i was gonna send my head set to him untill a lot didnt make sence he was talkin about strippin wires away which didnt need doin as there is a circuit you change for different radios, i explained this to him and he disagreed, so i just bought the circuit i needed and plugged it in and now my radios work, so altho he is a nice man to chat to, it dont mean he knows his head sets.

• 2 weeks later...

Reply from : MicroAvionics.

It would be possible to do something like the below. However, without giving confidential information away the below has a little detail that is not required and makes the design techally out of required spec. The other problem is Airband radio model. There are a couple of radios that have a few design problems and these need extra design to make the headsets work properly.

To an experienced electronics engineer it is quite possible to convert a Goldstar headset, this would also require a radio lead change for best results otherwise a remote PTT would be required instead of the onboard PTT. Extra care is required as mentioned above with a few airband radios. Also there can be issues if the design is not right with one airband radio if used with the rubber duck type antenna.

In short... 2m and PMR is easy to conect to, airband is not hard but there are a few querks to get this version working with all radios.

Regards,

Eddie Cartwright

MicroAvionics UK

I've been doing some digging and it appears that the A3 requires a pre-amp and a different PTT circuit.

I think I can make up a small box which you plug your headset in to. This could attach to the radio.

This box would house a 9v PP3 battery, the pre-amp and a pair of flying leads which plugs into the radio.

The 2.5mm jack I believe would become a stereo jack, where the tip would be grounded in a new PTT switch ( excellent as it could be extended on a longish lead, fed down your arm under your flying suit, to a velcro PTT finger switch, which saves pushing the Tit on your headset to transmit, I've already done this with my Headset :D ) and the output of the Pre-Amp to the ring connection.

The Pre-Amp kit is available from Maplin @ £4, PP3 Battery £2, Clip for Battery £1, Box £3, jacks, sockets, cable & PTT switch £5 = approx build cost of £15.

The box could also house a Double Pole Double Throw switch which could switch between a PMR / 2M Radio and the Airband..... Just an idea :D

Reply from : MicroAvionics.

It would be possible to do something like the below. However, without giving confidential information away the below has a little detail that is not required and makes the design techally out of required spec. The other problem is Airband radio model. There are a couple of radios that have a few design problems and these need extra design to make the headsets work properly.

To an experienced electronics engineer it is quite possible to convert a Goldstar headset, this would also require a radio lead change for best results otherwise a remote PTT would be required instead of the onboard PTT. Extra care is required as mentioned above with a few airband radios. Also there can be issues if the design is not right with one airband radio if used with the rubber duck type antenna.

In short... 2m and PMR is easy to conect to, airband is not hard but there are a few querks to get this version working with all radios.

Regards,

Eddie Cartwright

MicroAvionics UK

There you go pay nothing and get the advise of an expert.

What more could you want?mmmmmm micro avionics headset that does it all maybe.

Joking aside I had a set of these and they worked great

,the back up service is second to none.