Landing these things after an engine failure is a cinch if you do as Gordon suggests isn't it?

Keep landable fields below you, learn to 'read' terrain - rotor sources, wind direction, hazards (surface slope, terrain, wires, animals etc) and perhaps lastly, access. :roll: (Paul ;-) )

Practice engine out procedures regularly from overhead your field from your typical cruise height (agl). You will then develop a feel for the performance characteristics of you wing/rig and quickly clock how to best allow for differing wind conditions. As soon as you can spot-land consistently you can be confident that you will end up landing on the mental touch-down marker you picked just after the fan stopped.

THEN confidence during a real engine failure is always likely to be on tap as the process FEELS practised and routine. Add just a tad of adrenalin to help things along and the pub afterwards is just that much more enjoyable.

Accept the fact that it can and will happen, it is a reality and simple to prepare for and execute.

Consciously think in these terms whilst airborne and after a time you will start to do it automatically; then you will feel uncomfortable when over poor (in a landable sense) terrain. Instincts can be grown.

Did you spot more promising landing spots during the last 40 seconds of his descent on that vid? Perhaps less dangerous?

Note: All the above is part of the new PPG1/2 syllabus.

That brings back memories of my engine out at the fly in, in my case , I was directly over farm biuldings, I had trees to the left, the motor splutterd once so I had already decided to turn back towards the field when it quit altogether, as I turned I had 2 options, a small field directly in front of me or a much larger one a bit further on, I could have made the larger of the 2 but there were power lines just on the boundry, so i pulled a bit of brake to slow me down and dropped into the closest of the 2, dodging 2 cattle water troughs and numeras cowpats, lucky for me the only cows in the were calfs who were a bit curious at this strange creature that had just descended from the skies

Dave.

Seemed like all the active flying stopped with this fellow's motor.

I saw two very reachable grass fields that a spot lander might pick rather than beeline for earth.

The sound of lines sliding on wire insulation? worse than nails on a challkboard.

I suppose we are just looking at a video snapshot of this pilots learning experience.

At least I hope so.

When you don't practice parts of flying, even the birds can have a rough go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zGEbVxr0mk&NR=1