Marks training with skyschool July 2009

dmh

Well, after alot of phaffing around and umming and erring I have taken the plunge, bought a package from Parajet, had my macro delivered along with my revolution and gin reserve and start my 6 day training course with ALex Ledger on this Friday in Wiltshire.

Will aim to keep a daily log of the training and welcome any ideas/comments/suggestions on my journey to first solo and beyond. :)

Fingers crossed for good weather for you.

SW :D

Cheers Simon, was hoping to get my mate PAul Marsh from footloose to do it with me but he has his in laws there can't get a pass out. I gather he had a chat with you

Hoping for good weather...!

I'll see you down there on Friday.

I've got a couple of days down there to finish off the 2nd week of my training (due to bad weather in Spain the first week I was there) and good ol' Alex has said I can hang around for the rest of the week if I help out the Newbies a bit.

Friday is looking rubbish at the moment - rain during the day...but MetCheck reckons the rest of the weekend and following week is going to be good. Here's hoping !!

Steve

Hi Mark,

Yep. I have indeed solo'd.

Got 5 hours under my belt now...and hoping to at least double that in the week in mere. (Weather permitting).

I had a really great time in Spain, but the first few days, (we were the first group of the season) the weather was apalling.

Blustery winds and rain...with only the occasional clear moment. I flew on my first day - albeit not intentionally, when the mini-wing I was ground handling took a sudden really strong gust of wind and lifted me clear off my feet and about 20 feet across the airfield....which was nice. (I landed on my feet and was laughing - but quickly brought the wing down and stopped for the day!) :lol:

I heard the comment "I've never seen such bad weather!" - Great!!

But it's cool...I get to have another paramotoring holiday. 8)

See you Friday morning...probably in the rain! :(

how have you got on since your course? Have you done your 5 hrs solo or with other guys? I am interested to know how confident you were after a few days training?!

We can chat Friday I guess...?!

Praying for good weather!

MArk

I did 4 and a half hours with Skyschool on the trip to Spain...and then another half an hour more recently when I borrowed Phil Jennings PAP for a spin around over his field.

I felt really confident actually. But it's each to his/her own...There were some on the course that really didn't like paramotoring (Weirdo's!) and some that have really taken to it. In fact, Rob Hallam who was with me on the course is coming down as well for a couple of days with his new kit and Phil is popping over as well for a couple of days.

We had such a great time en Espana that we are all looking forward to meeting up, getting airborne and generally having fun.

I'd be confident enough to get up in the air now on my own, but I've a couple of last items to tick off of Alex's course-itinerary so have been quite happy (well not really happy - but patient) to wait until he came over to tick those last boxes and get my Paramotor.

It'll be fun. You're going to have a good time. :D

Haze

Really fun stage you're at. You will feel good when you start nailing those launches on your own, but do take someone to watch for safety. I had no choice but was lucky. I used to tell someone at the farm where I was going and phone them when I landed. Always put your phone in your flying suit. Unlike you, I only got 3 x 10 min flights on my Spanish trip 2 years ago so I pretty much self taught when I got home. Once you can feel where the wing is, and you've got rid of the delay in communications between 2 people, it becomes easier. Ground handle (facing wind) with your eyes closed. Nothing will improve your skills like that will, and it's cheap. Get an old free flying harness with good protection in it. Best 150 quid you'll spend

Dave

Way ahead of ya Farmer-man! :)

I've been out standing on Epsom Downs for hours at a time over the last 3 months with the wing above my head just keeping it flying there...and then turning as if to launch....walking along, turning back round and keeping it there....

(I'm almost bored of the ground handling - almost!) :wink:

And I know what you mean about the safety...I meant...I FEEL like I could go off on my own...

Luckily there's a couple of pilots in my area, so when I get back from Dorset I'll hook up with them for my first few Solo-Solo's. I would always have a friend nearby or at least know that I'm going out and where I plan to go...(at this stage)...and I've got my phone hooked up to my headset, so can even do the "Shiiiiiiiit...someone come find me.... :shock: " as I crash-land! :lol:

Toying with the idea of one of those Spot tracker things...but not sure I can currently justify the cost.

Steve

Sounds like you've made good progress Steve. Sorry if I sounded a little presumptious. Know what you meen about the groundwork getting boring after a while. You must be good. I've tried to walk up the side of my van when bored. Haven't got there yet though.

Dont know much about the spot tracker but I'm sure you'll enjoy the rest of the summer.

well it's now Monday afternoon and the weather has been pants for over half the time....done a fair bit of ground handling which after a while begins to make sense, always easier if you've got Alex next to you but I guess that's like learning to drive too. Nothing major to report otherwise as it's even been too windy or wet to paraglide down the hill - hoping for better tomorrow.

Can see why people go to Spain to nail it in one go....

I hear that. The weather here has not been good.... :(

I take it you guys have been down at White Sheet Hill or ?? I'm hoping to do a couple of top-to-bottoms off there soon.

Good luck with it all, might pop over and see how you guys are getting on.

• 2 months later...