tinytach

Guest parajetsimon

Hello all,

i am thinking of buying one of these tiny tach units for my parajet. Has any one got one of these already, and if so do you have any comments. I have been quoted £35 for the standard 2 second update or £45 for the 1/2 second update commercial model with service reminders and rpm upto 20000. I would really like a small anologe version but i cant find anything to suit.

Likewise cant wait till xmas i want a strobe light, the microavionics work ok but thier not very pretty, has any one found a more "gucci" unit they can recommend?

Cheers

Simon.

I use a tinytach and find it absolutely invaluable. I also run a CHT and EGT gauge so between these I can always keep an eye on the state of tune of my motor and reduce the risk of a sieze. Bearing in mind they are so cheap to buy and easy to fit I think everyone should at least run a tach and CHT gauge.

Tach is definately worth the cash, got one off ebay for £25, I don't think the fast update model is really worth the difference. I reckon down the line you will get your money back when you sell your motor as you should be able to prove the engine run time, hence increasing the motors value*. Ask Simon for one as he can get them cheap.

* Unless the battery goes flat in the meantime :roll:

I have one on my shelf for a 2 stroke but by the time you add the postage you would be better off finding a local source or go for E-bay.

2072NR* is the number on the back of the one on my shelf. Loads of people around here use them :D

From what I have seen, the rev counter is next to useless but the hours works well.

SW :D

• 2 months later...

Bit of information you might find saves a lot of frustration. There are three different types of Tiny-Tach, you need to make sure you purchase the right one for your machine. 1C - used on engines that have a spark firing every 180 degrees. 2C - Used on engines with one spark firing on each revolution of the crankshaft. Also used on 4 strokes with electronic ignition.

Bendme

• 2 weeks later...

PAP mounted mine on the shoulder strap as standard but it was a bu99er to see so I moved it onto the throttle assembly. Much better. My CHT/EGT is now mounted on the flexible throttle cable line which works well as well. Can take a picture if it helps.

• 1 month later...
Bit of information you might find saves a lot of frustration. There are three different types of Tiny-Tach, you need to make sure you purchase the right one for your machine. 1C - used on engines that have a spark firing every 180 degrees. 2C - Used on engines with one spark firing on each revolution of the crankshaft. Also used on 4 strokes with electronic ignition.

Bendme

Hi all,

Probably a silly question, but as I don't know the answer, I ask it !

What one would suit the Parajet (volution). ie Does the engine fire every 180 degrees or on each crankshaft revolution ?

Cheers

Geoff

• 1 year later...
it fires every 180 degrees, therefore one spark is wasted

baa

If the system has a HEIS fitted then that second spark is used to augment that so it is not wasted.

If it fires at bottom dead centre, then the second spark IS wasted, because there is no way firing anywhere near BDC will 'augment' combustion. In fact, the very last thing you want to do, is partially ignite the incoming charge close to BDC.

If it fires at bottom dead centre, then the second spark IS wasted, because there is no way firing anywhere near BDC will 'augment' combustion. In fact, the very last thing you want to do, is partially ignite the incoming charge close to BDC.

From an HEIS installation guide...

Be careful! Your new H.E.I.S. will start very, very easy. It will only take 100 RPM’s versus 500 RPM’s to start. If you have a Tiny Tach you will have to get it recalibrated or exchanged for the "1-c" model because it's now getting a double spark and the "2-c" model will read twice the rpms. Your paramotor may get better fuel consumption and will be easier to start.

...so the second spark is a by-product of the HEIS set up. It isn't wasted because it the energy for the HEIS.

From an HEIS installation guide...

Be careful! Your new H.E.I.S. will start very, very easy. It will only take 100 RPM’s versus 500 RPM’s to start. If you have a Tiny Tach you will have to get it recalibrated or exchanged for the "1-c" model because it's now getting a double spark and the "2-c" model will read twice the rpms. Your paramotor may get better fuel consumption and will be easier to start.

...so the second spark is a by-product of the HEIS set up. It isn't wasted because it the energy for the HEIS.

Well if the HEIS is triggering two sparks together, then that might improve the flame front in the combustion chamber, but that is a very big might.

The concept of wasted spark is when in a two stroke, the spark is generated every 180 degrees (ie around TDC and BDC). In a four stroke, a wasted spark is created because the engine fires every 360 degrees (ie, at TDC on both the compression and exhaust strokes).

A twin spark system is nothing to do with wasted spark, it is usually used as a redundant system (as in GA aircraft) so a failure in one system won't mean a dead engine or cylinder. Seems like we are trying to compare apples and oranges here.