Jet Engine Paramotor.

have you thought of how hot the exaust gas will be at the wing. I can see a poss melt down if you use to bigger jet!!!!

Why will it be at the wing

non powered forward launch and the wing will come through the heat in seconds, not long enough to do any thing to it.

Or reverse

Pete b

Yes... but you haven't considered the turbine lag time? When you pull the wing up, and you're running like hell.... then you decide to give it full throttle... do you realise how long the turbine will take to deliver full power? these things are not instant... You'll be surprised how long it can take sometimes. Turbines are great at constant rpm but not good for rapid changes in rpm.

Even at idle rpm, there could be serious risk to lines and the wing, as it rises.

have you thought of how hot the exaust gas will be at the wing. I can see a poss melt down if you use to bigger jet!!!!

Why will it be at the wing

non powered forward launch and the wing will come through the heat in seconds, not long enough to do any thing to it.

Or reverse

Pete b

Yes... but you haven't considered the turbine lag time? When you pull the wing up, and you're running like hell.... then you decide to give it full throttle... do you realise how long the turbine will take to deliver full power? these things are not instant... You'll be surprised how long it can take sometimes. Turbines are great at constant rpm but not good for rapid changes in rpm.

Even at idle rpm, there could be serious risk to lines and the wing, as it rises.

thats what i mean your there waiting while the turbine winds up the wing will be on the deck. all the hot gasses will be going toward the wing!!!!

I know it wont be anywhere the wing when flying :roll:

Why would someone do this?

.............Because they can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why did man spend untold cash to put 2 men on the moon? Because they could.

I agree that it is completely impractical and the task is more efficiently achieved with the good old internal combustion engine, but I think that it's a gloriously impractical idea and if someone has enough cash to blow £9k on this mad project then why not! :lol:

You could just use the machine when the wind is strong enough for a reverse. This will keep hot gasses well away from the wing and lines.

Get the wing up over your head turn, then apply power. Any lag will also be of no consequence as you can time your run to coincide with the thrust coming on. Simples

I hope that this project gets off of the drawing board/fag packet!

Good luck,

Ian.

I reckon you should stick with a powered forward launch.....ps ....Dont think you will need a wing just hold your hands out wide.. :lol:

pps one of my old paramotors set on fire while while I was flying it !!!! so I may have some experience with something very hot on my back and unable to do much about it :shock: on the other hand count me out :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

... I fly these things in R/C planes once a month or so ...... fuel consumption is the problem: there are model turbines that will give 50kg plus thrust, but to produce that thrust they chew through the fuel supply (parrafin basicaly) at a rate of around 750ml - 1 litre per minute or so - yup, that much! That 3hr - 4hr fuel supply you're used to now only lasts 30minutes or so max.

... a weight/mass effective power source for launching? Yes, great: get up as high as you can, double up on takeoff fuel (offset against the weight of what a normal IC paramotor would weigh you down - yer, start off with 30litres - 40litres) burn it all off to get to altitude - now the advantage kicks in: all you have left on your back is the frame, an empty plastic 30/40litre fuel tank .. and the 5kg's or so of turbine mass - and not the 20kg - 30kg conventional IC motor....... find that thermal, and soar - great, but other than for using it to get you up into the sky there ain't much sense in using them - they swallow fuel in prodigous amounts - and there is no way around it.

... a weight/mass effective power source for launching? Yes, great: get up as high as you can, double up on takeoff fuel (offset against the weight of what a normal IC paramotor would weigh you down - yer, start off with 30litres - 40litres) burn it all off to get to altitude - now the advantage kicks in: all you have left on your back is the frame, an empty plastic 30/40litre fuel tank .. and the 5kg's or so of turbine mass - and not the 20kg - 30kg conventional IC motor....... find that thermal, and soar - great, but other than for using it to get you up into the sky there ain't much sense in using them - they swallow fuel in prodigous amounts - and there is no way around it.

And then say, "I'm a jet pilot" to whoever you're talking to!! (OK you are anyway but for us mere mortals!!)

Tj

Probably that it's a good 'chat up' line :-)

Exactly, like the bombadier in the 'be the best' advert that says he's a spy plane pilot, when he flys the recce uav!

If you fly both anyway I guess you don't need to add anything what chatting to the ladies.

Simon,

I suggest you apply here - http://www.eccentricclub.co.uk/ I have a friend who may be able to assist!!

In just replying to Gulfstream1 elsewhere on the subject of night flying, I came across this mad video clip of a supposed night time paramotor flight where rockets (albeit of the firework kind) strapped to the pilots legs and triggered electrically :

Cool effect, but looks mad as hell !

Food for thought for your bonfire night fly-in Simon ? :P

Andy