Flight Duration?

irm750

I saw shaggydec's post about having a 2 hour 10 minute flight on a Parajet Volution with a Revolution 28 which is the combination that I use, and it got me wondering what duration others get with a similar setup.

Interested to know because with the tank filled above the filler cap right to the top I only manged 1 hour 25 minutes at the fly-in (and landed out as I ran out of fuel!). I do weight 95Kg in my socks.

I have since stopped filling the tank over the cap (gives me 1 hour 15 minutes). I had a lack of power on climbout and the only possible reason I could find was when I tested the one way valve in the fuel cap. The airflow in was restricted, possibly causing a vaccum in the tank. I thought maybe the petrol was reacting with the rubber in the valve causing it to swell up. Could over filling the tank do this?

To conclude -

1) What duration do you get on a similar setup?

2) Can over filling the tank possibly cause a vacuum to develop?

Cheers,

Ian.

Ummm

Without being rude (of course) :lol: you are at the top end of the compact weight wise, 100kg max.

I get a good 1.40 from my compact when I fly the Revo 26 full fast no thermalling, and 1.55 with the Fusion full fast no thermalling. I am 75kg in my birthday and 110 all up.

If I float around on full slow, I can add 10-15 mins to the times above as I am sat at low revs to maintain height.

SW :D

Ummm

Without being rude (of course) :lol: you are at the top end of the compact weight wise, 100kg max.

Not rude (would you ever be?) :lol: - I know that I'm a fat b****rd and near the top of the weight range!!!

It's just that the differential between 1 hour 25 and 2 hours 10 is so large that I didn't want to be missing a trick.

Do you think that fuel could do that to the cap?

Cheers,

Ian.

Not likely,

Whats more likely is that when 'topping up to the brim' petrol will come out of the hole, it makes it wet inside and all of the dust and bits stick to it. I had to unblock my one each time I flew in the Desert for that exact reason.

Ummm

Not rude (would you ever be?) :lol: - I know that I'm a fat b****rd and near the top of the weight range!!!

It's just that the differential between 1 hour 25 and 2 hours 10 is so large that I didn't want to be missing a trick.

Do you think that fuel could do that to the cap?

Cheers,

Ian.

No it would not as we were filling the tanks over the cap and never had any problems on the tip to tip.

Have you checked the colour of the plug after a good run ?

Pete b

I was impressed with the economy of my Revo26/R120 combo on Weds evening, I flew for 80 mins and used only 4 litres, thats 3 litres/hour on slow trim on little more than tickover maintaining the same altitude (2K). Just whipped the plug out and it's fine - perhaps just a tad on the rich side, I think the big prop is one of the things that helps efficiency.

I can get pushing 3 hours out of 10 litres on my Bailey 4/180 using my Thrust HP09. Can't use Bar if I want that sort of autonomy, but even so, that will be around the 90 mile mark in still air.. I'm 106kg Nekid, and that's on the 'M' wing which is 27.5 m2 flat 23.5 m2 proj.

I'd agree that the prop is a major contributor, because despite the modest power output, the engine thrust is quite considerable, and certainly better than the GSC on the same machine at comparable revs.

Cheers Simon.

Seems I WAS missing a trick after all! Refuelling!!! (why hadn't I thought of that?) :roll:

Still interested in other peoples thoughts on the subjects though.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Ian...Bet you were scratching your head there for a minute ! 13 lts in a 10 ltr tank ?? Had flown for 40 min and landed at Snowdonia Light Aircraft Clubs field where i blagged 5lts of fuel to get me home. was going to land anyway cause i was 20 mls from home with no mirror to check levels :? As Garyfreefly will tell you there wasnt a breath of wind so was nt looking forward to a forward !! Anyway 2nd attempt was up and decided i had an hour and a half before dark and plenty of juice so went on a detour . Next time im going the distance i ll bungee a 5ltr can under the tank just in case. Even managed a crushed chocolate eclair flying over Criccieth Castle !!