Kitted out

At present Simon and I have begged and borrowed my kit just to get me to the starting posts. ( A huge thank you ). If I really get addicted, what do I actually need? What can I buy second hand and what shouldn't I buy second hand? What should I be aware of buying second hand and who should check stuff for me until I know what to look for? I am hoping to get on well with a Mirco Rad and would want a slow wing. What helmet, radio and GPS etc is best and ecomomical to start with? Like many of you I am on a tight budget and would like to learn from any mistakes you have made in the past. :)

....and would like to learn from any mistakes you have made in the past.

"Never Bunje Jump with cable made from your elastic band collection." :lol:

Seriously though, why not syndicate? Get together with someone who you trust and get on with and share kit and costs. You will need to trust each other and both bring benefit to the party but it is a line of thought worth pursuing... for anyone really.

You will need an agreement over breakages and that is where trust comes in, you could both put a few quid in a pot each month to cover maintenance and replacement.

Maybe the idea has legs - a wider application?

My budget was tight but I opted for a new reflex wing which I believe is the post important item (with a few hundred quid off list price). If you went second hand you can still have them inspected at places like the loft and they check overall condition, porosity and line length so you know what state it is in. Wings can last around 400 hours (check the manual) but it's very dependant on how you look after them- ground handling, storage and flight all takes its toll. Make sure you pick a wing with the correct size for your weight range, Simon is the perfect person to help you decide.

I went for a second hand motor and reserve. The reserve is a personal option and you may never need to use it but peace of mind and all that. Check when it was last repacked (should be every year) and the manufactured date as its reccomended that reserves are changed every 10 years.

My engine only had a few hours use so was as new but saved a grand, now is a good time to keep your eyes open for these during the cold season. I picked a motor that my other school used so I was confident with it (plus good for spares and support) so bear that in mind when making your decision.

Sharing sounds like a great idea, but you would have to be of a similar weight to benefit from the same wing and motor. Just be sure to triple check things like preflight checks as your sharing partner may have damaged or worn something without realising.

Other kit to stay legal is an airmap, altimeter and compass and apart from that things which handy are helmet (essential really), radio, jerry can for fuel, flying suit, tools to tighten it all up and a good sense of humour to be around these nutters all day in fields and in the sky 8)

Is it the norm to buy kit off the internet like radios, altimeters etc? Obivously buying off someone you know is a good option. Isn't the reserve standard equipment? The idea about sharing is a good one, I was in a glider syndicate which worked well especially when I wanted to pull out. The problem I have is who else flys a micro? Do you need extra insurance to cover yourself flying and do you cover your kit under the household? Sorry for all the questions but I am a total newbie to it all. Thanks for the help so far, I appreciate all your thoughts! :D

Simon can get great deals on all the kit plus backup if required but I have been hunting kit since last Christmas so have had the oppertunity to spot bargains online. He has radios to borrow while training and you may not want to fly with one once you have experience so don't rush into it.

The reserve is not standard and you will find plenty of people don't have them, its a lot of personal preference and if your first few flights are low and short when the conditions are perfect then you are virtually guarranteed not to be able to use one anyway.

Insurance from http://www.onrisk.co.uk/ is worth taking, around £63 ish for a year which will cover the kit for transport accidents (not flying) but more peace of mind as covers £2M public liability.

This is annual Paramotor, Paraglider and Hang Glider insurance cover for

Liability for accidental bodily injury to third parties (excluding passengers and 2nd pilots) and accidental loss of or damage to property

Coverage for Flying Instructors available up to £2million for Third Party Liability

Up to £5,000 cover for Search and Rescue costs incurred

Loss of or damage to equipment when not in flight including whilst in storage or in transit