Wing packing tips

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a Revo 28 and would like some advice on packing it away.... My normal method is to start at the wing tips and make little folds to the centre. Then fold the two halves on top of each other and to then make folds pushing the air towards the cell openings....

However, I recently read somewhere that it is not a good idea to get creases into the mylars (which to my limited understanding are the walls of the cells).

Can anyone shed some best practice advice and tips on packing away to help the longevity of my new wing....

Thanks in advance! :D

if your going to pack it away but you will be using it again soon i would go for a stuff sack. paramainia ruck sacks turn into stuff sack's well my new fusion one does!!! If you need to store it i would use the consertina method. you start from the middle of the leading edge place your hand on the mylar panels and bring them together "just like clapping your hands" do one panel at a time untill you have no more panels then start on the other side. When you have done that side as well velcro a compresion strap arond the mylar planels. The you need to go to the trailing edge then fold every other panel working your way up "as the wing gets thiner" do both sides. The fold the whole wing in half then fold it as normal to the leading edge.

I hope that makes sence :?

Yep, I use the same method as above. Gather all panels together with the patented morgy clapping technique, strap up then follow suit with the rest of the wing. I actually have an ozone sausage type bag which takes the whole length (ooh eeer misus) then folds into three and fits into my PG harness no probs.

From what I see on the hill, there are 101 different ways to fold your wing. The above method preserves integrity of the mylar and puts less folds across the wing. Different strokes for different folks.

Ben

Thanks guys!!

Great vids Morgy, much appreciated. Will try this method the next time I get the wing out....

With the stuff sack method, do you just make a rose and then dump it into the stuff sack??

Indeed, my Revo rucksack has a drawstring sack sown on the inside, you also get another bag with it.

Thanks guys!!

Great vids Morgy, much appreciated. Will try this method the next time I get the wing out....

With the stuff sack method, do you just make a rose and then dump it into the stuff sack??

Indeed, my Revo rucksack has a drawstring sack sown on the inside, you also get another bag with it.

Yes just rose it up and drop it in.

(be carefull when you pull the draw string closed that you do not catch the wing in any of the rings)

The other nylon bag is to put the wing in when you fold it.

Pete b

I knocked up a sort of DIY concertina bag. A big piece of ripstop nylon, roughly square with the side length equal to the chord of the wing.

Draw strings fitted to two opposite ends. and velcro fitted to the two remaining edges.

A couple of straps with pinch clips on the inside surface, one near the leading edge end, and one roughly imn the middle.

Fold your wing, tip to centre till you end up with a long sausage, half the width of the bag.

Drop the sausage on the bag, parallel to the velcro edges

Do up the two straps (gathering the leading edge mylars if you don't have a Thrust HP into the one at the leading edge end :-) )

Do up the two draw strings which are now at the leading and trailing edges

Fasten the velcro

Fold, roll or leave loose. If rolled/folded, secure with a pinch clip strap round the bundle.

Cost probably about a fiver.

(gathering the leading edge mylars if you don't have a Thrust HP into the one at the leading edge end :-) )

Go on then?

Please explain :-)

SW :D

(gathering the leading edge mylars if you don't have a Thrust HP into the one at the leading edge end :-) )

Go on then?

Please explain :-)

The latest Thrust HP '09 has got these rather spiffing 'Flexon Battens' in lieu of mylars. Basically a springy bit of plastic going from the bottom surface to the top, either side of each cell leading edge opening. APCO claim they are pretty much indestructible, but they are replaceable if say you managed to mangle them in a prop. Thus, much less care is needed with them when packing than with mylars, which can take on very distinct fold lines if packed other than flat. APCO also reckon they have saved about half a kilo just with this mod alone.

They really do the biz, holding the leading edge open, and even in absolute zero wind conditions, the way they give the leading edge shape, it looks like the wing is already quarter inflated just laid there on the deck. Inflation is a complete piece of p**s.

PK

Cool, :D

As you may have guessed, I asked for the benefit of others. :D

The Fusion also has Flexon Batterns (which also help to reduce the weight of the leading edge of the wing, making it MUCH less work getting it over your head.)

cle%20and%20s%20bands.jpg

I am sure many other wings are using this now also.

APCO produced the first Flexon Battern wing.

I can answer that for you and tell you that its a no.

the Flexon idea did not come about until after the production of the Revo. (it would be nice to think they could 'add it' but I am sure there would be MANY other design changes needed.

The Fusion is a wing that has only been on the market for about a year.

The Revo is a light wing to get over your head anyway.

....Flexon Batterns (which also help to reduce the weight of the leading edge of the wing, making it MUCH less work getting it over your head.)

reduce the weight... making it MUCH less work... feels so wrong. A bit like a fat bloke thinking buying titanium washers for his bike will make him cycle MUCH faster. How much actual weight has it saved from the wing? My guess is less than 1% :roll:

Good technique (and being a bit fit-n-healthy?) are more likely the key to MUCH less work :-)

Cheers

Paul = Moderately fit + Moderately fat - Good technique :oops:

Apco claim it saved 300 grammes on a total wing weight of 5400 grammes for the small, so about 5%. Remember though, that is weight saved specifically at the leading edge, not distributed through the wing. Also, the function (IMHO) makes a significant difference to inflation. I bet if a motor manufacturer could save 5% weight AND improve function, they would jump at the chance. There is also the advantage that the battens shouldn't deteriorate over time and with bad packing the way that mylars do.

Whether you believe sales hype is of course up to the individual, but I know how much better it inflates than my previous wing.

fusion stuff sack ......I am not keen on it ....why Because when you pull the cord to close it up you have to be so so so carefull not to trap parts of the wing in the chrome rings and then pull bits of wing through them .. :x ...It needs the cord to be covered the whole way round the stuff sack so this can-not happen.... :? ...so any body know of one..... :?: ...? or do I make my own.... :roll: the two reasons why I need a stuff sack are I am l lazy....and no matter how hard I try those flexy fusion batten things refuse to let me fold it :shock: