Who wants to fly from Enstone airfield, Oxfordshire?

I popped into Enstone airfield this morning and spoke to a senior member of one of the flying clubs residing there. He would be delighted to allow the use of part of the field for paramotoring.

In fact he said if I know some other local pilots then invite them down as well 'the more the merrier'. He is keen to encourage an active paramotoring community at the airfield. He used to be a paraglider and paramotor pilot and wants to bring the sport back to the airfield.

The field he is suggesting runs parallel to the runway and is currently fairly overgrown. He will cut 3 strips into the grass approx 40mtrs wide running ene/wsw, wnw/ese and e/w.

Those that can take off within a short distance should be able to do the southern directions as well but north would be the runway so not really doable. We would have our own pattern which would run clockwise or anticlockwise(Depending on wind direction) around the clubhouse for either circuits or to set up for XC.

We would have to stay aware of the flight activity from the airfield as we wouldn't want to tangle with the GA aircraft taking off from there.

The only downside is that last launch is at 7:30PM. Landing can be after that as long as you have got off by that time.

If there are any pilots who would like to take advantage of this opportunity then let me know as Paul (my contact) would like to arrange an induction meeting.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Still training with Simon W at the moment but planning ahead and looking for "local" flying sites. I am based near Thame, Oxon. Used to fly Microlights and GA so I have been into Enstone several times. Good location so let let me know any further info or possible into meeting etc..

Best Regards

Ian Evans

mob: 07968 097 580

Hi Tom and Ian

Interest noted.

I'm not around for a few days Tom due to family commitments in Essex and Bournemouth so grounded for a little while. I should be back latter half of next week and I'll drop you a line if I head out to the field and I'll bring my spare wing and my harness with me if you are free.

I flew over your way at the beginning of the week. I'd had a mammoth task getting airborne and was a bag of sweat by the time I eventually got off. My flight was cut short and I had to land 45mins in due to my exhaust bolts breaking but made it back to my field. I've got some video I may publish if I get a chance.

Cheers

Mark

We have now arranged the meeting for Enstone airfield for today Saturday 11th July 2009.

Even if you haven't previously expressed an interest you will be very welcome to attend. It would be great if you could let me know but I'm happy if you just turn up!

We are gathering at the airfield at 4:30pm and it will just be a run down on the facilities, safety awareness etc and also to get a better ideas of numbers. Then maybe a run down to the local pub afterwards. Paul (Enstone flying club representative) is going to be there until 7pm and is happy to answer any questions.

Also, there is a facility to take a training course to obtain your radio operators licence and there is already interest in this (me included) soif this is something you would like to do then another good reason for coming.

Directions to Enstone Flying Club as follows:

Assuming you can find your way to Enstone Airfield (if not, let me know), drive into the complex and follow the road round past the industrial units and through the storage yard (think flying clubs are signposted).

There are 2 flying clubs, 1st is on the left on other side of runway (you DON'T want this one), 2nd is further on, on this side of the runway, this IS the one you want. As I am aiming to get there before you, you should see my white VW van (black tube on roof) in the car park. I'll be in the car park or the club house.

My mobile is 07779 237968 please call if you have any queries.

Hope to see lots of you there later!

Cheers

Mark

A group of us did meet Paul Fowler from Enstone flying club and he gave us the low down on what would be required to fly from Enstone. Basically the only two requirements are;

• That we have and use air band radio (they can do the licence in house)

• Pay the £60 a year membership of the flying club but this is well worth it as far as I can see

Some of the benefits;

• Large take off field with our own pattern. This would be a clockwise or anti clockwise rectangle to the south of the runway with a maximum height of 400ft to give separation to other air traffic. You can also drive onto the field for unloading.

• Secondary small field next to club house for ground handling/wing work/general loafing.

• Clubhouse with basic snacks and cold drinks available

• Toilets

• Showers (available shortly)

• Large inflatable pool

• Bar (available from the end of the month)

• Hanger available for drying out wet wings etc.

• Computer onsite for checking weather/notams etc.

• The airfield has it’s own weather station which can be accessed via the website http://www.enstoneflyingclub.co.uk

• Four webcams to see the conditions at the airfield live.

• There is a club meeting on the 1st Thursday of every month

• They hold various events through the year including a rather impressive firework display in November. They are having a BBQ in a couple of weeks time. (They are also happy to host other events).

• There is a set aside space for camping for those wishing to do so.

• The facility for undertaking your PPL or microlight licence if you want.

Paul fowler seems very keen to get paramotors flying from enstone he should be contacted for further information.

Tom :)

Dave,

There are two parts to it; Theory(exam) and practical, you either buy the book and study for the exam yourself and then do the practical or you do a classroom theory course prior to sitting the exam and then do the practical.

The cost is around £210 for the full wammy but it can be cheaper if you study yourself.

you will need to speak to Paul Fowler to get more details and to confirm these prices though.

I am definatly going to do it as I feel it would be a benifit for the future.

Tom

Sounds like a great place to fly from and chill out in as well.

I have looked at Enstone on my CAA map and there doesn't seem to be any restrictions or cautions around this 'very busy airfield'.

Am I looking at the right place or can someone explain please?

Eddie

Sounds like a great place to fly from and chill out in as well.

I have looked at Enstone on my CAA map and there doesn't seem to be any restrictions or cautions around this 'very busy airfield'.

Am I looking at the right place or can someone explain please?

Eddie

Hi Edward

As with all airfields you need permission to land and take off from them. This is normally obtained by radio so whilst there isn't a CTA there the actual airfield will have restrictions in place.

The PPG take off runs parallel to the runway which has a mixture of fixed wing/flex wing microlights and fixed wing GA planes taking off and landing. During a busy weekend there can be quite a lot of air traffic using the runway, some of which will be students.

There are also 2 circuits, 1 for microlights and 1 for GA, there would be a third when the PPGs are established.

This is the reason that radio is pretty much essential for safe running of the airfield. There will no doubt be times/days when it seems ridiculous to use radio as you may be the only one on the field but you have to accomodate the times when you are not.

As far as the rest of it is concerned it's what Tom said. If you were looking to do your Radio course anyway then the airfield is well worth the membership if you live close enough to take advantage of it.

Flying from an airfield is a lot safer than flying on your own and a lot more fun when you have some like minded guys to fly with.

You would also be interacting with Pilots from different disciplines so the potential to learn could be immense.

It was intimated that there may be room for a discount for group bookings of radio courses.

By all means give me a call or drop me an email if you need any other info (or post on the forum).

Paul's details if you wish to contact him are:

Paul Fowler

01608 678204

email: info@enstone-flyingclub.co.uk

Cheers

Mark

Chaps did you get to fly at enstone on saturday? I would have been at the airfield nyself if it was not for a prior comitment as there was a MX meeting on the track on the west side of the field.

Dave.

Hi Dave

We didn't go with the intention to fly and as has already been said there is some stuff that we need to put in place prior to flying such as radio licence and club membership.

These are both fairly easily resolved and Paul says that the airfield can be made ready in fairly short order.

I'm working away at the mo in bournemouth but when I get back I'll be putting my radio course into process and no doubt will be asking around if anyone else is ready so we can maybe gain advantage of a group booking.

I'm very much looking forward to it.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark. This airfield is sounding good. Yes l would be interested in the Airband radio course and also having a look and flying from same.

Mike

Hi Mike, I'll drop you a line when I book my own course if you are ready for it. With regards to flying though that's a Bl**dy long way for you to drive! You would have to be sure it's worth your while methinks.

Say Hi to Jackie for me:)

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark

It was Eddie at the June fly-in, now it is Edward, am I that easily forgotten LOL???

I appreciate the value of the radio at a very busy airfield as I logged a few hours on microlites at Enstone last year!

It is great to think that we could use Enstone as a base to fly from but I have no knowledge of airband radio and am trying to find out elsewhere on the forum more info.

Any skill that improves safety in the air is welcome but the cost is relevant when we can fly without it elsewhere.

I will certainly be interested on any info with regards the course and/or equipment and hope to join you there soon.

Please keep me informed on courses etc

See you soon

Eddie

Hi Mark

It was Eddie at the June fly-in, now it is Edward, am I that easily forgotten LOL???

I appreciate the value of the radio at a very busy airfield as I logged a few hours on microlites at Enstone last year!

It is great to think that we could use Enstone as a base to fly from but I have no knowledge of airband radio and am trying to find out elsewhere on the forum more info.

Any skill that improves safety in the air is welcome but the cost is relevant when we can fly without it elsewhere.

I will certainly be interested on any info with regards the course and/or equipment and hope to join you there soon.

Please keep me informed on courses etc

See you soon

Eddie

Sorry Eddie.

Been supping the sherry tonight so I'm all over the place (can't hold my alchohol).

I know that cost is very relevant especially if you had no intention originally of taking a radio course. This is going to be the biggest obstacle for the casual pilot.

The club fee though is very worthwhile and I don't think anyone would have an objection paying that.

I would like to do this plus I love the social aspect of the sport as well and if a handful or more pilots could get together for a fly and a chinwag that adds another dimension to it (especially as it's only 20mins away for me).

My own field is often overgrown and at the moment has cattle in so can't be used and a substitute field that the very kind farmer let me use is pocket handkerchief size.

And who knows if you get friendly with the fixed wing guys there may be opportunities for the odd flight now and again;)

Cheers

Mark

Cheers Guys

All noted. We have 12 people who have expressed an interest in one form or another. I've no problem with another get together be it in a pub or elsewhere but have found that organising lots of peeps to be in one place at the same time is like pulling teeth! Happy to do it though (arrange a meet NOT pull my teeth).

I'm going to be organising my radio course within the next couple of weeks so I guess that will be the starting point.

Those that are interested in doing this at the same time then let me know during the next week or so and we'll see what we can do for a group discount.

Also let me know whether you are looking at the diy route or the full monty. I'm going to go for the full monty I think as my attention span isn't what it was when reading:)

Cheers

Mark

Just sent an email to Paul to let him know that I will be booking a radio course for one or more imminently. I shall be dropping in there tomorrow morning to pay my membership fee to get the whole thing rolling.

Dan_P, Eddie and Paul Wallington (if you are still interested) if you let me know your email address I'll put you on the email group that I've set up for updates. I'll be running out another update tomorrow just duplicating what I've said here and any further developments from when I see Paul in the morning.

Cheers

Mark