So far so good with repaired exhaust

I got up for a 50 min flight tonight to test out the exhaust and other stuff I've been working on.

Thanks for the welding job Pete it seems to be holding up fine so far (fingers are still firmly crossed). I used silicone on the joints as per your suggestion and give it a quick respray although I ran out of paint halfway through, but I did get a first coat on.

For some reason it's idling very rough now which is a first! So much so in fact that it stalled just as I finished strapping myself in. It wouldn't start on my back so I had to get out and restart it. This time I held on to the throttle and kept it going (not easy while strapping in).

Also when I gave it a quick run after landing it almost died when I throttled up. I had to gently ease the throttle on to prevent it stalling. I remember you mentioning this very thing (along with a very accurate noise description). Just can't remember what you said the problem would have been though.

The test run was at full revs then killed it to check the plug colour. It was half and half, chocolate brown and cream! Looked good enough to eat.

I'd sorted the tiny tach (broken wire). The strange thing was it was showing maximum revs at around 9800 and I always used to get 9200. I'll have to look into the max revs for this engine (I think it's 10000) and what potential probs this could cause.

Nice flight though apart from taking off with twisted risers which is the first time I've done that. Did a quick circuit to determine the seriousness of the problem. Wing shape looked fine, brakes unhindered as was the tip steering so decided to continue with the flight. Apart from the trimmers being a little awkward to get to it didn't make any apparent difference to the flight characteristics that I could determine.

The launch itself caught me by surprise as I got on in just a few steps running uphill! I just love a bit of a breeze :D

I put five litres in for the fifty minute flight and pretty much landed on fumes. Not great economy although I was at 8000 or more revs for much of the flight.

Great evening!

Cheers

For some reason it's idling very rough now which is a first! So much so in fact that it stalled just as I finished strapping myself in. It wouldn't start on my back so I had to get out and restart it. This time I held on to the throttle and kept it going (not easy while strapping in).

Also when I gave it a quick run after landing it almost died when I throttled up. I had to gently ease the throttle on to prevent it stalling. I remember you mentioning this very thing (along with a very accurate noise description). Just can't remember what you said the problem would have been though.

You need to open the low jet a little if it dies on throttle up

The test run was at full revs then killed it to check the plug colour. It was half and half, chocolate brown and cream! Looked good enough to eat.

You could close the high jet just a little and check the plug again

Cheers

Or bring down to the pole one day and we will tweak it again.

Pete b

[/b]