Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

Does anyone have a list of common airband frequencies?

any dedicated for ballooning / helicopters?

Could a list be generated for reference?

I've tried 'googling' for them and come up with several.....


Link to post
Share on other sites


Ian White - V23b came up with these a little while ago.

For a pilot legally to operate a radio from a hang glider or paraglider, he must comply with the law in three areas:

• The radio transmitter must be of a type approved by the CM.

• The glider operator or owner must have a station licence for that radio. These can be obtained by writing to: WT Radio licensing, Directorate of Airspace Policy, K6 Gate 6, CAA House, 45 - Kingsway, London WC2B 6TE, by telephoning: 0207453 6555, by e-mailing: radio.licensing@dap.caa.co.uk, or from their web site at www.caa.co.uk (search for ‘hang glider’).

• The pilot must either possess a Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s (BiT) licence or must only use the following


— 118.675 MHz. This is a dedicated paragliding and hang-gliding frequency which can be used anywhere in the UK

FIR, up to and including 5000 ft AMSL.

— 129.9 MHz, 129.95 MHz, 130.1 MHz, 130.125 MHz and 130.4 MHz. These are sport aviation frequencies, and their users include parachutists, balloon pilots and sailplane pilots.

— The International Distress Frequency, 121.5 MHz. This frequency can be used to alert the emergency services.

Among the station licence conditions is the requirement that operator must exercise strict radio discipline and that the procedures must I based on those set out in the CM publication CAP 413

120.900, 130.100, 130.125 and 130.400 Gliders

129.975 Gliders (to mobile field units)

122.475 Hot Air Balloons

130.525 and 129.900 Parachutes

129.825 Microlights

118.675 Hang/Paragliders

Hope that helps.

Edited by Guest
Link to post
Share on other sites

I never realised that you could use an airband radio legally without an operators licences. It obviously wouldn't help with talking to ATC but it would be nice to be legally able to communicate with other pilots.

Is the station licence a formality or do you have to prove understanding of Radio procedure/pass an exam?

Or am I misunderstanding the whole thing?


Link to post
Share on other sites

The station license is a 'pay your fee and fill in a form' type thing. The hiccup with that is that your radio must be included on the list of sets with type approval, which most of the current ones around, including the ICOM A6 & A24 are not.

The operators license however is rather more involved, but not impossible by any stretch of the imagination. Go and have a chat at your local flying school, they might let you study for and take just that isolated exam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 11 years later...

Is what Ian said still valid?

Therefore I can pay my £75 for "UK Aeronautical Station (Recreational Aviation)" and then I can use those frequencies, in accordance to CAP 413 (Rule #1 - don't be a bellend) AND *NOT* have to take a Radio course/exam?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
  • Create New...