What Wing and paramotor to buy?

helo1

Hi just joined the web site, read loads about the sport, watched the videos on You-tube, now ready to start looking for the kit, and get the training.

There are so many makes out there not sure the best kit to go for. My weight is 15.5 stone. Watching the videos on You tube saw a few crashes, that seemed to happen without any warning, front end of the wing colapsing, thank god they walked away.

I am looking for a wing that is bomb proof, I want safety not speed, can anyone suggest a wing that fits the bill, and a motor that can lift my 15.5 stone. Thanks Great web site.

Not sure that any wing is bomb proof.... :wink:

That said I think that buying the best kit you can afford and most importantly getting some good training you can minimise the chances of any serious crashes. It is a good step to have started doing research and joining this forum means that you will get access to a wealth of knowledge from other pilots.

I'm around 100kg and have just purchased a ParaJet Macro with a 28 Revolution wing. I had heard many good things about this combo and am lucky enough to live close to the factory so was able to get a good insight into what goes into the paramotor. I also found that they were able to answer all of my questions. Other pilots here will prefer other manufacturers, such as PAP, Bailey or RAD, each has their own merits and reasons why they prefer a particular make.

Get as much information and insight as you can, and make an informed decision. Good luck and enjoy :)

Not sure that any wing is bomb proof.... :wink:

That said I think that buying the best kit you can afford and most importantly getting some good training you can minimise the chances of any serious crashes. It is a good step to have started doing research and joining this forum means that you will get access to a wealth of knowledge from other pilots.

I'm around 100kg and have just purchased a ParaJet Macro with a 28 Revolution wing. I had heard many good things about this combo and am lucky enough to live close to the factory so was able to get a good insight into what goes into the paramotor. I also found that they were able to answer all of my questions. Other pilots here will prefer other manufacturers, such as PAP, Bailey or RAD, each has their own merits and reasons why they prefer a particular make.

Get as much information and insight as you can, and make an informed decision. Good luck and enjoy :)

Hi Helo1

Welcome to the forum. Paramotoring has an enviable safety record in the UK. Accidents happen mostly when people push their limits like performing aerobatics or flying in less than ideal conditions. There is little to choose from performance and safety wise between the leading brands of paramotors and wings. The choice boils down to personal preferences like whether you prefer electric starters to manual starters despite the added weight or clutch drives to clutch-less drives etc etc. As long as you don't buy a high performance wing or an outdated wing to start with, you should be okay. Generally speaking, a reflex wing will give you greater speed and penetration into wind, at the cost of increased fuel consumption, lower glide ratio and faster landing speeds. A paragliding wing will be slower, but landing speeds will also be slower and you can use it for free flying too. People will generally recommend the kit they own for the little features on them that they prefer. It is up to you to decide if those features are more important to you than others offered by other manufacturers.

I agree with you on that score Leoibb. Especially as the guy is 15 stone. I'm down to 15-5 stone now and still used all of my 80 kg thrust this morning on Dartmoor to stay level at times and thats with an efficient 8-3 / 1 hill wing. My mates got a 29 synth here and he had to trim back so his Black Devil 172 cc would keep him up and he's only 12 stone tops. Only my opinion, but, if you can get to your feet with a 200 simo on yer back, have one. I was using 2/3 rds of the fuel that my mate did this morning. That's an hour longer in the air on 10 litres. Just waiting for the gusts to go away now so I can try to get his Synth off the ground. Wish me luck

must have been strange conditions full power on ya beast to stay level, cant see ya strugglin with the synth they a pretty easy nice wing apparently.

i had plans to go out today but wind has been higher than it stated so i left it alone its been strange lately gonna have to get down to meet you chaps dowm there

I agree with you on that score Leoibb. Especially as the guy is 15 stone. I'm down to 15-5 stone now and still used all of my 80 kg thrust this morning on Dartmoor to stay level at times and thats with an efficient 8-3 / 1 hill wing. My mates got a 29 synth here and he had to trim back so his Black Devil 172 cc would keep him up and he's only 12 stone tops. Only my opinion, but, if you can get to your feet with a 200 simo on yer back, have one. I was using 2/3 rds of the fuel that my mate did this morning. That's an hour longer in the air on 10 litres. Just waiting for the gusts to go away now so I can try to get his Synth off the ground. Wish me luck

Sure you havn't leaned it off too much Dave. I know what you are like for fiddling with the carb!!!

You'd be prettier if you went to bed earlier Rich. :wink: Power was not in question. You know what Dartmoor's like. If I wasn't such a numpty I would stay in the lifty places. We cant all be cool like you Whitters.

Flew the 26 Fusion last night. :twisted: Yeah ! ! ! Nice glide on neutral. Points at the ground mighty quick if you ask it. Ding dongs a bit but if I was a better pilot I could've got the timing right and sorted that straight away instead of doing wingovers ! (I jest) Great fun wing. Not the most relaxing to fly and the owner had the same look on his face when he landed my Flat-Top.

I need to buy something, now my Atis has gone, but I would like to try a Nucleon first

Dave