Flying smaller wings/ Geoff Goin

In that case I'd definately get airborn nicely with the 23 Fusion but it might be a bit lively. I flunked 2 forwards this morning with a 30 metre wing. I'm sure a smaller would be easier. I ground handled Patricks little Apco and it was a piece of cake. I'm not sure that one would have the efficiency to keep me aloft easily though

Indeed the 23 Fusion is a sporty little wing. But you can be very very precise with where you put it.

I am as I say, going to the 20 as soon as they are on the market.

Although I thihk you may be a little 'big boned' to try the 23, maybe Pete B will let you have a go on his 26? (the down side is that it looses 'some' of its sporty handling)

Pete has flewn both quite a bit so can inform you more on this one as I have only flewn the 26 once.

TO BE CLEAR!!! I AM NOT TALKING TO NEW PILOTS HERE!!!!!! LOOK AT AND LISTEN TO THE ABOVE VID HE DOES A MUCH BETTER JOB OF EXPLAINING IT THAN I.

SW :D

Hi Dave

The 23 and 26 are very similar on take off and landing speed wise, in the air the 23 really will cut a tight turn and is great fun

but don't think that the 26 is slow it will do the same just a little slower and needs a bit more input.

My 26 is available for you to try as soon as I replace the lines.

Pete b

Shouldn't they perform pretty much the same as each other, but just with different MAUW?

Maybe it's late and I've missed the point, sorry.

Being lighter loaded on the 26 it is a tad slower to respond, not a lot but just noticeable.

I would prefer a 23 now.

Pete b

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the view that smaller wings are easier to inflate and therefore launches are less likely to go wrong (especially forward launches). I also think that the majority of intermediate and experienced pilots will prefer the handling of smaller wings but……

In the video Geoff is comparing a modern small efficient wing to a larger less efficient wing, this is not particularly helpful, as someone considering a new wing will want to compare a modern small efficient wing to a larger modern efficient wing. The comments from Pete are more helpful because he is comparing the same wing in different sizes.

I am more interested in reducing the amount of thrust required, so that I can have a smaller, lighter, quieter, smoother motor, so for me the question is: what speed does a particular wing fly most efficiently at? And what size wing do I need to fly at this speed (with my weight)? If I can find the answer to these questions I know what size wing to buy.

Paul D

I agree with the view that smaller wings are easier to inflate and therefore launches are less likely to go wrong (especially forward launches). I also think that the majority of intermediate and experienced pilots will prefer the handling of smaller wings but……

In the video Geoff is comparing a modern small efficient wing to a larger less efficient wing, this is not particularly helpful, as someone considering a new wing will want to compare a modern small efficient wing to a larger modern efficient wing. The comments from Pete are more helpful because he is comparing the same wing in different sizes.

I am more interested in reducing the amount of thrust required, so that I can have a smaller, lighter, quieter, smoother motor, so for me the question is: what speed does a particular wing fly most efficiently at? And what size wing do I need to fly at this speed (with my weight)? If I can find the answer to these questions I know what size wing to buy.

Paul D

Hi Paul

The polar curve Should tell you what is the most efficient speed to fly at is.

As far as the size of wing I would go for the largest that would allow me to stay just above the bottom of the weight range, also remember that differing wings will behave differently at this low wing loading so please try them all first so you are happy with the wing you eventually end up with.

Pete b

Quote - The polar curve Should tell you what is the most efficient speed to fly at is. As far as the size of wing I would go for the largest that would allow me to stay just above the bottom of the weight range, also remember that differing wings will behave differently at this low wing loading so please try them all first so you are happy with the wing you eventually end up with.

Pete b

Yes the polar curve is useful, but it shows the performance when in the middle of the weight range, if the wing is flown near the bottom, then the curve remains about the same shape but moves up and left in the graph, giving a slower 'speed to fly' and a smaller sink rate, the problem is we don't know exactly by how much?

Paul D

I am overcomplicating things here, (all the polar curve rubbish!) , if someone like me wants a really efficient wing, at the expense of handling and easy launches, then the important things are the L : D (glide angle) and getting the right size, which is probably means being in the bottom half of the weight range. Then test flying it.

Paul D

Edited by Guest

I am overcomplicating things here, (all the polar curve rubbish!) , if someone like me wants a really efficient wing, at the expense of handling and easy launches, then the important things are the L:D and getting the right size, which is probably means being in the bottom half of the weight range. Then test flying it.

Paul D

Yes

Pete b

• 3 weeks later...

Here's my stats if its worth a comment. I am all up weight of 115kg + 10kg more for fuel. I am flying the Fusion 29. Coming from the Re-Action 29. I am getting more speed and more economy from the Fusion. I have not flown the smaller sizes so I have no direct comparison. Handling for me feels good across the trim range difficult to say if its more or less dynamic it varies greatly depending on the trim. But it does feel different :)

Im not finding the landing super slow or anything so I guess its much the same smaller wing has more stored energy to bleed off. I am hoping to try all the sizes at the end of august and will know for sure. Paramania Day up my way east anglia with the 'Fly-In For Fun Summer event' http://www.paramotornews.com I will report back with my findings. Economy was an aim of mine so I can cover greater distances, I would be interested to know how much difference there is with a smaller wing.