Fire Extinguishers.

All,

As a result of Petes accident....

I am talking to 2 fire extinguisher importers at the moment and trying to get a deal on 5 or 6. I intend to send one out for free to all UK PMC instructors. It is in the Ops manual already that you have one, but I would hate to think that there is a site out there without one for any reason.

I have also had a chat with a local fire safety company about running a 1 day 'PMC fire safety officer' course for a few people. Please let me know if your interested in attending this course. (you do not need to be a member to attend this, but AFI's QFI's and members will get the first places.)

I think the above course is needed becasue of the amount of fuel that we have with us for our sport, and the use of the wrong extinguisher or aiming to high with it, and you can make matters much worse in a few seconds.

If you have one, please do take it to the site with you, and leave it so that a passer by could find it with ease. You just don't know....

The flag pole site, will soon have a much more extensive first aid kit, (the burn dressings have been replaced with much larger ones and more of them already.) which from now on will be in a silver alloy box marked 'First Aid' and left outside of the land rover under the tree we all park byside. (this will be added to the local flying orders so that all who visit will know as well) The accident book will also be in the same box, and I ask that the most seinior pilot on site fills it in on the day.

I am also on the blag for a stretcher as I know it was a tough job lugging even pete up that hill. I intend to fit this along the roof rack of the landrover with valcro straps as soon as I find one.

This could all read to be a little daunting to new pilots or people starting, I just want to stress that the actions above are not because I think it will happen again. It is because our site is getting busyer every day and the standards / kit needs to reflect that to keep us as safe as possible.

Again, thanks to everyone who was there on the day.

SW :D

Simon, I think that these measures are more reassuring than daunting to new students/pilots. It is good to know that procedures are in place should anything go wrong and that people are trained in what the best course of action to take. This can only be a positive from my point of view.

Simon,

I agree a professional 'fire course' is a good idea, but I think it would also be sensible to brief all students / site users on fire equipment basics. A lot of it is common sense along with a few bits of key information.

Apologies if this is already part of the training sylabus, my copy is at home so cant check.

Jon

Simon,

I agree a professional 'fire course' is a good idea, but I think it would also be sensible to brief all students / site users on fire equipment basics. A lot of it is common sense along with a few bits of key information.

Apologies if this is already part of the training sylabus, my copy is at home so cant check.

Jon

I want to do the course so that I know how to show/brief all people on site to do it properly.

Pete b

Simon,

Jon

I want to do the course so that I know how to show/brief all people on site to do it properly.

Pete b

Pete,

I thought the implication from Simon's post was that there would be a few people who were 'Fire Safety Officers'. As there is no guarantee one on them would always be there or able to act, I was just suggeting that all have enough knowledge to act if required. But yes the people who give the briefings would obviously need to be trained first.

Jon

Talking of fire extinguishers, does anyone know what happened to me in all the excitement. I'd fully understand if it was slung in the tree in disgust as the bloody thing failed but if someone has got it, could you let me have it back as I'd like to get it recharged and it fits nicely in a cradle in my van.

Years ago I saw some tiny fire extinguishers about the size of a litre bottle of oil, perfect for carrying on your actual paramotor with you (imagine if Pete had one on his harness!). Can't seem to find them anywhere, anybody got any ideas?

To add to the above, I find it very comforting to see all these safety measures happening, it often takes an incident to make things happen but thats the same with all sports. I hope I never see an incident like that again but if I do then I'd like to think we could be a little more prepared for it!