RAD MXL

glennP

Hi ,

Just bought a RAD MXL which appears to be in good condition. I've noticed though that one of the blades has a nick in it about half way down the face on its leading edge. I've heard that Beatsons in Sheffield sell the London Fan Co RA+ blades. I wanted to know what dimensions I needed to give them for the blades to fit the MXL and if they wre anti static GRP or normal GRP?

Also wondering if anyone knew what the common problems were with the MXL/Raket 120 and any mods to be performed?

I recently posted a question about Gin Power Risers and the Mk1 Bolero. I got a response back from UKAirsports the UK Gin importer and apparently the power risers for the BoleroPlus DO FIT the original Bolero. This is from Gin himself apparently hence Mark/Patricks delay in getting back to me. They were £75 incl postage. Not sure what other GIN PG/freeflight models they fit.

Cheers,

Glenn

Hi,

Not a greatly useful post but here goes. I can confirm Beatsons do the blades, I went there in person to pick them up, around £18 each. I got them to cut them to a certain length but I can't remember the length or where I got the correct measurement, sorry. Perhaps you could just measure the orginal ones. Also you could buy them whole and cut them to length yourself to give the required clearance from the cage. I remember the cut job they did was pretty rough and I had to neaten it up myself anyway.

Regards anti-static - never even knew this was an option, I just asked for RA+ GRP.

Hi Arcus Flyer,

I contacted the LFC and they wanted to know allsorts so I thought I'd ask before I went to Beatsons. I can just measure the length of the face and give them that I suppose. I don't know if anti static makes any difference......

Did you have the MXL long? I know most people use it as an entry level paramotor and then move on to bigger and heavier things. :lol:

I'm only 77kg so I don't need a high power model and will use the RAD for getting up to thermals. I wish I'd got one with a fully collapseable frame instead of the semi as it only just fits in my car. :oops:

Cheers,

Glenn

Hi,

I just went straight to Beatsons which is maybe why I didn't get as many questions / options. I didn't have it too long, just enough time to get a couple of short flights in. A friend of mine had one too. The engines always seemed very reliable and I suspect if my technique at the time had been a bit better, the lack of power would have been less of an issue (even at nearly 90 kg). I was planning to enhance all the netting on the outside (+ sides) of the frame but in the end the lure of a new PAP (quieter, more power, low active h points and a clutch) proved too much and I must admit - it feels much better. Didn't have any major problems with the RAD though so hopefully you'll be fine. Just get some good ear protectors.

I like my curries so maybe the anti static blades are the best option :lol:

I 've got to upgrade the netting. It's not great. I've seen the sparrow netting someone posted on here and that's the next upgrade. Maybe it should be the first???

The Woody Valley harness isn't that great. I'm sure the seatboard is too narrow but I'm sure I can put up with it.

Can't wait for some decent weather to try the RAD out.

Glenn

Well I upgraded the netting on my Rad Arrow (upgraded MXL) with this stuff on ebay item no. 220320576945

It's just the ticket and so much more robust than the string that comes with it.

You can see the result at the start of my youtube vid. Search for 'Paramotoring In Oxfordshire Pt3 Revolution Maiden flight' as the links won't post.

You'll also notice the upgraded exhaust. This is from the Radne site and although it ain't cheap it's much better than the bog standard one. A known issue with Rad exhaust is the flexi link breaking. I went through 5 or 6 before the upgrade. Don't know if it would fit the MXL though!

Also keep an eye on the starter cord as there have been lots of reports of premature fraying/breaking of the cord and I had three in the first couple of flight hours.

Jon eventually traced a sharp edge within the starter unit.

Also check all of the nuts and bolts on a regular basis as they are not threadlocked. Good advice would be to either threadlock or drill and wire as many bolts as you can as this can become a real problem. Again this is something that other pilots have also reported.

Good luck with your new toy!

Edited by Guest

Hi Cage UK.

You will be able to post link after you have made 5 posts in the forum. This is to prevent internet 'smash and grabbers' posting links.

SW :D

Excellent advice Cage! Many Thanks!

Ordered some netting that I'd seen here on the Paramotorclub forum but want something a bit bigger for the areas low down on the cage where there is less chance the brake handle will go through. Hopefully will reduce the form drag.

The bolts and nuts have all been torqued up and marked with felt tip so I can check for any movement. Have just bought a safety wire kit off ebay but I don't have the facilities to drill the nuts and bolts at the moment. Will have to phone a friend. I've got some thread lock in the tool box so will give the nuts a bit treatment and dig out the torque wrench.

Will take a look at your video.

Cheers,

Glenn