Once in a lifetime! 27 August 09

All, on the 27th of August I will be camping at the flag pole.

The reason? a once in a lifetime chance to see this spectacular event from a place with near 0 light pollution and a direct view over a clear horizon in the direction of this amazing planet!

mars.jpg

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular!

This month and next, Earth is catching up with Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come this close to Earth in the Last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as 60,000 years before it happens again.

The encounter will culminate on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will be (next to the moon) the brightest object in the night sky. It will attain a magnitude of - 2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a modest 75-power magnification Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye .

Mars will be easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at 10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest , Mars will rise at nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren.

NO ONE ALIVE TODAY WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

ALL PMC members are welcome to join me for this! Bring the children and wifes! It should be well worth it.

SW :D

One of the things I've been doing since I had the internet is tracking the ISS (International Space Station) A few times a year this has allowed me to watch as the station streaks overhead at something like 17,000kms. My goal has been to get a photo of it.

No joy yet, but it really is something to see as it whizzes silently overhead.

However, there must be, somewhere on the face of the Earth, a point at which Mars and the moon will appear side by side. To then have the ISS streaking across in a big arc at the same time would probably the best photo of all time.

To get Mars and the Moon in the same shot would be something, to get all three would be like getting the winners of all the cup finals and all the national winners for the last sixty years, PLUS an accumulator on the next ten rolld into one.

Any boffins out there who can predict where this will be?

I know a man, who works on this project and who can work all that stuff out in his sleep

But, your best off talking to your local astro-geeks I recon. They will have a club on the moors I am sure of it.

Dill Faulkes.

http://faulkes-telescope.com/

He is a very very rich guy who had his own space telescope made and now he lets schools use it. But I think you can pay to use it from your PC or something.....

I recon they will be able to see it fairly well :D

I recon a BBQ would be in order if enough people are interested.

Do let me know if you think you will be up for it, with any luck it will be flyable on that day, and the following.

This sounds like fun and the 27th of August just happens to be the wife's birthday, could we pretend that it had all been arranged especially for her :wink:

That would earn me enough brownie points to keep me going for a whole year!

Regards

Togsie

Wot a bummer :-(

Well I have got all excited now so am still up for a BBQ at the flag pole. They say that is is closest on the 27th of August every year so no special event.

Even so, as I say... camping I will be.

Copy of find on tinternet.

An email that has circulated during July and August for several years is again hitting inboxes in 2009. The message informs recipients that the planet Mars will be passing very close to Earth in August. While this information was valid back in 2003, it is totally inaccurate for 2009. One of the 2009 incarnations of the hoax consists of a PowerPoint slide presentation that provides basically the same information as contained in the above email along with several more photographs of Mars

I was got. And the worst thing is, the misses sent it to me!