Plymouth Area Launch sites

Hi there - have recently completed PPG training in Spain & am due to pick up my Parajet Compact & Niviuk Hook package, from the factory in Mere, at the end of june.

As I work overseas my time at home is limited and I am looking for some advice on launch sites, in close proximity to the Plympton area if they exist, plus possible nice XC routes taking in Dartmoor, coastal routes etc ...

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers - Rob

Hi Rob,

Two good contacts down there for you are Whitters (Richard Whitmarsh - Truro/St Mawgan) and Dan Burton (Diver/Photographer - Exeter).

Richard is a PMC instructor, Helimed01 is his handle here (Heli Paramedic) and between he an Dan they could show you a good time in that part of the world.

Another salty stalwart is our Dave Govier. He lives Exeter way near Dan and is always up for some flying. Any or all may well pipe in soon. Whitters, Dan and myself have a cunning plan for sometime around then to take in a rather large beach ourselves....

20090510-k6kfcame1epc36u34srch3rtkn.jpg

Keep it quiet ;-)

Norman

If that's the beach I think it is, I watched a guy swim the length of it and back , when I was camping there. Fair play to that. Did you take that picture Norman ?

Also, Mark, AKA dragonphotographic, has access to possible launch site near Heathfield / Newton Abbot. Must get down to explore that one. Good base to scratch along the coast.

And dont you take any notice of the salty stalwart bit Rob (not that i would know what it is) They're just a bit envious of the gear I fly. Tis all I'm sure :)

I'd be up for some beach flying Norm BTW. That one never gets crowded either. It's further than most sun worshippers want to walk

Dave

Hi guys, Im a newbie here, but been interested in Paragliding since the late 80's but never seemed the right time to start. (money n stuff). Thinking of trying paramotoring now as costs seemed to have come down a lot since I last looked into it. Just wondering if any of you guys are using the Heathfield site to launch from. If you are mebbe I can catch up and check out your gear and get some advice? Cheers, Steve. Teignmouth.

Hi Norman, Dave, Steve, Alan et al.

Well that was certainly a fuller & quicker response than I anticpated, thank you.

I am due back to UK anywhere around end of June / beginning July and hope to be able to set some time aside for local area sector recce type activities. I have a family holiday booked in Portugal for the 1st 2 weeks of July and am looking to take my gear out there with me - as per Spain there seems to be a noticeable lack of "funbusters" there, so i hope to practice what i learnt on the course a little :-) I am however a rookie to paramotoring (have a couple of hundred on fixed and rotary which was/is of little use bar AirManship) & having recently turned 40 also more aware of my mortality :( So am very keen to learn from the much more experienced pilots that are out there.

I would be very keen to travel to any form of RV that may be organised in the future & will certainly pass on any information on launch sites that I may discover for myself. Mark - Newton Abbot sounds just peachy :D I will check in here daily from herein and hope to possibly be involved if you have any success.

Steve - I have just spent GBP 6,795 on the Parajet Compact, Niviuk hook and Gin reserve. Add in the course fees, helmets, radio, boots, altmiter, gloves and we have to be at GBP 10k ? Hence, I personally don't consider this the cheapest of sports .... if you are looking for new equipment, of your choice.

That said I did conduct some research into the 2nd hand market and I believe I could have halved the cost of the motor & wing if that was the road I went down. I would have done so but for the fact that the equipment I wanted appears to be sparce on the 2nd hand scene & I would have only bought from a personal firend or instructor - purely in the interest of quality assurance & maybe just a beginners overly cautious approach ?

Ebay seems to have quite a few motors and wings popping up - good luck mate.

Thanks again to all for the replies, keep safe.

Rob

Hi guys, thanks for the replies. Rob- about 10k was my estimate too, but to try and keep the costs down a bit I was going to look at a new wing (for safety) and nearly new harness and paramotor, if I can find them. I figure I can update with a newer more powerful motor as my experience increases. I think personally I would always be a bit wary of a second hand wing unless it was a low hours model from the flying school I go with. Too many near death experiences on bikes, dont want the same thing in a second hobby! lol Ill check back on here regularly too, to check on flying sites progress. Cheers all, Steve

Hi guys, just spotted this on fleabay. Seems a really good price. Hes selling a wing too. Do they sound a good deal? Im figuring if I buy a quality, safe but cheap setup to start, it will give me the incentive to get down to some training instead of umming and arring as i have been for years! Will a check of the wing show up any problems like bad lines or porosity etc? Anyone know this fella? Cheers

Hi guys, just spotted this on fleabay. Seems a really good price. Hes selling a wing too. Do they sound a good deal? Im figuring if I buy a quality, safe but cheap setup to start, it will give me the incentive to get down to some training instead of umming and arring as i have been for years! Will a check of the wing show up any problems like bad lines or porosity etc? Anyone know this fella? Cheers

Spotted what?

(item number or link?)

Yes a check will show everything.

Pete b

Dave,

PM on the way regards one question. Picture, yes on the way to the Carrib last month. If we reach fruition on the trip to the sand then you would be most welcome. It looks as though it may turn into a barbie at this rate. LOL

Here is another Q for you guys.

I have just spent the last week or so trying to wangle getting my Parajet over to Portugal with me, by air, with negative results.

However there is a beachfront paragliding site about 1Km from the villa and I see it as a great opp to have some fun & take a look at PG as oppsed to PPG.

Now, I have purchased a Niviuk hook which will do both tasks and am happy to pick up a harness prior to departing. So I am all set .... apart from the act that I haven't had any PG instruction, just PPG, so it may be a tadge reckless :?

So - does anyone know of any flexible instructors who would give me a day or so bespoke training, enough to ridge soar on a 13m elevation site, in the Plymouth area most likely the first week of july ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers - Rob

Rob

Search for Flying Frenzy. Andrew Pearse is the best man I know to teach you about the wing part of the equation. He's at Bridport. Another good one is Graham Phypps down at Redruth in Cornwall. He has a winch too. Richard Whitmarsh is a good contact. He's on here as helimed01 and knows Phyppsy.

Good luck. And be carefull if doing any flying abroad, without an instructor, and with low experience.

Dave

Thanks Dave - I will look into this and hopefully get what is needed.

Seen on the safety points, good advice - I'll get the eventual instructor to give me some limits based on what he observes ... probably will be told to stick to GH :-(

Cheers - Rob

Hi Rob,

If you intend to free fly at a hill site, I reccomend that you do a BHPA CP hill course. There are a great deal more things to learn about hill flying and how to stay safe while doing it and without doubt the BHPA are a good bunch to keep you safe.

No PMC Instructor will offer advice outside of this I am affraid. (they are two sports and sholud not be viewed as the same, the dangers are very different and propper training for hill flying is a must in my book)

SW :D

Hi Simon - thanks for your take on things.

I have decided that the most sensible course of action is to take my wing with me & get myself down to the site to see it for myself, hopefully meeting some like minded people.

That way it's a best case scenario of setting up some training as part of the Hol - or worst case (yeh righto) getting plenty of quality GH in, on a lovely beach with (inshallah) some quality sun.

Thanks again to all - hope to maybe meet some of you in the future for a wee spot of PPG :)

Cheers - Rob

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - just a quick update to keep the comms going.

I am back in UK and collecting my Parajet from the factory on 25/06 then spending a couple of days with Deano from SkySchool for refresher, familiarisation and some XC before I unleash myself upon the unwary PPG world !!

I'll be back in Plymouth on 29/06 (post WSB @ Donnington :D ) and have until 03/07 before I depart out of country again ....... sooooooooo if anyone is about, or knows of a good site I can launch from in local area, then please do drop a line here. Looking over some older posts on the forum it seems that Mark, AKA dragonphotographic, may have some experience getting off the ground in the Dartmoor area ? Any advice Mark ?

I hear the weather is great there at the moment ? Lucky so & so's .... it's over 30 degrees here, windy and dusty :(

Keep safe all.

Rob