Hi Flyers?

I am looking a getting a camera, please can anyone state the suitablilty for flying of these thanks

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/ContourHD_VholdR this ones a bit pricey but does HD

I dont think the above takes stills

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/GoPro_Helmet_Hero_WIDE.html this one takes a pic every two secs or video it is 5MP

here is a cheeper one http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GoPro-Wide-Hero-Camera_W0QQitemZ390047757863QQcmdZViewItem

please does anyone have any experience of these or other cameras

thanks

Simon

Check out the spec for my next camera (once I've paid my other bills) the Panasonic Lumix TZ7, wide angle, stills, 12 x optical zoom and hd video, perfect for paramotoring and its just a compact.

Pete, don't worry about your Sony camera, it would self destruct after about 5000 pics anyhow, my last 2 have so I'll never buy Sony again!

• 1 month later...
Check out the spec for my next camera (once I've paid my other bills) the Panasonic Lumix TZ7, wide angle, stills, 12 x optical zoom and hd video, perfect for paramotoring and its just a compact.

Pete, don't worry about your Sony camera, it would self destruct after about 5000 pics anyhow, my last 2 have so I'll never buy Sony again!

Malcs did you get the TZ7 ? I'm thinking about the Fujifilm FinePix F100fd which is a bit cheaper and has the new eighth-generation SuperCCD sensor which is the same technology used in the DSLR's.

Z1285_FF_250x200.jpg

12Mpx.

Takes AAs and offers 1:10min @ 640x480 video or 30min @ 720P (firmware limitation for 2Gb).

Video:

720P

640x480 (This one was converted and sped up, but 640x480 is what it is)

Photos (res @ 9Mpx but resized to 1Mb by photobucket):

Panoramas (camera stitched)

th_A_good_day_to_fly_Prim.jpg

th_Vacuum_from_away.jpg

Sunset shot

th_pointprimsunset.jpg

This cam ran 175$ CAD often on sale for 149$.

It shoots some sweet video if it's stabilized by a head or mono/tripod.

Kodak support warrant mention too as I had a flash fail and a self induced lcd crack that were both dealt with quickly and with to my door delivery of the repair/refurb camera.

I have no qualms about suggesting this camera to others as the 720P video is a bonus feature that sold me aside from the incredible pix it takes in the hands of a photo luddite such as the author of this review.

What you need is a left handed throttle ? :?:

so you can operate the camera with the right hand....... :) and still have some control of your paramotor All cameras including videos seem to think we are all right handed....Think about it :? My pap has been converted to a left hand.....I find it suits me ...... :)

Ps I had a panasonic fz28 after 3 months it stopped working :( Panasonic said it had suffered water ingress and was not covered by warranty....they said I must have put it underwater :x A cop out if ever there was......Ive got a olympus SLR now 1 yr no problems...

Thats a little like when Brasher told me my boots were not leaking even though my feet got wet every time I wore them in the wet LOL

Gruuuuuu to that sort!

SW :D

• 3 weeks later...

I've got this TZ7 now. It'll take me a while to figure it all out but first impressions are fantastic, the zoom is just brilliant with the anti shake and the HD Video is a bit good too, don't have any pictures of anything interesting at the moment though, need a flight!

Cheers

Malc

• 2 months later...

Well the F100FD was only £150 with an 8GB SDHC card, I think the TZ7 is about £100 more expensive. The F100FD is rated at 75/100 on cameras.co.uk and the TZ7 gets 85/100. I saw the Gadget show and the F100FD won their best buy award and since my old camera was a Fuji I went for it. All depends on your budget and what you will use it for........

whats the verdict on the TZ7 then, i had narrowed my choice to that one, but am not sure. Do you need 12x zoom or is the fuji a better camera?

Tough choice bignos - as both good cameras that have won group reviews (see links below).

Have added +ve's and -ve's to some key features:

Review group winner (Premium Compacts): Fuji F100fd

+ 12 effective Megapixels

- 28-140mm equiv lens with 5x optical zoom and 8.2x digital zoom

- 2.7 inch LCD with 230,000 dot resolution

= Dual Image Stabilizer

+ ISO sensitivity up to 12800

? 6 shooting modes, 14 Scene Modes including Dual Shot Mode.

+ Street price ~£190 (But availability ? as replaced by F200)

Review group winner (Compact SuperZooms): Panasonic TZ-7

- 10.1 effective Megapixels

+ 25-300mm equiv lens with 12x optical zoom and up to 85.6x Extra Optical Zoom

+ 720p HD video (AVCHD Lite), 60 fps

+ 3.0-inch LCD with 460,000 dots resolution

= Optical Image Stabilizer

- ISO sensitivity up to 1600 (up to 6400 in Auto ISO)

? 27 scene modes and Intelligent Auto Mode with scene selector

- Street price ~£240

IMHO bottom line:

If prefer larger zoom and better video - Go Panasonic

If need low light, low price and higher mp - Go Fuji

If it was my money I would probably look for a cheap Fuji on eBay (as older superceded model)

But either way I think you will be surprised how good both cameras are.

Anyway hope this is of some help :shock::D

Andy

• 4 years later...

Can I bump this up the top again and ask what people think the best super compact camera is now for easy snapping from a paramotor. I'm not in the David Bailey league, as in the "what to use for aerial photography thread" so I'm not looking for DSLR

If it was the Lumix range are they still the ones?

I think I've done the due searching through the threads, but all seem a bit old. I am prepared to be corrected though!

Hi Pat I use a Drift HD and it's great very versatile as you can turn the lens through 360 the newer version is smaller and even better

Neilzy

Neilzy

I was thinking about stills really, I have a GoPro for video ( and don't let's pick the scab off the video debate!!!)

P

Pat have a look at this type

PowerShot SX500 IS

There is many types and brands but focus on the ones with these 24mm Wide-Angle Lens (35mm equivalent: 24-720mm)

These are the cats ass of digital. I just have not had the time to review who has the best (no time right now). But if you want a digital to snap that great pic these about as good as digital gets.

cheers

T