Props.

Please use this thread to continue the conversation about Props.

I would like to start by saying, I know 100% that the compact Parajet (the one that I fly) has a prop that is 100% designed and built for Parajet. The same can be said for the Micro.

Although I know that Giles had something to do with the design of the prop on the Macro (Normans motor) It does not stop the maker for selling them to someone else.

SW :D

Hi guys

I'm a newbie and thought I would jump in with a post and say Hi.

My other aircraft is a gyroplane with a ground adjustable prop. I have spent a lot of time and money playing with these things. I replaced my original GSC three blade with an adjustable Arplast three blade. The main benefit being the reduction in weight and therefore load on the engine and a slight increase in thrust. There is no manufactuer recommended or designed prop/engine set up for my aircraft.

I am no expert but would suggest that it will be almost impossible to improve on or match the orininal manufactuers set up. I am assuming here that we are talking about a well designed and thought out motor package from a leading vendor.

An adjustable prop will at least be heavier, more complex, and if wooden need checking reguarly for adjustment changes due to to environment effects on the wood. It is also one more thing to go wrong, and in aviation you really want to keep it simple.

In my case with the gyroplane I couldn't afford to loose any thrust as my engine performance was marginal.

PaulB

...My other aircraft is a gyroplane with a ground adjustable prop. I have spent a lot of time and money playing with these things. I replaced my original GSC three blade with an adjustable Arplast three blade. The main benefit being the reduction in weight and therefore load on the engine and a slight increase in thrust. There is no manufactuer recommended or designed prop/engine set up for my aircraft.

I am no expert but would suggest that it will be almost impossible to improve on or match the orininal manufactuers set up. I am assuming here that we are talking about a well designed and thought out motor package from a leading vendor.

An adjustable prop will at least be heavier, more complex, and if wooden need checking reguarly for adjustment changes due to to environment effects on the wood. It is also one more thing to go wrong, and in aviation you really want to keep it simple.

In my case with the gyroplane I couldn't afford to loose any thrust as my engine performance was marginal...

I spent several years buying up unairworthy PFA aircraft, restoring them to flyable condition and then selling them on to fund my commercial training. One thing I did find out in that time was that most of the propellers in use were very much a compomise and could easily be improved on depending on your requirements.

Out of interest, the small increase in weight of the machined aluminium hub on the GSC prop provides better starting due to increased rotational inertia (particularly noticeable on the manual start version where you need to achieve 60rpm for the engine to catch)!

Also perhaps I can quote some stats for my own PAP system. If you look in the PAP manual it states that a Black Devil with an original PAP propeller for my 1250mm cage size will produce 59kg of static thrust at sea level. I have 2 friends in Colorado flying with the same diameter GSC adjustable from an elevation of 6000' who at that altitude are reporting a measured static thrust of nearly 65kg. That's a 10% improvement on manufacturer before you even consider the >1 mile height difference!!! They also can tailor each prop to precisely match the powerband of each individual motor if you know how to set them up.

Edited by Guest

Here's a direct quote from another forum with an interesting point...

...In all the testing that we have done with our thrust tester we have never found a machine that was more powerful with a composite propellor...

• 2 weeks later...

Norman, did you order a 2 blade prop? Also, I'm curious about the way it is said to be foldable. Does it fold in flight for reduced drag engine off like the Razzeebus?

The webpage in the link says it is foldable. Even if that was just when not in-flight that would still probably allow replacement of a single blade in the event of minor damage. Helps keep those costs down.

• 2 weeks later...