High hangpoints with standard paraglider risers

Hi,

Is anyone flying a paramotor using a normal paraglider with standard risers on a high hangpoint machine?

If so do you find flying like this comfortable enough with the higher brake handle positions and launching with the A risers in the higher position?

I ask this question as I want to fly my SOL Ellus with my Adventure F3 but SOL only make paramotor risers to suit this glider with trimmers but NOT 2 hangpoint settings.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,

I fly a Fresh Breeze with high hang points and a normal paraglider with standard risers.

I don't find it a problem on take off but it is a full stretch to grab the handles when they are parked.

My shoulders ached slightly after some of my earlier flights but I think that was because I just wasn't used to having my arms in the normal flying position.

Cheers,

Alan

I've seen some brake handle extensions on Fleabay, that might work to get the brakes more comfortable. It would also mean you could stretch a little to grab the upper handles to give you greater control authority in the flair.

Phil (aka PK)

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that, it's good to know it can be done without too much of a problem. I've been waiting over 6 weeks to receive my SOL paramotor risers only to find that when they arrived they are different to the one's shown on their website :evil:

The risers they were advertising showed 2 different hangpoint positions, one for high and one for low but when mine arrived they only have one position and apart from the fact they have trimmers they are the same as the standard risers. Apparently their advertised risers are for the newer generation of SOL gliders but they did say they would fit but thats another story!!!

I guess the trimmers will come in handy.

Hi Phil,

The break handle extensions sound a really good idea and if you have a link to who sell them would be great :D

Do you know if they are easily fitted/removed as I want to free fly the glider too?

Thanks for your help guys!

Justin

I haven't been able to find the extensions yet, but you could just buy a pair of brake handles and attach them to the same tie in point as the original brakes but with an extra six inches or so of line. Be cautious of adding too much free length to avoid free floating handles from finding their way into propellers. I suppose ideally you could add some extra keeper magnets too, or just some little bit of Velcro.

Thanks Phil, that doesn't sound like a bad idea plus I had a new pair of brake handles included withe the paramotor risers.

I will test fly it first without any changes to see how far back the brakes go hands off so I can judge whether they would be too close to the prop or too hard to reach etc.

Thanks for the ideas they have been useful!

Justin

• 8 years later...

Just reviving this old thread.  I'm going to start training soon with paramotors and have been running mine up on my back, and ground handling with the machine on but not running. Both machines I have have high hang points.   I've been free flying pg 15 years and my ground handling is good but I struggled a bit ground handling with the motor during my second session at it the other day, then I figured I'm not used to having brake handles so high.  It was also a flukey wind, thermic and changing direction a lot which didn't help!  I've made some home made extensions which I'm hoping will help. Fortunately I've got another couple of wings I can use for motoring (pg wings) so my free flying glider can stay as it is.  

I figure running with hands that high and trying to use the throttle will be difficult?  I have taken the old handles off ( knots are still in the same place so it can't go way to high through the pulley.) I  saw someone mention leaving the old handles there so you can do a big flare when landing,  but I tried it and they are a pain when ground handling reverse launching as they kept snagging the risers. I figured a few wraps when landing should do the same.

I have roughly figured what length extensions I need but after reading this will shorten a bit.

After reading of a bad accident last week I'm improving the netting on both machines as it was barely adequate and I don't want a brake getting through the cage. Using a 28mm starling netting. 

Any tips or observations would be appreciated.  

13 hours ago, Bob Moore said:

After reading of a bad accident last week I'm improving the netting on both machines as it was barely adequate and I don't want a brake getting through the cage. Using a 28mm starling netting.

Yup - think I saw that post last week too! eww

Does anyone have a contact for the netting?

I would like to have something bespoke made up for a trike..........it has never happened yet, but I do worry about the lines dropping onto the hot exhaust when landing in flat calm conditions.

Guy