Paramotor Package and Training Wanted

stew

Hi all,

I am looking into taking paramotoring up but I don’t have any knowledge to base any purchases or training on. Any assistance would be gratefully received in these areas. I am 6’1” 94kg and relatively athletic and I am looking for a package that’s safe to start with and will not need upgrading when I wish to start experimenting with it. I’m trying to find out if it’s better to buy new, or used. The best place to buy from, the kit I should be looking for (paramotors and wings / manufacturers etc), the prices for new and used and good training venues in the North West of England. I may also want to try Paragliding with the same wing if possible, so guidance on this would be good also. Please also feel free to contact me with any decent packages for sale. Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Stew

Stew,

I'm no expert as I only have 5.5 hours under my belt and still struggle to land on my feet.........sometimes!!!!

My train of thought was new. Only because if its new, it has no history and will be reliable and suitably put together for your needs.

I bought a brand new PAP with a ROS 125 engine that gives stonking amount of power. This is matched with a Paramania Revolution 28, my weight is 105kg (sorry to say - not athletic). The wing can be used as a stand alone for paragliding only but you will be hooked and will no doubt stick to flying with the motor?

Have you had a go at handling a wing or had any lessons yet?

I trained with Paul Haxby up in Yorkshire (yes I travelled all the way up from Kent as i couldnt find anybody locally!) He was brilliant and oozed enthusiasm.

I finally got off the ground with a local instructor I found.

That was my route into this madness..............haven't looked back since.

The PAP is brilliant..................

But then what do I know?

Hope something in this reply is of help? :)

Mike

Stew,

I'm no expert as I only have 5.5 hours under my belt and still struggle to land on my feet.........sometimes!!!!

My train of thought was new. Only because if its new, it has no history and will be reliable and suitably put together for your needs.

I bought a brand new PAP with a ROS 125 engine that gives stonking amount of power. This is matched with a Paramania Revolution 28, my weight is 105kg (sorry to say - not athletic). The wing can be used as a stand alone for paragliding only but you will be hooked and will no doubt stick to flying with the motor?

I trained with Paul Haxby up in Yorkshire (yes I travelled all the way up from Kent as i couldnt find anybody locally!) He was brilliant and oozed enthusiasm.

But then what do I know?

Mike

Edited by Guest

Stew,

But then what do I know?

Mike

Cheers for that. What did the kit cost if you dont mind me asking?

im glad to read so many big ups for paul haxby as im going over next week for some training myself with paul ( who i also believe is developing a new 4t motor )

if you wish to tag with me, then feel free tues wed or thurs next week.

cheers

mark.

Thanks for the offer Mark but i am away in Abersoch next week. I will take you up on the offer some other time though.

£5845.14 including vat and including the packed reserve chute !!!!!!!!!! :shock:

A bit jaw dropping but hey........................peace of mind!!!

Hi Mark. Its not cheap, but its cheaper than i have been quoted. Is that price for the motor, wing and reserve chute? If so, whom did you buy it from?

By the way, how do you start the motor. Is it pull cord or some other method?

Yep, paramotor, wing and packed chute delivered.

Bought it all from Paraventure...................just google it.

They have an impartial view on choosing a paramotor etc.

Mine doesnt have an electric start mainly because I didnt want the additional weight.

Its pull start and has a clutch which means when idling at low RPM the prop doesnt turn and so safer.

The PAP has a clever foot strap into which you feed the pull start and kick start the motor when its on your back. Useful if you have to start it up there in the sky or standing up.

Mike

a second vote for the Pap 125 from me, I know bugger all about engines or technical stuff but this thing is smooth as silk, reliable and starts first kick once you get to know the method, its even easier to start in the air but when you are frantically grabbing for it in a hurry it isn't where you think it is so best to have a little fondle around whilst it is still running!

In 11 flights on mine I have landed 10 on the cage (landing not being my strongest point) and it takes it nicely, couple of scratches is all!

Cheers

Malc

Yep, paramotor, wing and packed chute delivered.

Bought it all from Paraventure...................just google it.

They have an impartial view on choosing a paramotor etc.

Mine doesnt have an electric start mainly because I didnt want the additional weight.

Its pull start and has a clutch which means when idling at low RPM the prop doesnt turn and so safer.

The PAP has a clever foot strap into which you feed the pull start and kick start the motor when its on your back. Useful if you have to start it up there in the sky or standing up.

Mike

Thats good to know! Thanks for the guidance on this one Mark. You have been a great help. Much appreciated.

Have a good Bank Holiday and i hope the weather is good for you (so you get your new toy out!)

a second vote for the Pap 125 from me, I know bugger all about engines or technical stuff but this thing is smooth as silk, reliable and starts first kick once you get to know the method, its even easier to start in the air but when you are frantically grabbing for it in a hurry it isn't where you think it is so best to have a little fondle around whilst it is still running!

In 11 flights on mine I have landed 10 on the cage (landing not being my strongest point) and it takes it nicely, couple of scratches is all!

Cheers

Malc

It sounds as though you need a little practice with your landings Malcs, but at least its good to know that your kits up for the job. Thanks for the above.

Malcom,

I think the landing issue has to be related to the active arm system which affects the brake steering when coming in and shuffling your bum out in preparation for the inevitable landing..........good or bad!!!!

Mike

Nope, I'm just a cock basically! I'm not very good at working out my glide rate and lining it up by sight so I either come in way before the field or way after so now I tend to drive myself to where I want to be and then try to pack everything in to 4 seconds so just as I think to myself "I'd better lunge forward out of my seat and do a good flare", I'm already skidding along on my arse!!! I'm honestly not bothered though, it will all come together soon enough, I just seem to be slower than others, more likely a mental than physical thing!

I did slam in a bit hard the last time and had to pull the cage out a bit at the bottom but you'd never know it!

Cheers

Malc

Malcom,

I think the landing issue has to be related to the active arm system which affects the brake steering when coming in and shuffling your bum out in preparation for the inevitable landing..........good or bad!!!!

Mike

In what way and do you have any reasoning for stating this?

I have flown the active arm system for over 400 hours now and have never noticed anything or had any problems.

So what am I doing different??

Pete b

Malcom,

Mike

Nope, I'm just a cock basically! I'm not very good at working out my glide rate and lining it up by sight so I either come in way before the field or way after so now I tend to drive myself to where I want to be and then try to pack everything in to 4 seconds so just as I think to myself "I'd better lunge forward out of my seat and do a good flare", I'm already skidding along on my arse!!! I'm honestly not bothered though, it will all come together soon enough, I just seem to be slower than others, more likely a mental than physical thing!

I did slam in a bit hard the last time and had to pull the cage out a bit at the bottom but you'd never know it!

Cheers

Malc

A tip for checking your glide (try it with a bit of height first, till you get the idea). Pick a reference point on the ground near your proposed touch down spot and line it up with a fixed point on you or your gear (end of a swing arm, or your knee for example). If the ground point is moving away from you, you're going to come up short, and if it's slipping under you, you are overshooting. It can help you get a feel for the slope you are gliding down in differing wind conditions, and hints if you might want a touch of brake, or even a little bar/trim/power.

It might sound completely obvious, but when you are at an early point on the learning curve, there is so much happening, that you can just lose track, and even arrive at your landing suddenly remembering you've not slipped your bum out the harness yet.

Thanks Phil, yes you're right it is just too much seems to happen at once, take off used to seem like that until I cracked it and now it feels smooth and graceful. Last time I tried doing as you suggested with focusing on one point I suddenly realised I was about to hit the ground and was indeed still sat down and had the brakes hung up!! :D

Next time out will be purely landing practice!

Cheers

Malc

Another PAP vote, although I know there are other good motors out there. I found the peace of mind from brand new gear quite important.

Bought my top 80 1400 from Andy at skydragons.co.uk. Gets me into the air well at 90 kg Have really enjoyed owning/flying it since then, no problems.

Having just been to the pie and peas fly in I'd say there were many more Baileys than any other machine type there but there was quite a few happy PAPpers there too.