Sometimes u can think too much

Hi all.

For some years now I've been looking at the skybolt paramotor and fancied giving it a go. A couple of weeks back while I was wandering thru my endless links of PPG site I happened to land on the Skybolt site. To my total horror Jeff (yep another one) was closing down. He was going to stop selling his plans and the connector kit.

Holy crap ! Now I'll never get around to building my own. Well in all haste I buzzed Jeff a mail. He was nice enough to send me the plans for free, saying he still had some kits left in stock but there was a rush on to get them. I hurried over to the yahoo forum and for sure there was a bit of a skirmish of blokes just like me that had followed this for some time, thought it was a good idea but did nothing about it.... Until now.. Panic stations.

Well I'm happy to report I've sent my $100 for the kit and I should get it in a few weeks. I suppose it make little difference when I get to build the thing, at least I'll have all the bits.

So if you want to have a go then now's ya chance, but don't hang around!

I'm wondering. Are there any Skybolters on here?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, are you the same Jeff that emailed me a couple of weeks ago about the plans?

I built one last year using a KT100 kart engine, which gives me a very respectable 50Kg of thrust.

It was up for sale until a couple of days ago, I've since had a rethink and decided to keep it.

Joe

Hi Joe. In answer to your question. Yes indeed I am the very same and thanks for your input too :D Jeff got straight back to me with a copy of the plans.

In your opinion what should I budget for materials? A ball park figure will do. Also, would you have any tips on suppliers? I recon you’re the only one in Blighty that has a skybolt. D ya know if there are more?

I stumbled across your shoestring blog sometime back. At that time you were working on the silencer if I remember rightly. It looks like you did yourself proud on the build as it looks great.

My motivation behind this is a second-hand and well battered machine I bought last year. The engine is fine but the frame ain't a pretty sight. I've tided it up as far as I can but a new frame would be really nice and the challenge of building one is a red flag to a bull.

The plans did look a bit bewildering the first time I saw them. But I’ve spent a good bit of time looking over them and have a good picture in my head around the total process. I have no doubt the builders forum will give me a good pillar to lean on if needs be.

If you have any odds n sods left over you might want to sell on, just pm me and we'll sought something out.

Thanks!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm pleased that Jeff B sent you the plans, it doesn't surprise me that he didn't charge you, I found him to be very generous.

I think I paid around £80 for all the ally, I used 6063-T6 industrial grade rather than 6061-T6 aircraft grade, which is much more expensive. The 1.6mm wall industrial grade ally is plenty strong enough and readily available. I also found that the chromoly steel was very expensive and difficult to get hold of in small quantities, so I used 1.5mm wall mild steel tubing.

Once you get started on the build you'll soon get into the flow of it, it really is pretty straight forward.

If you would have asked me for any odds n sods last week, I'm sure I could have sorted something out for you but now I've decided to hang on to my machine I need to keep them.

If your able to pick it up, you're quite welcome to borrow my bender and the jig I made click here to see a picture

I think my Skybolt was the first in the UK but I'm sure that there has been other since. It really is a great design and repairs will cost you next to nothing comared to other welded frames

Keep us up to date on the build

Joe

To my surprise the Postman brought my connector kit today. Just 6 days after it was sent from the US.

Joe, thanks for making the offer of your jig. I'd be delighted to have the use of that for a while. Also it would be great to get a close look at what it is I'm about to build. Also, I should say that I'm glad you decided to keep your machine.

I've PM's you my contact details.

thanks

Jeff

Hi all. Sure I’m happy to update as the build comes together. I wasn't planning to start this until the winter but as my machine is unused and just collecting dust in a cupboard in my kitchen I might start earlier.

Jeff