JUNE Fly-in.

All,

Due to it looking too windy to fly tomorrow, I am going to comit the day to the fly-in. So tomorrow I will be going to the venue, to take some pics and have a look at the size e.t.c I will also be talking to the owner about the dates.

I think that if we have it closer to the end of June that we stand a better chance of good weather for it.

If the weather is poo, we will have some indoor stuff ready, maybe a few powerpoint lessons for those that want it, Whitters can also give a great lesson on how to remove the helmet of a Paramotor Pilot that is not breathing. (all of the students and intructors from the PCOM course can do this, can you?)

If anyone in the Oxford area or any area for that matter fancies joining me tomorrow, let me know.

SW :D

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All,

Whitters can also give a great lesson on how to remove the helmet of a Paramotor Pilot that is not breathing. (all of the students and intructors from the PCOM course can do this, can you?)

For clarification: Helmet removal whilst maintaining in-line spinal immobilisation. A part of a systematic approach known as Drs A B C. Drs = Dangers (to include control of catastrophic haemorrhage): A = Airway with C-spine controll. B = breathing. C = circulation.

In our sport the A and B can be compromised by a crash helmet, lack of knowledge / confidence in the emergency provider, (You), may delay effective management of the A B C approach.

Get some training. It may just make a difference.

Be safe.

Whitters.

And the venue for the Paramotor Club 2009 Summer Fly-in is......

http://www.commonleysfarm.com/

I visited today, and they will provide a BBQ for us on the Sat night, food during the day, and they have a bar on site :D

Some B&B rooms and self catering rooms are on site (please dont contact them just yet about rooms as I am still dotting the I's for costs.) BUT DO LET ME KNOW IF YOU THINK YOU WOULD WANT ONE 'assuming its not silly money of course'

During the lunch time 1200-1400 we will be able to use the shooting range at the end of the same field to shoot some clay's :D

In a nutshell the site is BETTER than perfect and WAY much bigger than we need, I think that it will be well worth us putting in a little extra effort to keep the owners sweet so that we can use it every year.

I have pencil booked two dates. June 5th - 6th and June 12th-13th I will pin this down tomorrow ( I would be happy with the 1st date, so it leaves more time for another one at the end of summer. )

Just thought I would give you an update, off out for food with Patrick Brook now to talk about Aus 2010. :D

I've had a look at my airmap (I'm no expert in these matters)and it looks like we would be in the Oxford AIAA 5000', close to the stub of Benson MATZ, and close to Daventry CTA FL55+. There is a Hang/paraglider winch launch site nearby to 2400' and a bird sanctuary.

It may well be worth getting hold of an airmap and having a look. I'm sure photocopies of the local area could be available on the day.

Mark.

Simon,

I would be needing a room......................us Kent boys like our home comforts!!!!

Well actually the missus wants to tag along and when I suggested tents......................it went down like a lead balloon!

Whilst flying she will have plenty to keep herslf occupied, the place looks really cool etc.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
sounds great Si, whats the airspace like above? any restrictions?

Dave.

We will be located between Oxford & Aylesbury, Mgrant is right - we are only just under the stub of the Benson MATZ, and we should also be aware of Otmoor bird sanctary that extends up to 2K. Plenty of mapwork to keep us amused :)

Silverstone is 13 miles to the North....

oxfordairmap.jpg

And Lambourn is about 15 miles to the South West

oxfordairmap2.jpg

Hi Dan

you need the right hand section of the first map. Look to the end of the Benson MATZ and the word waterperry its there.

Thats about the location, for a flight there looks like round the Didcot Chimneys and bear round the east of oxford.

If we do it I will remember to take some extra fuel, just in case!!

:lol:

Hi Simon, After Jackie getting soaked at the Pie and Peas she would definately prefer the B & B. Please Let us know prices and availability as and when they become definate. And the weather behaves itself.

Mike and Jackie 8)

Hi Simon, After Jackie getting soaked at the Pie and Peas she would definately prefer the B & B. Please Let us know prices and availability as and when they become definate. And the weather behaves itself.

Mike and Jackie 8)

Mike,

Is it you don't know how to treat a women, pitch a tent or? ;-)

Rachel, I and Kira were lovely, dry and warm in our 3 second tent and the parajet in the 2 second tent garage :-)

Count me in, probably just Sunday as I'm already booked to go to Farmer Bills Essex fly-in and Saturday night curry house visit :roll::roll::roll: that Lemmings Tracy has arranged.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul, nah, the only place we had left to pitch was on a slight slope and poor Jackie was on the downside of me (hehe) and during the night slipped against the wet tent. The rain did come down heavy that night and at 4am l had to slip her into my sleeping bag to get her warm again.

It was a tight fit but managed to get of to sleep again for a couple of hours. On the bright side l did manage to (l believe) pass my PPG rating with Mike Brown.

Mike 8)8):lol:

The Met Office says it is too early to tell whether it will be a very hot summer this year, but the signs so far are that it will be warmer than our last two summers and conditions could well trigger its heatwave warning system.

Although the forecast is for a drier and warmer summer than average it does not rule out the chances of seeing some heavy downpours at times. However, a repeat of the wet summers of 2007 and 2008 is unlikely.

So will it improve for the fly in ? lets hope so ! how many are coming so far ?

I am not sure on number to be honest.

At the last one we had 48 people over the weekend. so about the same I suppose?

It would be good to have a show of hands as I have spoken to loads of people on the phone who have said they are coming to it.

I am not sure on number to be honest.

At the last one we had 48 people over the weekend. so about the same I suppose?

It would be good to have a show of hands as I have spoken to loads of people on the phone who have said they are coming to it.

I will be there, hopefully will have Frazer in tow :D

Dave.

On one of the off roading forums we keep a running list of people who are coming out on green laning trips. Maybe we could do that for the fly-in? Just cut the latest list then paste into a reply, adding your name at the bottom. If you change your mind you can delete it later quoting a reason then we can all rip the p*ss out of you for being a lightweight. If you are a possible or Sunday only etc, you can put your name down with that info in brackets.

Here goes –

SimonW

Bathboy (Sunday only)

Outkast

Frazer (possibly)

Pete b

Mike (plus 1)

Dragonphotographic (subject to boss!)

Irm750

Looking forward to it. Can I bring a trailer tent and the dogs?

Cheers,

Ian.