What should i do...

What with the current state of the world my dream of adding a motor to my wing is now very distant indeed. I had savings but after my missus had problems at work im am now back to zero and not looking at getting that back up and running anytime soon. I have had many kind offers from Dave (outkast) and simon which i am very grateful for but i really want my own motor so that im not relying on anyone else...

Has anyone else been in this situation before? im now starting to get very annoyed and am fed up with ground handling all the time?? Has anyone else had to endure that feeling of making progress then going back 30 steps?

Yours

A 'rapidly losing intrest' Frazer

:?

Absolutely, I know exactly how that feels Frazer.

After nearly 3 years struggling to get equipment and airborne, I'm on the verge of throwing in the towel, selling up and moving on.

Because money is and has been very tight, I decided to build my own machine and spread the cost out over time. Which worked but I'm still struggling to find the cash to take things to the next level.

I suppose it all boils down to how much this flying stuff means to us and how many sacrifices we're prepared to make for the experience.

I really do sympathise with you my friend :)

Joe

Never give up on a dream, you can put it on hold until you have more time or/and money but you must never give up on your dreams.

There is nothing else that will come close to the satisfaction and friends that you will find in Paramotoring and our little community here.

Pete b

:D

Hi Frazer.

I'm sure there must be others like yourself who in these times are short of the cash needed to buy equipment, but before you throw the towel in how about forming a small syndicate with others who are in the same position, by doing that for a small outlay of cash you all get to fly, then when times get better one or all of you could then buy a second kit.

It's just a thought but is does work in other forms of aviation and boat ownership.

Like Pete said never give up mate, you won't be happy looking up and wishing you were up there.

All the best and good luck.

Dave

It's absolutely worth the wait and you are already half way there with your wing purchase.

Beg borrow and steal your way into the air, (well maybe not steal) and think of all the practice you are getting in with your wing.

The silver cloud in the recession is that it may bring a few more used motors out of garages and up for sale.......

good luck

oh boy can I relate to this?

For one I have a fairly large family,(6 daughters and a son) and they always come first. You have to feed and clothe the little buggers or else the social services come knocking huh?

Just as I was figuring out how I could at last afford to take to the air again, about this time last year I got made redundant, lost the company car I didn't realise I had been relying on for over 12 years. I almost lost the house as well.

At the same time I was 'adopted' by various PMC members. Norman, Francis, Farmer Dave and Simon were the first. It didn't matter that I had no money, it was the enthusiasm I think that caught their eye. Then, to repay this support I volunteered to scout a few sites for the T2T.

You have to admire the outlook of someone who says to you "You've been made redundant? GREAT! We were looking for a driver for the camera crew on the T2T You're it!"

I later found out that I was second choice to a 19 year old eye candy college student who was actually uninsurable, but what the hell? I was going to Scotland with some of the best people I have ever met.

An afternoon stuck in a field in Scotland because of the weather gave me the chance of negotiating with the bank and saved the house Just! (Gotta love the Nokia batteries huh?

I have to at this point thank Dave from the camera crew for begrudgingly letting me stop by the Royal Preston hospital en-route to Scotland because my Mum had been rushed in. It turned out to be the last time I saw her alive.

Life goes on though, and the dream is still as bright as it's ever been. I was welcomed as a brother again at the tussock field known as the flagpole today.

IF your dream to fly is strong enough, these guys are by far your best bet. Don't let it pass you by.

Just over two years ago, before I had become involved in paramotoring, I was heavily into scuba diving. I spent all my time trying to figure out where and when I could next dive.

As misfortune would have it, I got a metal splinter in my leg that caused a raging infection. I was hospitalised for five weeks, spent time in the ICU and according to my lovely wife, she was told it was touch and go for a while. I didn't know about that, but I did know that the surgeons were on the verge of amputating my right leg at the hip.

It might surprise you to know that I wasn't worrying about what I would do with not being able to scuba dive again, but rather I was trying to figure out how to attach a fin to what would be left so I'd still be able to carry on.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is; look for the ways you CAN do the things you love, don't give up on them. At the very least, it might be that perseverance that actually keeps you going.

Try and keep the chin up, Phil

PS I am going to have an Adventure F3 for sale soon, perhaps we could work out a finance option? :-)

Cheers for all the suggestions!!

I understand where you are all coming from and probably need to stop feeling sorry for meself! I think its worse what with the lovely weather we have had!

I will keep my chin up though phil, i will also keep my other 2 chins up! I would also certainly be intrested in you F3 so keep me posted as to when you are thinking of selling and im certain we could sort something.

I tell you what you need mate, is a bit of air time to get your juices flowing again, next time we get some descent flyable weather and we are both available we are going down to lambourn and you WILL fly my motor and I wont take no for an answer :D:D

Dave.

Hey Frazer,

There is always a way mate - all you need to do is find it.

I think the syndication idea really has legs as long as the group really ties down the terms of their agreement. Damage, particularly to props makes us wince but a monthly sub from each member and a requirement to pay for at least the bulk of the damage you cause is likely to placate the other members if you bend the beastie.

Having share groups is actually a good idea from a number of standpoints really, you can join a couple if you are flush and broaden your experience of other motors before you buy. Nothing to stop a successful group buying more than one motor so that you can fly together.

There are downsides..... I had a share in a boat once. I did learn that you need to set the rules before you start and choose or vet your syndicate members very carefully. :wink:

There are downsides..... I had a share in a boat once. I did learn that you need to set the rules before you start and choose or vet your syndicate members very carefully. :wink:

Very true Norman, get the rules sorted out before any money changes hands, and dont be afraid to add new rules if you have to, the main thing is that you all get flying and for a small outlay.

Dave

I think the shared ownership idea is excellent. I know for a fact that if money were no object Simon and others would always have a selection of motors and wings for hire, and hopefully that is something for the future.

However, until that time a group of say 5 could look at buying a second hand motor and wing. We know the regular costs so they can be budgeted for in say a monthly sub. (Reserve checking/repacking annually, wing checking annually, motor servicing etc) could all be taken care of.

A 'sinking fund' could also be built up to cover any other eventualities such as a busted prop. Yes it should be down to the individual who busted it, but how many folks have done this and then had to wait ages until they have the money? If you've already paid your share, no problem and more importantly the group members can continue to fly.

Logistics would be another area to be careful of. No point for instance in me buying a share of a kit that is going to live in Scotland!

Pilots requirements too are an issue. I'm a lithe 90KG, so a motor that would suit say Colin would be just about enough to dry my hair :lol: Same with wing size etc.

These are figures lifted directly from a 1/5 share of a light aircraft I saw recently, scaled down for a paramotor kit

each member contributes 20% towards the purchase price, then £20 per month maintenance account, £5 per moth sinking fund and you provide your own fuel as and when needed. Hopefully it may be possible to insure the kit in the future too.

Each member has the right to 'sell on' their share, after they have offered it to the other members first. The other members have 2 weeks in which to decide, after that it can be sold outside the syndicate.

The rules can be decided among the members, no acro for instance would be a good one to have there?

I think it could work with the right group :D

I love it when things start coming together, and this forum is the place to do it for sure.

Its good of Simon to offer to store and book any kit in and out, come on you guys who wants to fly and lives within 30-40 miles of Lambourn, by this time next month you could have a share and be well on your way to getting in the air. it only need three people to get the ball rolling!!!

Dave

Get a motor that is cheep to maintain and reapir.

With more thrust then you think you will need.

Think of it as a 1000cc motorbike....

It still potters along at 30mph with ease.

SW :D

I should think the number would be up to the initial purchaser Frazer. A quarter strikes me as a good number for a paramotor, if you get too large a group, the chances of each individual being able to use it when they want diminishes. As it is, you are likely to get a rush on good days, and it might be well to write some sort of contingency for that into the share contract. The system often used in general aviation, is you can only book so far ahead, except with group dispensation (stops anyone booking up all the fly in's. And also a dead space after a booking, during which an individual can't rebook although in the event no-one else is using it, they would still be able to just use it there and then without a booking. That stops someone hogging a whole good week of forecast weather.