Interesting Flight

mike1714

Conditions yesterday were looking good for a flight.

After checking weather reports finally loaded up the car and headed off to where I shoot - Luton. Yes I know its not exactly Kent, but its large enough to accomodate a newbie like myself.

Set up my windsock and all was looking good. Walked the field and had a few pot shots at pidgeons and at 12 o clock things faired up nicely.

I tanked up fully and prepare my wing. Got up and was surprised how bloody heavy a full tank was, I usually fly with my instructor on about 3-5 litres when training.

Forward launch and I was away....straight up...no problems. The wind was varying in direction but I thought I was heading into it but wasnt lifting quick enough to clear the trees. i turned more into wind and managed to climb rapidly.

Only then did I notice dark bottomed clouds, but thought-no, they are not going to put me off!!

I was being buffeted about and rising and dropping but put faith in my Duduk Nemo which my instructor said would get me out of any problems.

I watched my altemeter and reached 1800 ft and was rising although I dropped the engine to tick over and watched the altemeter still rising. Gulp!! :? I checked my reserve behind my head...............just in case!

I anchored the brakes and began to gently pull on the B lines to lose height..............this worked and I felt relief. I then flew around within easy reach of my field just in case. After about half an hour I tried to check fuel with my mirror and it appeared that I was low on fuel? Strange? I filled it to its full capacity 13 litres!!!!

Landed safely, checked fuel to find I only used about 4 litres in 40 minutes.

I think I need a bigger mirror!!!!!

All in all I had a great big bloody grin on my face :) ........................until the next time!!

Happy flying people!

:D

Mike

13 litres is a bit excessive...

If i''m only going up for an hour I put 5 litres in the tank- 3 actually needed and 2 for just incase... bear in mind your fuel system cannot suck every last drop out of the tank when flying- there can be anything upto half a litre in the tank. If the engine gets excessive air during ocsillations/shaking then the engine will stop.

If you fill the tank in this case- that's an extra 7kgs your carrying.... in proportion to everything else you carry that's quite a bit.... Easyjet only allow you 20kgs!!!!!!!

Hi Mike

Glad you had a good flight. Where abouts in luton area are you flying? im in stevenage and do understand if you wish to keep the location secret!! I assume your away from luton airspace!

I as yet have not experienced the thermal effect. Must be a bit worrying first time around!!

Hi Mike

Good to hear that you had a successful away flight!!

Good work on the B lining back down - That Nemo Moto does like to climb.

Tried to pull the videos of your landing last week off of my mobile but my laptop doesn't want to play them for some reason. Hopefully see you soon.

Best regards,

Ian.

The idea of 13 litres was to stay up for a couple of hours.

Thinking about it now on reflection I could have gone up for an hour, land, fill up again and fly for another hour?

Hey, you live and learn, live and learn.

The flying area is off junction 12 about 5 minutes near harlington.

The farmer said I have till about towards the end of April, after which the wheat he is growing will be damaged. but then there will be plenty of time to fly after he has cut it down and prior to ploughing? :D

There is a fantastic place adjacent. nice slope, grass and not used for anything that I could see, direct access from the farm?

PM me our numer and \i will let you know when I am nex there?

Mike

Ian,

Yep.................fun all the way!!!! As I was up there I was going through all the information Andy was instilling in me.......................paid off!!!!

Look forward to seeing clip if you get it?

ps how did the 4x4 go? Still waiting for mine to be sorted.

Mike

The Series 3 Landy got us to the off road site and then back through some major lanes pretty much unscathed! We got through most of the obstacles and only had to be recovered a couple of times (once at the site and once on a green lane) and it was a great laugh. Still amazes me what a 35 year old truck can do.

A few scratches and minor dents, a bit of a rip in the canvas roof and a serious coating of mud inside and out, but nothing that a bash with a hammer, a bit of gaffer tape and the jet wash hasn't pretty much sorted.

Good fun for when it's not flyable!!!

You'll have to get yours going again. I have a spare gear/transfer box if you need a donor?

Ian.

Photo-0009-1.jpg

I've just started filling my tank up to almost 13 litres now every time I take off, the reason being simply because I make my decision what I want to do once I get in the air, if its smooth and good visibility then I'll go for a long ride round knowing i have plenty of fuel for it and i hate the thought of running out and having an avoidable land out. If I don't want to stay up there then I can come back down and learn to land the heavier load which should make me better at landing it lighter.

Different strokes for different folks!

Ian

Sounds as though someone has had some fun?

I am on the case with reference to my Series II box. I want to make sure I get to use it this summer................good and proper.

Listen Mate, if you want to fly you can always use my machine? Usual agreement I suppose ' You bend it, you mend it' !

Seriously though, its looking good for Sunday and Monday and i think I will be away then with the kids...........doing Dad stuff.

I have had Jeff get in contact with me for some flying as he has moved out to Rainham Way and is looking to fly with someone?

I told him to look under the Kent Banner.

Let me know?

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks fror the generous offer - I did enjoy the flight on your PAP the other day!

I have sourced some new (hopefully high quality) thinner exhaust mounts and so should hopefully have my own motor back in commission for the weekend.

Myself and Jeff have already exchanged numbers so will hopefully get in touch. I'm sure that Andy will be up for being joined by a fellow flyer, or we may be able to fly down on Romney Marsh.

Have fun with the "Dad stuff"!!!

Cheers,

Ian.