Whitters diary 24 03 09

helimed01

Dave is doing very well with handling the wing and is putting the rest of us to shame with his energy levels. He is amazing for a 60 year old.

Lunch and ground school before more ground handling. Dave has got the reverse launch technique off to a T but on forward launch he has a tendancy to pull down and forward on the A risers causing frontal tucks and upsetting the launch. He has an old shoulder injury and I think having his arms out stretched and hands behind him puts strain on his shoulder so we adjust the technique to suit but this needs a bit more work. He is getting better at the forward technique tho.

Late afternoon I left Dave alone to practice while I set off to get 2 of the remaining 3 unclaimed turn points from the 20 turn points Piers had provided. My navigation has improved greatly, despite fairly strong conditions and long legs between turnpoints i manage to track streight to them. The wind has now swung to the west so the turnpoints are upwing of me now which makes the return journey a pleasurable fast ride.

Flying upwind out to the turn points I remained 500 ft AGL and had to navigate arround a large earth work quarry for fear of engine out over it with poor landing options. On the return leg I climbed up to 780ft AGL to make use of the stronger down wind run and decided to fly over the quarry. Arriving overhead I selected landing options downwind just in case, then suddenly just as I was surveying the fields below that horrible sensation of the engine dying behind me occurred right over the middle of the quarry. I headed strieght for the field I had chosen arriving overhead with plenty of height. The field had a road on its border, the road went to a small town 1km away but had power lines on the upwind edge. Hoping I might be able to fix my engine and take off again I chose to land in a field a little further down wind from the road. This field had no fences posts or upwind power lines so would be better for take off.

However I would not be able to test that theory because the engine had seized. We suspect it has been sucking in air from the crank somewhere and had been running a bit lean which I had adjusted my carb to a richer mixture to compensate. The landing was fast but good in nil wind ground conditions caused by the slightly higher ground up wind causing greater variation in the wind gradient. I have been flying with an injured left ankle and this running landing caused me to twist it again. I then had to walk to the village carryng the motor and wing. Arriving there I sent my position to Pierrs who arranged the retrieve.

Whilst walking I was approached by a lovely old French man approx 80 years of age who described to me that he had been watching me through his binoculars, he couldn't speak English but was using hand/body language to communicate. His face was beaming with pleasure to see this flying machine up close. I took the machine off so he could have a proper look, he was delighted. I got to town a bit later followed by several fascinated locals, it was dark by the time I got t the town centre, the walk had loosened up my ankle again reducing the pain to a dull ache. Pierrs and Allan arrived within an hour which was great.

Flight=17 miles 39-mins Average ground speed 23.9 Max 64.4.

back to the house for food and sleep and to see how Dave had got on.

TBC