Reserve question

outkast

The type of PAP I fly is too old to have the HRS type reserve fitted from the factory, however i have purchased the HRS reserve container to fit on the top of the cage, what i need to now, maybe other PAP owners can tell me is, when looking for a reserve to go in it, other than one for my wieght of course, is there a specific make that PAP use in their HRS system?

Thanks, Dave.

Yes as Pete says and I was told by skydragons pretty much any one will fit. I free fly with a GIN one G but I already had a 2nd hand Apco mayday when I bought the PAP not sure of the size but a big un sold to the previous owner by RAD specifically for motoring. Had it repacked at aerofix who said it was a good reserve, never been chucked and the make's been around for a long time.

I was worried it wouldn't fit in the HRS but the HRS has very elastic sides and it went in a treat with the usual gentle pursuasion.

i went to a paragliding talk about reserve deployment and apparently the worst place to put a reserve is behind your head like the pap do, the reason is that pullin from behind the head would take extreem effort, this is assuming they come out easy and they dont, but also to add to that is the g force when falling would make it maybe feel five times harder, does anyone have any experience of this or thoughts regarding this?

Yes, I have thought about this. And also wondered if there is a greater chance of getting lines / bridals wrapped round your neck with the HRS between throwing and the chute opening. ie pulling it with your right hand, then throwing it to your left might cause this?. Not sure if there is a recognised method for throwing a HRS. I haven't seen one.

In our free flying club every year we suspend ourselves from a beam on a rope and others have fun spinning you round as fast as poss to simulate an accident before you throw your reseve and repack it under supervision, all good fun and educational. I might try it with the motor next time!

Dave, my pap has the reserve behind the head and on my last flight of last year I imagined myself falling to the earth and figured it would not be easy or natural to grab it in a hurry, I actually found it difficult and awkward to locate while just floating in a still breeze.

One of my purchases this year will be a front mounted container with cockpit. After I've splashed out on the latest Lumix camera of course! :D

apparently the best place is side mounted for bridal routing , front mounted has the potential to snap ya neck, seems crazy these manufacturers make motors and put them in places and i dont think they know why they do it apart from it looks good but yes it would be very hard locating one behind ya head never mind pulling it,

i think there needs to be a lot more work done from manufacturers as in tests and were to put reserves before they say this is the way cos of this and that . also just to mention the biggest reserve is always best regardless of your weight, this is all from a paragliding chap who gave a talk on them the pros and cons if you like, im sure there will be chaps here who have there own theories too

leoibb, which reserve do you fly with and where is it mounted ?

The reason I'm asking is the majority of folk I see flying don't have one, so regardless of where you mount one, surely it's safer to have one with you somewhere rather than flying with no reserve at all ???? :?:

yes i got a metamophosi and it is side mounted left as i am left handed, throttle in my right hand. i have a set up at home in garage were i pull it and throw it i have it wrapped in a bag so it dont accually come out but , its just to drill a reaction in to my head really , because altho some fly with them they can be more of a problem if they dont get pulled and thrown right. so as a result of that i spend some time in the garage reachin and throwin it, it also lets me know it comes out fairly easy without struggling with it. i know it aint brilliant and a real life situation is or would be different but it is the closest i can find, but as i say it is to build the action in to a habit and a reaction, i know of instructors that dont use them im not too educated or experienced enough to say yes have one or no dont but i wouldnt feel right for some reason without mine , i guess its security

The Metamorfosi deployment handle caught a line or two as I was launching one fine day, when the snag had come undone I didn't realize the bag was deploying (out of sight out of mind). Suppose a line could catch on any reserve handle but I ditched the side mounting and hard plastic handle for a in-front SupAir container with instrument panel and a BIG RED soft handle what won't catch lines.

I don't like going UP without me mergency chute,

Back ups good,

Marko D.

mmm i check it all time but the way it is if the lines came up they would or do slide over the handle the lines would have to be traveling downwards for it to happen on mine?

but i check it regardless