Low or High Hang Points

malc

Hi, I am way off ready for a motor, but a couple of questions to those in the know.

are motors usable with both hi and lo hanging?

what are the pro's and con's to each hang point?

is one better than the other for a novice?

Thanks for any info,

Malc

are motors usable with both hi and lo hanging?

No

Hi will feel smoother in rough air but you will not feel what your wing is doing, very little weight shift if any

Low will feel bumpier in rough air you will feel what your wing is doing, you can weight shift to counter torque steer or to turn.

is one better than the other for a novice?

Low easier to feel the wing on the ground and in the air

This is only my personal opinion and you should seek advise from a suitably qualified person :D:D

Pete b

I normally use low hang points, but at the weekend I used a motor with high hangpoints, and discovered some more advantages of high hangpoints:

• Torque is less of a problem, no need to weight shift to counter it.

• The angle of thrust remains more constant when launching and getting into the harness, some instructors may feel this makes them more suitable for beginners. Ask your instructor.

I found the feedback and the ability to weight shift in flight was OK, but I still prefer low hangpoints, because of much better feedback and control when ground handling. In fact, I found it very difficult to keep the wing overhead when ground handling, something I don’t normally have a problem with.

Paul D

• 2 weeks later...

I normally use low hang points, but at the weekend I used a motor with high hangpoints, and discovered some more advantages of high hangpoints:

• Torque is less of a problem, no need to weight shift to counter it.

• The angle of thrust remains more constant when launching and getting into the harness, some instructors may feel this makes them more suitable for beginners. Ask your instructor.

I found the feedback and the ability to weight shift in flight was OK, but I still prefer low hangpoints, because of much better feedback and control when ground handling. In fact, I found it very difficult to keep the wing overhead when ground handling, something I don’t normally have a problem with.

Paul D

thanks for input,

I hooked in lower in my harness and I had more success with getting the wing up.

V satisfying.

Malc.