safe landin

Guest leoibb

You type faster than me Norman. I dropped my last post in, after a pause, to realise you'd beat me to it.

I guess it's unlikely that solicitors, investigating a potential case, would delve around in our records on here and if they did, I suppose they might treat information found as not literal, due to the source, (non intended) It's an emmotive topic for me right now, as I'm still angry that my premiums are rising on account of someones dishonesty. I will try to be a little more rational in future statements.

In previous posts I've advocated that it might be a good idea to overload a good wing by up to 50 kgs over the max placard weight. I think I'll retract that now. Guilty your honour :oops:

I forgot a fundamental point. Forums are for the sharing of information. doh :?

Gordon mentioned instructors. I've seen three or four at work. The BHPA guy (hill not motor) was very thorough, by comparrison,

Dave

[quote name="Gordon Dunn

Dave you are infact right here- Liability is an issue. Unless you are a qualified instructor you shouldn't be giving advice. If you are a BHPA Club Coach' date=' you can 'coach' a BHPA club member, providing they have a BHPA rating already.

I've noticed a lot of people on this forum giving advice- desipite some very low hours, no rating or formal qualifications, and very little experience- you do need to be careful.

The situation in the Repulic of Ireland, forces potential pilots to go to a recognised school to get a rating, before applying for their exemption certificate- this is by far a better system than the UK. More awkard, and certainly more work, but we don't get people asking if it's safe to land in 'wind shadow'.........[/quote]

Will the PMC course be recognised by the IAA so Uk pilots can apply for an exemption and come over here and fly?

Dean

You type faster than me Norman. I dropped my last post in, after a pause, to realise you'd beat me to it.

I guess it's unlikely that solicitors, investigating a potential case, would delve around in our records on here and if they did, I suppose they might treat information found as not literal, due to the source, (non intended) It's an emmotive topic for me right now, as I'm still angry that my premiums are rising on account of someones dishonesty. I will try to be a little more rational in future statements.

In previous posts I've advocated that it might be a good idea to overload a good wing by up to 50 kgs over the max placard weight. I think I'll retract that now. Guilty your honour :oops:

I forgot a fundamental point. Forums are for the sharing of information. doh :?

Gordon mentioned instructors. I've seen three or four at work. The BHPA guy (hill not motor) was very thorough, by comparrison,

Dave

Norman

Did the CAA or any other body approve the PMC course which ye are running? Apart from those who are teaching the course , who has looked at the sylabus to say it is fit to do the job, I understand that you are using some of the best in the business but when someone writes up a sylabus and training schedule there is always someone else to approve it ...those writting it will of course put their best effort into it but its only human to error. Does the like of these courses need to be aproved by a state body or can anyone from the street start his own courses and ratings.

Dean

yes i forgot there is the rated instructors i had forgot about those, but not had any dealings with them, there is the ones who teach with no qualification tho these were the ones i was talkin about,

every time i say somethin on here it gets a good response so i guess that is good for the forum it gets people discussin things lol

yes and you are right just because it hasnt happened does not mean it wont and it is one thing that can be easily be forgot and then over confidence kicks in.

just curious to know who are the bhpa instructors?

I would hate to have to preface every post with:

My views are subject to change without notification provided I have accrued sufficient motivation to do so. Any previous record of my opinion is just that and anyone using said information to modify their life in any way already owns full responsibility for their actions as pilot in control.

Yeesh. Put one to sleep that.

I appreciate the 'local' instructor ratings requirements fellas, but while this forum was formed in the UK, it is global in scope now. Look at me, from across the pond, right at home.

Canadian instructors need a sign off too, but I expect many countries don't, since the sport doesn't exist there in any concentration dangerous to the populous.

My point is simply that what we have here is a melting pot of ideology which, in my opinion has been one of the more civil and respectful spots to vent and absorb I've come across.

My verbal hug to you for stepping in with some clarity and intent.

That said, I agree that facts assist one's point and even better - video!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsko3_ ... -sotavento

Wind shadow / rotor should be visible in your spidey sense long before you ever put yourself in the position for it to smite you down.

This fellow looks like he didn't see it coming.

Norman

Did the CAA or any other body approve the PMC course which ye are running? Apart from those who are teaching the course , who has looked at the syllabus to say it is fit to do the job, I understand that you are using some of the best in the business but when someone writes up a syllabus and training schedule there is always someone else to approve it ...those writing it will of course put their best effort into it but its only human to error. Does the like of these courses need to be aproved by a state body or can anyone from the street start his own courses and ratings.

Dean

Dean,

'The CAA' don't know anything about paramotoring. They have someone who advises them on paramotoring matters - one of my colleagues by all accounts. There isn't anyone to 'approve' any PPG course in the UK who is subject to approval from a higher authority. With PPG there isn't a 'higher authority' or a centre of excellence with CAA 'Approval.' Everyone always looks to a higher level for validation - there isn't one. The Wright brothers didn't have a higher authority to look to, PPG is a comparatively new sport that has been left to its own devices by most Authorities around the world due to its fairly benign nature and the lack of will to administer it from the CAA and the like. With these fringe aviation activities governments tend to prefer to delegate the organisation and administration to the strongest and most credible interest group available.

EASA will probably step in soon and require just such a body to be formed. They will do it through the 'local' authority - the UK CAA who will almost certainly ask the BHPA to fulfil the role as they have the experience (nothing like as much as the independent sector) and the staff/infrastructure to do the job. We must all prepare for this day because I think it is coming. If the BHPA rise to the occasion, become less PG/HG centric and don't dissolve into a political revenge fest, it might even be a good thing for the sport imho.

Our Instructors course has oversight. Piers Dent and Paul Haxby have excellent reputations and probably more PPG instructional experience that most if not all other PPG instructors in the UK. They are fiercely independent as examiners and have a developed sense of responsibility. The course candidates know this and will rise to the occasion. I believe that the course will meet exacting standards but that remains to be seen. I have been working on the system for over a year and Piers has been writing the flying syllabus for the last couple of months.

Wait and see Dean, if it's 'pants' you will soon get to hear about it. :lol:

Norman,

I can understand where Dean is coming from with his question- basically pilots in the south of Ireland have 2 options at present- go to the IHPPA or the BHPA. There is one IHPPA school in Ireland, and no BHPA schools- currently most pilots are going to Spain, France or Portugal to gain a rating. If the PMC qualification was validated by the IAA then Irish pilots would have a greater choice- PMC instructors may even be able to train in Ireland. Have you any plans to approach the IAA?

Jeepers Gordon,

So many questions, so little time.

There a great number of things happening at the moment, Simon is just about to return from his desert sojourn and we have an instructors course starting on the 6th March with ab-initio's following on later in the month.

The landscape is moving at quite a rapid rate here, Simon will have ideas about what he wants to do with his organisation. With Stuart and others I have been holding the fort while he was away acting as a moderator here and constructing the new Manual and training system.

After a time I think Simon will be able to brief the changes he has in mind, for my part I hope to be able to withdraw a little and get a life. :lol: Oh, and do that other stuff..... non day-job flying with ripstop and two stroke.

Sorry Gordon, I know this doesn't answer your question. Talk to the IAA? I will give them a ring to try and establish what their requirements are - we have housework to sort before we do too much extra....

Norman

I was by no means knocking what Piers and Paul are doing or their ability to train - I am in no psition to do this, but we are regulated by the IAA in Southern Ireland and any such course would have to be approved by them before it could run, I knew the UK was'nt regulated but am amazed that any Joe Soap could set up a sylabus and start a training course/ structure without having to have it ok'ed by those in authority, the IAA had recognised the BMAA (before they threw the toys out of the pram) and the BHPA as a standard for all to adhere to so it would be impossble to do this in Ireland.

I had assumed that there was someone in authority( CAA or likewise) to oversee this, please excuse my ignorance :shock:

Dean :D